Boston to Salem excursion?

JAMESCC

We are on Liberty OTS October to Canada/NE. Our first port stop is Boston and we want to go to Salem. Last time we did this cruise it was offered. A bunch of excursions were loaded last week but unfortunately nothing to Salem. You think it might still pop up? Is it a crazy idea to try to get here and back on our own? It's kinda far I think. Thanks for any help. 

Bostonian here - the traffic in Salem in October is next level awful on the weekends. Like backs up miles on to the highway. Not sure what day you'll be in Boston, but I wouldn't try to do it by car on your own. And it's always on public transit as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

Bostonian here - the traffic in Salem in October is next level awful on the weekends. Like backs up miles on to the highway. Not sure what day you'll be in Boston, but I wouldn't try to do it by car on your own. And it's always on public transit as well.

Thanks, we'll be there i think October 21 which of course is so close to Halloween which from I remember from last time we were there on an excursion is like Salem's Superbowl. I really hope they offer an excursion otherwise I'd say we will not try it at all. Can't take a chance of missing the ship. I just remember it being so much fun last time we were there. We went to a Salem witch trials museum. Very interesting, and educational. Thanks for the info, appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Thanks, we'll be there i think October 21 which of course is so close to Halloween which from I remember from last time we were there on an excursion is like Salem's Superbowl. I really hope they offer an excursion otherwise I'd say we will not try it at all. Can't take a chance of missing the ship. I just remember it being so much fun last time we were there. We went to a Salem witch trials museum. Very interesting, and educational. Thanks for the info, appreciate it. 

It is definitely pretty cool in Salem, although there are a ton of subject matter specific tours in Boston (I'm sure some excursions, others may not be) that you might find interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubyfisch said:

It is definitely pretty cool in Salem, although there are a ton of subject matter specific tours in Boston (I'm sure some excursions, others may not be) that you might find interesting.

Yeah, if it's not offered as an excursion there are a few others that look cool. Some educational Boston specific excursions. 

On 2/20/2023 at 9:10 AM, JAMESCC said:

I was there last October.  It was the first day of the Salem's Haunted Happenings which is their month long Halloween celebration.  It was a zoo, even though it was raining half the day.

Go to post 215 and you can see my pictures from Salem.  What i did was I rented a car from Avis which is about a 10 minute walk from the port.  Its in one of the hotels.  I just drove up there.  It was about a 45-60 minute drive.  When i got into town, it was insane, and it was the absolute first day of the festival.  I don't want to know how crowded it gets closer to Halloween.  I came in on a Saturday morning. 

Parking.  What would be easy parking, you have to switch gears and think event parking.  Any parking lot within walking distance is going to try and charge you thirty bucks or more.  Street parking is limited to residents only, and if you try to park, they WILL tow you.  Good luck at trying to find a metered spot, which prices are jacked up because of the event.  However, they do prepare.  There are plenty of satellite parking if you go online to find one of these lots.  I parked at the Okeefe Center at 225 Canal St.  They have shuttles going back and forth every 10 minutes or so.  Fair warning, we rode an actual school bus.  I haven't been on one of those since i was IN school.  Still gives me anxiety.

Also, many of the attractions don't really take too long.  I went to the Salem Witch Museum, and its less of a museum than it is a presentation of the Salem Witch Trials.  It took maybe an hour and a half at most.  If you're curious about some of the other attractions, you can easily fit 2, maybe even 3 in.  Once we finished, we actually had a lot of time left even after lunch. 

You need to get tickets beforehand, especially during the Haunted happenings.  I did not go into any of the Haunted Houses.  They weren't quite open yet when we were there and even if they were, it was raining, and my wife would never go into one of those things and leaving her outside in the rain is a sure way to annoy her.  To my dismay, there are a LOT of places other than the Salem Witch Museum like the Salem Witch House and the Witch Dungeon Museum.  All places I would have loved the check out if tickets were available.  Some only go on sale that day, but you can get it online.  That means you need internet connection onboard as there is a day at sea between Bayonne and Boston if Boston is your first port of call.

Overall, I LOVED Salem, but it was very crowded and you can't just show up without a plan.  I was fortunate that my plan held up, but it could have easily collapsed.  I was not prepared for Haunted Happenings as I thought it was just some local festival.  IT IS NOT.  It is a highly coveted and attended event.

