No Excursions in Rome

JWY5119

We are due to go on the Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn cruise on Viking Star in May. Reservations for the shore excursions are due to be available in a couple of days time. I have noticed there are NO excursions in Rome!!  Can anyone explain?

it appears that Viking sells back to back cruises as one cruise. On the turnover day they do not have tours as they are too busy getting ready for new people and getting people who terminate in the city off. This happens in Athens, Venice and Rome. In Rome you can get off and do an excursion on your own. I am stuck with Venice which docks in Chioggia and has no excursions for the full day we are there and no easy way to do any excursions on our own as those all start from Venice. I have read that some people get off the ship and spend the two nights in Venice to be able to do things but that is both expensive and an inconvenience to pack for two days. I keep hoping Viking will do something for us.

• Like 3

We are on the Viking Star, Istanbul to Barcelona in May. Our excursions opened five days ago. Not only are there no excursions offered for Rome, the second day in Athens and the second day in Venice are also still blank. I have had three lengthy polite conversations with Viking staff and have pretty much given up on getting a straight answer from them. I'm not overly concerned about it, but it would be comforting to get a straight answer out of them. The first two agents explained to me that I'm really on three cruises, and the Athens and Venice ports are embark/debark days and that's why there is a delay in getting them posted, but not to worry, they will be up by the day your excustions open online. But...but... "I bought ONE cruise from you" says I. No matter, you actually bought three. The third agent was quite puzzled they were not up yet, and after a 10 minute hold for her to talk with her supervisor she still could not tell me why they were not there yet. However,  she did assure me she would get an answer for me and call me back with details within a day or two... Promise!!  That was last week. Not too concerned about Rome, we have been there, and I understand almost four hours of the day will be a combination of standing next to, or sitting in, buses. However, in Vencie we booked a hotel room for the second/third day. We are signed up for "Venice On Your Own" for day 3, so we have a ride back to the ship, but nothing to get us ashore on day two. Again, I'm sure it will work out. but getting a straight answer would be nice for planning. Athens we are doing Delphi day one and it would be great to do the downtown zoo on the second day. Given the ticket lines I would like to stay with a Viking tours if I can. The first conversation with Viking staff over this I was told I would be able to book "on ship". Not the best answer.

Edited by Vagabond51

We are on the Sky Barcelona to Venice in March. I did ask about the lack of tours in Rome. I was told that there will be tours in Rome both included and optional and they would be available to book once we board in Barcelona. The computer system does not have the ability to book tours in stops that has people coming on board and leaving the ship on the same day.

Hope this helps.

The Rome excursions will be made available after your cruise leaves it's initial port.  They will provide you with the list on paper and it will also be on your in-room TV screen.  Don't worry about it, Viking will provide excursions.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

We are on the Sky Barcelona to Venice in March. I did ask about the lack of tours in Rome. I was told that there will be tours in Rome both included and optional and they would be available to book once we board in Barcelona. The computer system does not have the ability to book tours in stops that has people coming on board and leaving the ship on the same day.

Hope this helps.

That is exactly what will happen. You will find out on board what tours are being offered on the changeover day(s). You will have time to shuffle your touring schedule around if you wish. These tours are not available to guests who are arriving that day no matter how early they arrive and to control access, they are not available for booking on MVJ. The tours will be chosen from among those that you see on the Viking website.

2 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

but it would be comforting to get a straight answer out of them

I gave up on the call center years ago. If I have a question, I e-mail TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

The first conversation with Viking staff over this I was told I would be able to book "on ship". Not the best answer.

Actually, it was the best answer -- and the correct one.

However, in Vencie we booked a hotel room for the second/third day.

Make sure to let Viking know that you will be off the ship overnight -- and that you confirm the back on board time (because things can change bue to unforseen circumstances).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Actually, it was the best answer -- and the correct one.

Make sure to let Viking know that you will be off the ship overnight -- and that you confirm the back on board time (because things can change bue to unforseen circumstances).

