Upgrade Offers

PatriciaF

Received an upgrade from concierge to penthouse for $599, $499, $399 per person.  As we have only one sea day, we did not think it is worth the extra money for the bit bigger cabin or the aft large balcony with same size cabin.

I looked at website and all cabin classes are available except H is wait listed.  So..any chance we will get a free upgrade?  We are first time Regent cruisers.  Plus..nice to have the larger cabin, negative, it may not be in a desirable TO ME location. Mid ship mid deck is my preferred as I get sea sick (this will be my 32nd cruise) but like to reduce the ship movement to the extent possible.

Am I worried for nothing?

FYI Voyager Buenos Aires to Rio?

Edited by PatriciaF
Add details

1 hour ago, PatriciaF said:

Received an upgrade from concierge to penthouse for $599, $499, $399 per person.  As we have only one sea day, we did not think it is worth the extra money for the bit bigger cabin or the aft large balcony with same size cabin.

I looked at website and all cabin classes are available except H is wait listed.  So..any chance we will get a free upgrade?  We are first time Regent cruisers.  Plus..nice to have the larger cabin, negative, it may not be in a desirable TO ME location. Mid ship mid deck is my preferred as I get sea sick (this will be my 32nd cruise) but like to reduce the ship movement to the extent possible.

Am I worried for nothing?

FYI Voyager Buenos Aires to Rio?

Would suggest you also check out different amenities offer for each type of suite. They could sway you if you like the additional ones.

Definitely not worth it on Voyager unless you feel the need for a butler.  I did take upgrade offer once but that was from H to B on 25 day cruise.  The chances of a "free" upgrade are almost nil; totally dependent on your TA's ability to convince Regent.

Thank you all responses.  This is a fairly short cruise with only one sea day.  I did check the amenities and just did not see a $600 to $1000 value for the upgrade.  If this had been a long cruise with lots of sea days, yes-- with only 9 actual days at sea--plus 1 embarkation/1 disembarkation.  

We're cruising Regent for the first time later this year.  While our cruise won't be offering upgrades(it's sold out,) this is the first I've heard of upgrades on Regent(which I assume are rare), so I have a question.  The OP seems to imply that when Regent does make an upgrade offer, it's for a class of accommodation and not for a specific cabin number.  Do I have that right? 

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

We're cruising Regent for the first time later this year.  While our cruise won't be offering upgrades(it's sold out,) this is the first I've heard of upgrades on Regent(which I assume are rare), so I have a question.  The OP seems to imply that when Regent does make an upgrade offer, it's for a class of accommodation and not for a specific cabin number.  Do I have that right? 

Yes, it was listed by class..Penthouse A Penthouse B and Penthouse C. All Penthouse C cabins have the same square footage as our concierge class cabin but a big balcony.  But you needed to call and talk to Regent, so I suppose you could ask the cabin # and determine if the location was acceptable.  The butler, pillow menu, gift set, did not seem that important, the bigger cabin would have been nice but I think with our itinerary we won’t be in the cabin enough for the bigger space.

Edited by PatriciaF
  • Like 1

The only time we were offered an upgrade on Regent was on our very first cruise, Vancouver to Alaska. We had booked a Deluxe Veranda in a spot midship (same problem with seasickness) on Mariner. We paid for our own transfers and hotel the night before embarkation. After arriving in Vancouver, our TA called and told us that we had a free upgrade to Concierge, no cabin assigned until arrival at the ship. Since we had already paid for the transfers and hotel that Concierge provided for free, had a cabin in a spot that we wanted, and had already filled out our Regent luggage tags with our cabin number, we said "no thanks". We've never been offered an upgrade again on 5 addtional cruises we've taken, nor on an upcoming cruise in April, not even for an upcharge.

Personally, on Voyager, I love the Penthouse A and B layout and would pay for that upgrade. We stayed in a Penthouse B for back to back cruises on Voyager in late 2019- early 2020, from Singapore to Singapore, then Singapore to Sydney, with over a month onboard. I loved the cabin, and didn't want to leave the ship. Little did I know at the time that it would be a 2022 before my next cruise.

• Like 1

SWFLA -  Nice to hear about the Voyager and the Penthouse A and B comments.  We booked one of those for a cruise in 2024.  Layout and location looked good.   I would love to book a Penthouse on Explorer or Splendor, but I like to have a bath tub! 

20 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

The upgrade offer is for a class, but in our case last year we were also told which suite was available. We were offered an upgrade from concierge to Penthouse C at the bow of Splendor. We didn’t want the impaired view so we passed. She called back the next day with a Penthouse B offer of a specific suite and we took it. We liked that suite a lot. 

• Like 1