Royal Suite/Penthouse - Help with Shoreside Requests

SeeFoodEatIt

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Generally only available in PS and possibly RS.    If there is one available you may be able to snag one.

Hey Jim - can you send me Mar's email? We wanted to say hello. Thanks.

Ig7815 at MSN dot com Thanks and hope you are well!

• 1 month later...

We have booked a PH on the Solstice next year and this will be our first time in a suite with X.  This has been a really helpful thread with lots of good information.  Thank you!

I'm hoping someone might please elaborate a bit more on how the unlimited, speciality dining works for the upper suites?  Our cruise is for 17 nights.  Can we expect to dine in any restaurant, at any time, with relatively short notice (e.g. the day before)?  Or do we still need to make a reservation well in advance to guarantee our preferences?  I'm a bit concerned that waiting for the Shoreside Concierge to make contact a few weeks out may mean we miss out on our first preferences?  If I do make a reservation online, will the usual surcharge be automatically waived?

Related to all of that - is there an expanded room service menu for upper suites?  The website indicates that in-suite dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, yet the room service menu for Suites on the App seems a bit limited.  Not that we would go hungry!  Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

If you make specialty dining reservations on line you will need to pay for them. There are always reservations available for PH guests through the Shore Side Concierge.  Even in a RS on a New Year's cruise we did not have a problem. We heard from our SSC about a month ago for our September sailing. Just sent our requests and are waiting to hear back from her. 

There is an expanded room service menu for suites for breakfast and lunch. Rumor has it that they stopped offering dinner from the MDR in your cabin but this might not apply to upper suites.

When you hear from the SSC you will be able to make your beverage choices.  We don't drink spirits so always request champagne instead of alcohol & mixers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, madat said:

We have booked a PH on the Solstice next year and this will be our first time in a suite with X.  This has been a really helpful thread with lots of good information.  Thank you!

I'm hoping someone might please elaborate a bit more on how the unlimited, speciality dining works for the upper suites?  Our cruise is for 17 nights.  Can we expect to dine in any restaurant, at any time, with relatively short notice (e.g. the day before)?  Or do we still need to make a reservation well in advance to guarantee our preferences?  I'm a bit concerned that waiting for the Shoreside Concierge to make contact a few weeks out may mean we miss out on our first preferences?  If I do make a reservation online, will the usual surcharge be automatically waived?

Related to all of that - is there an expanded room service menu for upper suites?  The website indicates that in-suite dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, yet the room service menu for Suites on the App seems a bit limited.  Not that we would go hungry!  Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

You will enjoy! The PH is a real decadence of light and space…

You can just phone or turn up at the speciality restaurants and they will do their best to seat you although they may request you return later if they are busy…With 24 hours notice they will almost always fit you in. Murano is the restaurant in our experience that can genuinely be fully booked especially later in the cruise. We know the speciality restaurants really do appreciate you pre booking so we usually tend to ‘draft’ our bookings pre cruise. We have a general idea of where we want to dine and at what time dependent on the itinerary….For example….

Murano is quite a formal, longer meal. Ideal for a sea day when you are more rested not ideal if you are shattered after a busy excursion.

Tuscan has great wake views. Really nice to dine there as the ship leaves a port so nice on days with 6pm ish sailings.

Sushi, very informal, great for laid back evenings. Also as there are lots of small plates great if you are not that hungry, perhaps you have had an excursion including lunch.

LPC has set times and alternating menus so best to book. Fun rather than fine dining. If you haven’t done it before it is entertaining but once is enough for most people.

Obviously you are also going to want to try Luminae a few nights too. No booking necessary.

I suggest you book in at least a few nights early in the cruise through the shoreside concierge and see how you enjoy them. We have never had an issue getting the restaurant and time we want when we have booked through the shoreside concierge. No need to book on line. You can then ask your butler to book more a day or two into the cruise…

Room service for upper suites is officially as the app. However, in our experience if you chat to your butler alternatives can be arranged. If we have wanted a special in suite meal we have always given the butler 24 hours notice and they will usually manage to provide alternatives. We also avoid doing this on formal nights as butler’s have additional duties on those evenings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you chemmo!  Everything you have written has answered all of my questions perfectly.  We are booked on a sailing from Honolulu to Sydney which includes 11 sea days, so we will have plenty of time to enjoy the PH indulgences.  This will be our 3rd cruise on the Solstice, but our first in a suite.    

