Dun Laoghaire port and travel to Dublin

hazenumber1

Here is a map showing the location of the DART station and where you come ashore (it is a tender port).  A day return ticket is €5 (euro).  There are machines at the entrance to the station.

Please remember that this is the local commuter system, so it will be exceptionally busy in the mornings and late afternoon/evening.  Do allow extra time to return for your tender back to the ship.

DunLaoghaireTender.thumb.jpg.c7efa8bf205d60c48ac0ea0d87b03fd8.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

LEAP visitor card FTW!

The Leap visitor card is not an eticket and it is delivered to a postal address by snail mail. 

The price for 1 day is €8.  The leap card cannot be purchased at Dun Laoghaire station nor anywhere in the vicinity, so for 1 day cruise visit I doubt it is worth the risk/effort.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The Leap visitor card is not an eticket and it is delivered to a postal address by snail mail. 

The price for 1 day is €8.  The leap card cannot be purchased at Dun Laoghaire station nor anywhere in the vicinity, so for 1 day cruise visit I doubt it is worth the risk/effort.

We ordered them months in advance 

9 minutes ago, zelker said:

How frequently (approximately) does the DART run from Dun L into Dublin?  We're there on a Saturday.  And where would the closest stop be in Dublin to get to the Guinness Experience?  Thanks.

The DART runs every 15 minutes on a Saturday.

I would suggest getting off at Tara Street station, then it’s a 5 minute walk over the river to Abbey Street where you can catch the Luas (tram) to Heuston which is a 10-15 minute walk to the Guinness Storehouse.

Alternatively it’s a 30-40 minute walk from Tara Street station, past Trinity College and Dublin Castle.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

The DART runs every 15 minutes on a Saturday.

I would suggest getting off at Tara Street station, then it’s a 5 minute walk over the river to Abbey Street where you can catch the Luas (tram) to Heuston which is a 10-15 minute walk to the Guinness Storehouse.

Alternatively it’s a 30-40 minute walk from Tara Street station, past Trinity College and Dublin Castle.

What if we just grab a cab to Guinness instead of messing with another tram and walking?  Would you still suggest we off at the Tara Street station or is there a better location for that scenario?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, zelker said:

What if we just grab a cab to Guinness instead of messing with another tram and walking?  Would you still suggest we off at the Tara Street station or is there a better location for that scenario?  Thanks!

For a cab you might be better off going one more stop to Connolly, which is much busier.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, zelker said:

Yes you would be better travelling on to Connolly Station.  There will be taxis available outside the door.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 4:08 AM, MELSMOM47 said:

Are taxis easily available at the port?

If you are asking about taxis in Dun Laoghaire, then there is a taxi stand/rank on Marine Road (straight up the hill from the Dart Station), but it is a small taxi rank with max 7 taxis at any one time.

(I should say that the taxi rank was located there pre covid and I have not been there since reopening)

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

If you are asking about taxis in Dun Laoghaire, then there is a taxi stand/rank on Marine Road (straight up the hill from the Dart Station), but it is a small taxi rank with max 7 taxis at any one time.

(I should say that the taxi rank was located there pre covid and I have not been there since reopening)

Vmax we just booked a driver and van to take us around Dublin for the day  since my dad can’t walk long distances. Can hired vehicles not get closer to the port or is it just unreserved taxis that have to line up the hill from the Dart station? I’m hoping our driver can pick us up closer to the terminal where we don’t have to walk a distance to meet him. 

do you or anyone else  have any experience you can share about how long the avg tender process takes, how far away ships have to anchor in relation to this port . Just wondering .based on the cruise schedule looks like our ship is the only 1 in port that day

Thanks in advance

Edited by bobolz

10 hours ago, bobolz said:

Vmax we just booked a driver and van to take us around Dublin for the day  since my dad can’t walk long distances. Can hired vehicles not get closer to the port or is it just unreserved taxis that have to line up the hill from the Dart station? I’m hoping our driver can pick us up closer to the terminal where we don’t have to walk a distance to meet him. 

do you or anyone else  have any experience you can share about how long the avg tender process takes, how far away ships have to anchor in relation to this port . Just wondering .based on the cruise schedule looks like our ship is the only 1 in port that day

Thanks in advance

It is only the unreserved taxis that wait up the hill.  Your driver should be able to meet you quite adjacent to where the tender drops you ashore (see map in post #4).  That area between the terminal (it is a ferry terminal and not a cruise terminal) and RSG Yacht Club is free access so the driver should be able to meet you there.

I have no idea about tendering times in DL, sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Excellent, thank you

You're welcome!  You might also be interested in this other thread that someone on our roll call posted on the same topic.  It gets even better - the green HOHO last year was picking up passengers across the street from the port and so you would only need to take the train back.  I didn't get that by reading the company's website.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

You're welcome!  You might also be interested in this other thread that someone on our roll call posted on the same topic.  It gets even better - the green HOHO last year was picking up passengers across the street from the port and so you would only need to take the train back.  I didn't get that by reading the company's website.  

Thanks for the link.  I just emailed DoDublin to ask if they are offering the same thing this year by any chance or is the only option to take the DART to the Pearse station?  I'll post back here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zelker said:

Thanks for the link.  I just emailed DoDublin to ask if they are offering the same thing this year by any chance or is the only option to take the DART to the Pearse station?  I'll post back here.

Response from DoDublin below.  They are not offering port-side pickup this year.

We are currently offering our cruise combo which includes a 24hr Hop On Hop Off and a return rail ticket, which you can purchase online at DoDublin.

• Like 1

We will be at Dun Laoghaire on a Sunday this summer.  I went to the DoDublin website and for our date the cost would be 30 British pounds per person and includes a ho ho bus that we would never use.  We are big walkers. So forget ho ho for us.  The train ride which is half a hour into Dublin appears to cost 2.50 British pounds per person.  More our style and I like that price much better.  We like to put foot to pavement and feel what is around us.  Trains appear to start at 9:18 am and run every half hour.  We will get off at Pearse Station and start our journey to sightsee from there.  Seems like a five hours would allow us to get a lot done.  We are there from 7 to 7 but because it is a tender port, we have to keep in mind ship shore excursions get off first so this timing works very well indeed for us.  If you check out u tube, people do a good job of showing us what the situation looks like upon arrival.  

• Like 1