• Like 1

When we were in Salem last Fall (October 15) it was extremely crowded, with people on the main street (closed to traffic) walking shoulder to shoulder in all directions.  It was difficult making our way down the street.  The pictures in @Rogueperson's post look deserted in comparison to what we experienced.  There were long lines for everything, even just to go into a store, get a bite to eat, or use the restroom.  I would not recommend trying to go there on October 21 and would be surprised if the ship offered an excursion there due to the nightmarish traffic, especially when leaving Salem.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, derorim said:

When we were in Salem last Fall (October 15) it was extremely crowded, with people on the main street (closed to traffic) walking shoulder to shoulder in all directions.  It was difficult making our way down the street.  The pictures in @Rogueperson's post look deserted in comparison to what we experienced.  There were long lines for everything, even just to go into a store, get a bite to eat, or use the restroom.  I would not recommend trying to go there on October 21 and would be surprised if the ship offered an excursion there due to the nightmarish traffic, especially when leaving Salem.

I intentionally composed the pictures with the least amount of people in them so they may appear pretty deserted.  It was not.  There were lines but not for everything and this is after a torrential downpour.  Also, most of the pictures were taken before noon.  I know this because I went to the Lobster Shanty as it opened at noon and those pictures I took, were on my way there. The crowds were growing as we left at around 3 or 4 as the rain had moved on at that point.

However, given the scope of this.  I do not doubt that you are exaggerating between day 1 and day 15 of the festival.  It will be a zoo.  My point was that it was crowded on day 1.  OP.  If you do decide to go.  Have a plan and be prepared for the crowds.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:18 PM, derorim said:

On 2/21/2023 at 4:43 PM, Rogueperson said:

I was there last October.  It was the first day of the Salem's Haunted Happenings which is their month long Halloween celebration.  It was a zoo, even though it was raining half the day.

Go to post 215 and you can see my pictures from Salem.  What i did was I rented a car from Avis which is about a 10 minute walk from the port.  Its in one of the hotels.  I just drove up there.  It was about a 45-60 minute drive.  When i got into town, it was insane, and it was the absolute first day of the festival.  I don't want to know how crowded it gets closer to Halloween.  I came in on a Saturday morning. 

Parking.  What would be easy parking, you have to switch gears and think event parking.  Any parking lot within walking distance is going to try and charge you thirty bucks or more.  Street parking is limited to residents only, and if you try to park, they WILL tow you.  Good luck at trying to find a metered spot, which prices are jacked up because of the event.  However, they do prepare.  There are plenty of satellite parking if you go online to find one of these lots.  I parked at the Okeefe Center at 225 Canal St.  They have shuttles going back and forth every 10 minutes or so.  Fair warning, we rode an actual school bus.  I haven't been on one of those since i was IN school.  Still gives me anxiety.

Also, many of the attractions don't really take too long.  I went to the Salem Witch Museum, and its less of a museum than it is a presentation of the Salem Witch Trials.  It took maybe an hour and a half at most.  If you're curious about some of the other attractions, you can easily fit 2, maybe even 3 in.  Once we finished, we actually had a lot of time left even after lunch. 

You need to get tickets beforehand, especially during the Haunted happenings.  I did not go into any of the Haunted Houses.  They weren't quite open yet when we were there and even if they were, it was raining, and my wife would never go into one of those things and leaving her outside in the rain is a sure way to annoy her.  To my dismay, there are a LOT of places other than the Salem Witch Museum like the Salem Witch House and the Witch Dungeon Museum.  All places I would have loved the check out if tickets were available.  Some only go on sale that day, but you can get it online.  That means you need internet connection onboard as there is a day at sea between Bayonne and Boston if Boston is your first port of call.

Overall, I LOVED Salem, but it was very crowded and you can't just show up without a plan.  I was fortunate that my plan held up, but it could have easily collapsed.  I was not prepared for Haunted Happenings as I thought it was just some local festival.  IT IS NOT.  It is a highly coveted and attended event.

That's guys, appreciate the advice. I guess we will think of something else. We were there in early October probably 13 years ago and don't remember it being quite as bad as you described but definitely don't want to deal with all that. We were on an excursion and it worked out fine. Thanks again for the info. 

• Thanks 1

A sure excursion might be doable, but you might be risking a very crowded town experience.  Salem officials requested “no more visitors “ last October!  It’s a great/interesting place to visit, but as beautiful as an October day can be, visit Salem another month!

• Like 1