Thank you!  for the confirmation. It's nice to know there is limited access and the tours will mirror those offered on the other day in port. I couldn't imagine Viking would leave us sitting on deck in Venice, Athens and the road to Rome without at least ground transport. We'll probably be so exhausted from the previous week we would benefit from being left on board. 🙂

Edited by Vagabond51

Having just completed the first two segments of what can actually be a four segment cruise (from Barcelona to Istanbul) in April, I was scrolling down to post the explanation. However, glad to see Peregrina got here first!

Rome was the turn around day for our portion of the cruise and we did receive excursion options once on board. I honestly cannot remember how many were offered. Since we had been to Rome previously, we just took the included panoramic tour. It was a relaxing ride, with over an hour of free time in the Vatican. Since it was Easter Saturday, that was an interesting experience just from the atmosphere in St. Peter's Square. We also had time to return to a familiar pizza place nearby for a quick lunch. For a first visit to Rome, I think it would be a disappointment. For us it was a nice way to spend half a day.

We did enjoy the Barcelona to Venice cruise so much that we are finishing the route from Venice to Istanbul in the fall.

If you want an excellent tour of Rome from Civitivecchia, RomeCabs will provide door to door service and you will see so much more than on a bus trip.  We have used them three times and couldn't have had better tours.  You only live once.🍸

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

If you want an excellent tour of Rome from Civitivecchia, RomeCabs will provide door to door service and you will see so much more than on a bus trip.  We have used them three times and couldn't have had better tours.  You only live once.🍸

Always a good option, thanks for the recommendation. Would any experienced Viking traveler be willing to give odds as to the option of "Rome On Your Own" being offered. We would like to visit some smaller churches, artwork and museums if we can make it work. Of note: the Metropolitan Museum of Rome, right across the street from the downtown train station, has probably the worlds finest collections of ancient coins. The whole basement is one big vault. I could spend all day there. True history. Five to six hours is going to be a crunch.

Many thanks to all the responses received.  I am feeling much, much better with all the information posted and understand (mostly) of the processes with passengers embarking and disembarking at various ports (Athens, Venice and Rome).  We are sailing from Athens to Barcelona and look forward to the experience.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Vagabond51 said:

Of note: the Metropolitan Museum of Rome, right across the street from the downtown train station, has probably the worlds finest collections of ancient coins. 

Near the Roma Termini, I see this museum: 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/National+Museum+of+Rome+-+Baths+of+Diocletian/@41.9016812,12.495837,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x132f61a6daf8255b:0xd47a34eb0f9a22d5!8m2!3d41.9032036!4d12.4992831!16zL20vMDNzcnp6

Is that the one with the ancient coin collection? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

For a first visit to Rome, I think it would be a disappointment. For us it was a nice way to spend half a day.

I have to say, "Ditto!"

On the other hand, if this is your only visit to Rome, it covers a lot ground in a short period and you see quite a lot from the bus and if you do nothing else, at least you have done something.

It is basically a drive-by tour of the highlights of Rome. We took it because we had arrived late afternoon the day before and I knew that I would be jet-lagged and in need of a good nap. I slept the entire way to and from Rome. We had a nice walk along the Tiber River, away from the crowds, once we got to Vatican City. But we had done Rome before (4 or 5 nights while DD the are history major was doing 2 semesters in Florence) and just wanted the free bus ride, the nap time and the stroll.

When we did the B2B the prior year, with changeover day in Rome, we took the tour to Ancient Ostia on one day and to Tarquina for the Etruscan Necropolis the next -- and I suggest either of them for history buffs. We never got into Rome on that trip. We also did the visit to Lucca, which in spite of the rain that day was also enjoyable.

14 hours ago, flare3192 said:

it appears that Viking sells back to back cruises as one cruise. On the turnover day they do not have tours as they are too busy getting ready for new people and getting people who terminate in the city off. This happens in Athens, Venice and Rome. In Rome you can get off and do an excursion on your own. I am stuck with Venice which docks in Chioggia and has no excursions for the full day we are there and no easy way to do any excursions on our own as those all start from Venice. I have read that some people get off the ship and spend the two nights in Venice to be able to do things but that is both expensive and an inconvenience to pack for two days. I keep hoping Viking will do something for us.

this is indeed what is happening on our next cruise which is Bangkok to Mumbai then Mumbai to Athens. Nothing on the arrival day for current cruise ( 2 night stop). But there is on the day after embarkation. The issue I have with excursions is that those on the combined cruise get their full excursion selection even before the PV on ours. 