Thank you too, Mary Lou, for sharing your experiences.  I feel much more relaxed about waiting to make reservations with the SSC.

2 minutes ago, madat said:

Thank you chemmo!  Everything you have written has answered all of my questions perfectly.  We are booked on a sailing from Honolulu to Sydney which includes 11 sea days, so we will have plenty of time to enjoy the PH indulgences.  This will be our 3rd cruise on the Solstice, but our first in a suite.    

Thank you too, Mary Lou, for sharing your experiences.  I feel much more relaxed about waiting to make reservations with the SSC.

The TP cruise was our best cruise ever…We spent time in Hawaii first and time in Sydney after…We have friends we made in Michael’s Club we still keep in touch with. With so much down time you do have time to get to know people.

Remember the shoreside concierge can arrange things to amuse you on sea days too like behind the scenes tours of the galley, theatre or bridge.

If you do make friends on board your butler can arrange sail away parties or cocktail parties in your suite. When we have wanted to do this we have kept to our ‘give the butler 24 hours notice’ rule!

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chemmo said:

The TP cruise was our best cruise ever…We spent time in Hawaii first and time in Sydney after…We have friends we made in Michael’s Club we still keep in touch with. With so much down time you do have time to get to know people.

Remember the shoreside concierge can arrange things to amuse you on sea days too like behind the scenes tours of the galley, theatre or bridge.

If you do make friends on board your butler can arrange sail away parties or cocktail parties in your suite. When we have wanted to do this we have kept to our ‘give the butler 24 hours notice’ rule!

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

TYSM chemmo.  So nice to hear the TP was your best ever!  We're really looking forward to all of the sea days.      

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If you make specialty dining reservations on line you will need to pay for them. There are always reservations available for PH guests through the Shore Side Concierge.  Even in a RS on a New Year's cruise we did not have a problem. We heard from our SSC about a month ago for our September sailing. Just sent our requests and are waiting to hear back from her. 

There is an expanded room service menu for suites for breakfast and lunch. Rumor has it that they stopped offering dinner from the MDR in your cabin but this might not apply to upper suites.

When you hear from the SSC you will be able to make your beverage choices.  We don't drink spirits so always request champagne instead of alcohol & mixers. 

Does anyone know where I can find an example of the expanded room service menu?  I've googled quite a bit.  I'm interested in late room service lunch after an excursion when Luminae is closed and the Retreat outdoor area stops serving lunch at 2:30, I think.  (Millennium)

38 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone know where I can find an example of the expanded room service menu?  I've googled quite a bit.  I'm interested in late room service lunch after an excursion when Luminae is closed and the Retreat outdoor area stops serving lunch at 2:30, I think.  (Millennium)

It's on the app under dining. There are several room service menu's. Just choose the ones for the Retreat.

12 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

It's on the app under dining. There are several room service menu's. Just choose the ones for the Retreat.

Thanks.  I’ll check.  Mine is not for a while but I know the trick to check on a similar sailing.

Edit:  Found it.  Wish they had more sandwiches.  Seems like a dinner menu.

Edited by zitsky

I have found that the information that Chemmo has regarding suites is indispensable and on point.  You are the Onshore Concierge (OSC) Angel!😁

You will find every dining venue's menu in the PH for your perusal. 

Following Chemmo's advice, I send a detailed email to the OSC with our preferred likes/dislikes, asks and restaurant preferences.  We have found that we can always change reservations later on and by asking for them in advance we are assured of our dining times.  I also keep a copy of that email for our butler so that he/she doesn't have to guess at what we prefer.  I have asked the butler, in the past, if they find the request letter offensive in any way and I am told that they wish more guests did it.  The butler said that they know exactly what we are asking for and it makes their job infinitely better and easier.

Have a great time on your voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in a RS on Equinox 3/2022.  We had made two specialty restaurant reservations before we cruised.  On board we asked 4 days ahead of time for additional reservations and we’re told those times are not available.  All they had was like 8:30 pm.  We also hosted a cabin crawl for about 12 people.  When I asked if some snacks could be provided I was told it’s $20 a person!  

We are sailing in September in RS and shoreside contacted us a few weeks ago with a bunch of questions.  I answered and no reply…been almost two weeks.  I did send a friendly Did you receive my email a week ago and nothing.  If I don’t hear anything by Monday I will contact them again.  

