Hawaii Questions

Italy52

DH and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Hawaii -- round trip Los Angeles to Los Angeles.  We already know there will be a lot of sea days so that is not an issue.  Here are some of our questions that I am hoping we can get some answers to:

1.  Best time to cruise:  Are the seas better for cruising one month over another? 

2.  How about weather:  What month would have the least amount of rain?

3.  Would like to go on a whale watching excursion.  What month is best for whale watching?

4.  Is it possible to see an active volcano from the ship? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

We have done six cruises to Hawaii from San Pedro California. Here are the answers to the best of my knowledge.

1. July/August Seas can be rough starting in November.

2.July/June Hawaii is drier during the summer months.

3. Whales arrive in the Islands usually in December. They head to Alaska waters during the summer months. 

4. Maybe..... if an eruption is big enough you can see smoke and dust from Hilo or Kona. Seeing a lava flow at night is not likely. For best viewing take a excursion to Volcano National park. 

This should get you started. Tim

• Thanks 2

We have done this cruise several times.  Weather is no big deal anytime we've gone. It's about the immersion experience on this itinerery. Elua is the team we enjoy. 

Volcano action has been on the south side of Hawaii. The ships usually go to the north, however I did read of one ship thatsailed around the south to see an eruption, but I can't say from experience.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Princess summer cruises to Hawaii are new for 2023.  We will be onboard the Emerald in July with our 8 yr old granddaughter (and her parents).  We expect the ship to have a ton of kids onboard.

I forgot to add, on the Emerald to Hawaii, 16 day roundtrip from San Pedro.

• Thanks 1

In the past there were not many kids on the 15 day Hawaiian sailings. Now with Princess sailing to the Islands during the summer that might change. August will probably be less kids with schools starting in August. I have been on cruises where kids were on board with their books doing homework on the Lido deck. Once this summer has passed we will know what to expect from the summer sailings. Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your valuable input, we appreciate it very much.

Since we usually sail to Alaska a couple of times during the summer months, we will probably look outside that window for Hawaii.  However, it is good to know what Hawaii would be like if we did sail during the summer months --- it is nice to have options.

On my iPhone so this will be brief. 

Best time to see whales? End of Jan, Feb, and March. 

Beat ocean….anytime. Winter may have some big swells (north shore big wave surfing). 

Summer is new for Princess. Good time for families. Not sure if ELUA will be onboard.  Best of the best teams.  Refer to above link. 

Best weather?  Winter can be raining (thundering and flooding this week). Summer can be hot and humid. Spring is really pretty decent. 

Being on a cruise ship for 10 sea days ….anytime!

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Not sure if ELUA will be onboard.  Best of the best teams.  Refer to above link. 

Aloha,

Aw shucks…how sweet! We will be working this summer, but only for two cruises. The July 6 and the August 6(?) on the Emerald Princess.

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

• Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 3:43 PM, Italy52 said:

DH and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Hawaii -- round trip Los Angeles to Los Angeles.  We already know there will be a lot of sea days so that is not an issue.  Here are some of our questions that I am hoping we can get some answers to:

1.  Best time to cruise:  Are the seas better for cruising one month over another? 

2.  How about weather:  What month would have the least amount of rain?

3.  Would like to go on a whale watching excursion.  What month is best for whale watching?

4.  Is it possible to see an active volcano from the ship? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

We have seen lava flow twice on Hawaii cruises, but they were the one way itineraries from Vancouver on Celebrity. The evening we sailed from Hilo to Kona. It was really something and the Captain was able to get fairly close. I know HAL also used to sail past on some of their itineraries. 
We were just on the Royal Princess itinerary out of SFO in January and sat on Kaanapali beach and watched the whales go by all day. January to March is the peak time for whales. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1