Edited by Pushka

19 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

Always a good option, thanks for the recommendation. Would any experienced Viking traveler be willing to give odds as to the option of "Rome On Your Own" being offered. We would like to visit some smaller churches, artwork and museums if we can make it work. Of note: the Metropolitan Museum of Rome, right across the street from the downtown train station, has probably the worlds finest collections of ancient coins. The whole basement is one big vault. I could spend all day there. True history. Five to six hours is going to be a crunch.

If you have never been, I highly recommend visiting the Borghese Gallery It has some of the most incredible sculpture I've ever seen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you have never been, I highly recommend visiting the Borghese Gallery It has some of the most incredible sculpture I've ever seen.

Bernini's Apollo and Daphne defies belief that someone could create that from stone. It has the same effect on me that Michelangelo's David has on so many people. 

The timed entry ticket system that the Borghese employs makes it a welcome change to be able to see the art without the usual crowds. If I had only one day in Rome, I could imagine spending it at the Roman Forum and the Borghese. I suppose many people would place the Vatican higher on their list, and I can understand that too.

• Like 4

SempreMare... yes... the National Museum. My apologies. It has been nearly 15 years and somehow Metropolitan stuck in my brain, not National. If memory serves, there is also Diocletion's 15 foot hot hub carved out of a sigle chunk of purple granite. It made a memorable impression also.

Borghese Gallery is a must if you are an art lover. Worth the hassle to get in. Agree!

We spent 11 days in Rome and 3 in Florence over a decade ago. That time allocation was a HUGE mistake. Should have reversed that and we always recommend that course of action to friends making their first trip. I'm very much looking forward to being in Florence again. They know what they have and they take VERY good care of it. I missed the Doumo Museum and the Bibliotech library last time. #1 and 2 this time. Will spend the night just for the extra two ands half hours of what would be bus time. If your going to Florence read Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King. You will be pleased you did so when you get there.

Two other very nice memories, although they are in Florence also. In the Pitti Palace there is an inlayed stone table made from various rock pieces. 10 foot by 4 or so. It is a scene of a pagent procession through the hills around Florence. Horses, carriages, flags, walkers, etc. It is EXQUISITE. Not a seam to be seen. You can see the faces of the horses in stone pieces.

Also in Florence there is a military weapon museum out near Santa Croce. Three floors. Goes from clubs, rocks and flint arrows right up to WWII, in order. Beautifully preserved pieces of weaponry, if you appreciate that sort of thing. Worth the time to find and see.

And if you have made the rounds to some of the main "must do's" already, Volterra is worth seeing. My best memory there; a sign in English in a case next to a gold weaved mesh ring. It read something along the lines of goldsmiths and craftsmen for centuries have been unable to duplicate the craftmanship of this piece. They have it under a magnifying glass to appreciate what your seeing.

50 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Bernini's Apollo and Daphne defies belief that someone could create that from stone. It has the same effect on me that Michelangelo's David has on so many people. 

Ah, but have you seen Bernini's David?

Overheard while waiting to get into the Borghese Gallery, talking about Bernini's David vs Michelangelo's, something to the effect that once you have seen Bernini's, Michelangelo's pales in comparison. And when we final got into the gallery, damned if she wasn't right! Then we saw Daphne and Apollo and Persephone. It is definitely time to go back!

I'll save you the search, but I won't post the pictures because I would not want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see these statues for the first live and not in photos.