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We were in a RS on Equinox 3/2022.  We had made two specialty restaurant reservations before we cruised.  On board we asked 4 days ahead of time for additional reservations and we’re told those times are not available.  All they had was like 8:30 pm.  We also hosted a cabin crawl for about 12 people.  When I asked if some snacks could be provided I was told it’s $20 a person!  

We are sailing in September in RS and shoreside contacted us a few weeks ago with a bunch of questions.  I answered and no reply…been almost two weeks.  I did send a friendly Did you receive my email a week ago and nothing.  If I don’t hear anything by Monday I will contact them again.  

Well, that’s disappointing. I just placed a bid for a RS on the Equinox. 

57 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We never had a issue requesting snacks for 8 in penthouse or Royal suite , in penthouse they brought enough food for 20 , filled the dining table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bjahil47 said:

We are on Equinox September 2. The SS concierge just called, she was out of the office last week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Well, that’s disappointing. I just placed a bid for a RS on the Equinox. 

To be honest, we had the worst butler.  I finally had a chat with him and no improvement and I finally talked to Retreat Concierge and he improved a bit.  All we asked for was iced tea in afternoon and a bucket of ice twice a day!  On the following cruise we were in a SS and butler was a bit better.  We just have never gotten a butler that wants to go above and beyond.  

what sailing will you be on?  Just having the separate bedroom and 1/2 bath is worth it!  Good luck!

14 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We are on Equinox September 2. The SS concierge just called, she was out of the office last week.

We are on a B2B starting 9/24.  The SS Conciege just called me, too!  She said she was waiting for confirmation of our reservations as they do not normally schedule 7 pm in the Specialty restaurants.  All good!  She did tell me they only have medium in pajamas and not ordering more.  

The worst butler we had was in a royal suite , I gave some pajamas away , next might go to good will , there nice but we have done 2 royal suites and one penthouse since Covid and have another royal suite for our music charter in March .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

We sailed on the Equinox last Oct 2022, and none of the three small things we requested to the SSC were done (1) extra ice bucket filled with ice, for the special bottle of champagne we brought OB, 2) a body pillow for my DH, 3) and to have the chocolate dipped strawberries, that we ordered and paid for ahead of time, in the room for sail way). Alway had great SSC experiences in the past except for that time on that ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peanut head said:

I have found that the information that Chemmo has regarding suites is indispensable and on point.  You are the Onshore Concierge (OSC) Angel!😁

You will find every dining venue's menu in the PH for your perusal. 

Following Chemmo's advice, I send a detailed email to the OSC with our preferred likes/dislikes, asks and restaurant preferences.  We have found that we can always change reservations later on and by asking for them in advance we are assured of our dining times.  I also keep a copy of that email for our butler so that he/she doesn't have to guess at what we prefer.  I have asked the butler, in the past, if they find the request letter offensive in any way and I am told that they wish more guests did it.  The butler said that they know exactly what we are asking for and it makes their job infinitely better and easier.

Have a great time on your voyage!

Thank you peanuthead!

Just offering payback for all the advice we have received over the years…

2 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

What ship were you on? On S class it is unusual to struggle for bookings other than for Murano…Obviously there are significantly more suites on E class entitled to included speciality dining than on S class, I wonder if that makes a difference?

Surprised about the costing for a cabin crawl…In our experience cold snacks are usually provided free of charge but there is a cost if you request hot. Certainly we have hosted a few guests and a cost has never entered the discussion. Again I wonder if this is a ship thing or perhaps Suite Managers are being encouraged to limit free extras…

21 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We are on a B2B starting 9/24.  The SS Conciege just called me, too!  She said she was waiting for confirmation of our reservations as they do not normally schedule 7 pm in the Specialty restaurants.  All good!  She did tell me they only have medium in pajamas and not ordering more.  

The small sized pj’s I got would have been ideal for a baby orangutan, the sleeves were soooo long! I wouldn’t loose sleep over getting them.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

what sailing will you be on?  Just having the separate bedroom and 1/2 bath is worth it!  Good luck!

October 8! I’m traveling with my sister on her first and most likely last cruise. We are celebrating our birthdays, which are one day apart - her 60th, so I thought maybe I’d place a lowball bid. I may cancel my bid as we are currently in a corner aft SS. Only size medium pajamas? Im too busty for that nonsense. 

• Like 1