Michelangelo: https://h6c7b8u9.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/david-full-front.jpg

Bernini: https://joelisaak.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/bernini-david1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Michelangelo's David to Bernini's is 122 years. Alot of refinemint in a century of competition. Better... I dunno, I might have to disagree, but you know, that's art. 🙂  Maybe a true renaissance man and a rock star, but maybe I'm oversimplifying it, and I'm biased to boot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2023 at 7:02 PM, JWY5119 said:

We are due to go on the Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn cruise on Viking Star in May. Reservations for the shore excursions are due to be available in a couple of days time. I have noticed there are NO excursions in Rome!!  Can anyone explain?

Very glad you asked the question because we were wondering the same on our upcoming June cruise on the 21-night Viking Sky from Barcelona to Rome to Venice to Athens. Disappointed our ship only stops in Rome for just a short day whereas it stops in Venice for 3 days. They should've moved one day from Venice to Rome since there's so much to see in Rome not to mention the ship no longer docks in Venice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YWW said:

They should've moved one day from Venice to Rome since there's so much to see in Rome not to mention the ship no longer docks in Venice.

While I agree that there should be more time in Rome, remember that Rome is also a distance from where the ship docks -- and Florence and Athens as well. All of these major cities are a long bus or train ride from where the ships dock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

While I agree that there should be more time in Rome, remember that Rome is also a distance from where the ship docks -- and Florence and Athens as well. All of these major cities are a long bus or train ride from where the ships dock.

Yes, Rome is about 1.5 hrs away from the dock but why 2 nights/3 days in Venice? To me it makes more sense to have 1 overnight than 2 overnights in Venice to allow extra time in Rome. Yes, ship dock in Venice is 1.25 hrs by water taxi to the heart of Venice.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic reminded me of our Viking Cruise last year where I noticed the same lack of excursions for Rome.  Due to the uncertainty, I and some others on that cruise booked an independent tour with ItalyTours.EU (https://www.italytours.eu/).   It turned out to be a great decision with great value.  We did their Best of Rome and Vatican Small Group Tour.  The only complication was that I had to book the Colosseum tickets independently.  They sell out fast but I was fortunate to get them (others did not).

Firstly, thanks to @JWY5119 for starting the thread, and all who have posted - I've learnt a lot!

On 2/19/2023 at 2:36 AM, Pushka said:

The issue I have with excursions is that those on the combined cruise get their full excursion selection even before the PV on ours. 

I can certainly understand you being somewhat upset.

However, if that is the case in general on back-to-back cruises, I must admit that it would be the other side of the coin for me and maybe work to my advantage.

in my case the whole trip appears as a single voyage on MVJ and only one date is shown regarding the opening of excursion availability. So can I ask if it is normal for booking excursions on the second cruise of a back-to-back to open when the first does?............ @Peregrina651???????? 🙂

I can olny share our experience. We are booked for what appears to be a combination of three cruises for a total of 28 days, Istanbul to Barcelona. We bought it thinking it was one cruise. The cruise is for most the entire month of May.  We have no choices available on MVJ for the second day in Athens, seven days into the cruise. We do have an excusursion for the first day. Seven days later we have no excursion availability for the second day in Venice on MVJ. We DO have booked excursions the day we get in and the day we leave, but not the second day. Seven days later no excursions offered for Rome. It is our understanding from reading here we will be offered a limited set of excursions for those 3 days once we board, or shortly there after. The issue I have the most hearburn over is the way it was, or was not, communicated to us. Even Viking reps on the phone did not know what was going on.

I could grumble a bit that I upgraded our stateroom so as to get the excursions that meant the most to us, and 3 of the 28 days that simply was not available. Again, it's not so much the final outcome as it was a lot of time and frustration that could have been avoided if Viking was more forthcoming. I spent a great deal of time on the phone trying to get answers, twice sitting on hold for 10 minutes while the rep talked with someone at corporate who "knew", but did not, as they "assured us" excursions for those three days would come up in MVJ by opening excusion day.

We have decided to take Viking out of the loop for all 3 of those days. We made our own transportation and venue arrangements. Given the recent post about Venus leaving a day early out of Venice due to weather... that was a bit of a "pay attention here" moment, but in the end you pay your money and you take your chances. We believe we have made the best decision, "for us". Hope this helps.