Arvia's naming ceremony

Port out

Really surprised that the Barbados naming ceremony for the Arvia is being held off a beach close to Speightstown which is a nothing town. Would have been far more enticing if it was to be held further south off Holetown which is the most affluent area of Barbados and not so far from the port and indeed Bridgetown the capital.

3 minutes ago, Port out said:

Really surprised that the Barbados naming ceremony for the Arvia is being held off a beach close to Speightstown which is a nothing town. Would have been far more enticing if it was to be held further south off Holetown which is the most affluent area of Barbados and not so far from the port and indeed Bridgetown the capital.

I wonder if the good folk of Speightstown appreciate you calling it a nothing town.

• Like 1

Heard one of the crew talking about this last night

They said because the ship will be spending a large amount of its time in the Caribbean that it's going to be named by a "very famous celebrity from the Caribbean"

Not  sure he knows who that is yet?

Has it been announced?

Rihanna maybe?

Gary Barlow will no doubt be singing a few songs

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Who is the ship's "godmother" ?

18 minutes ago, Port out said:

37 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Heard one of the crew talking about this last night

They said because the ship will be spending a large amount of its time in the Caribbean that it's going to be named by a "very famous celebrity from the Caribbean"

Not  sure he knows who that is yet?

Has it been announced?

Rihanna maybe?

Gary Barlow will no doubt be singing a few songs

Only Murs will be singing a few. That's worth a trip to Barbados. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been there. A couple of nice restaurants and wonderful people.

Yes, the pizza is great. Did you try buying fruit from the street traders there, when they saw you weren't Bajan the price was 4 times the norm, that said I wouldn't knock the Bajans as they were always super unless they wore a uniform. 

I believe the ship isn't actually docking but will be anchored off shore, with guests on board watching from the ship and, presumably, on the big screen.  The itinerary shows it as a sea day.

The actual number of people on shore will be quite limited I imagine.

Edited by Shelley61

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Two points.

1. P&O couldn't afford her.

2. Rhianna would not want to be associated with P&O.  It would totally destroy her image. 

If NCL can afford Katy Perry for their recent christening on NCL Prima then I'm sure that P&O / Carnival could afford Rihanna. I'm not sure whether it would destroy her image or whether she would actually be happy to be associated with a billion dollar ship that will bring a lot of income and tourism to the Caribbean and to Barbados.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dallas16 said:

If NCL can afford Katy Perry for their recent christening on NCL Prima then I'm sure that P&O / Carnival could afford Rihanna. I'm not sure whether it would destroy her image or whether she would actually be happy to be associated with a billion dollar ship that will bring a lot of income and tourism to the Caribbean and to Barbados.

If the money's right!!

You never know

What other famous women come from the Caribbean?

1 hour ago, dallas16 said:

I think we could debate at length the merits of KP (past her prime) or Rhianna (riding high after the Superbowl) 

From a PR point of view, I still can't see any benefit for Rhianna to be assiciated with a very white, very middle class, very middle aged, very British brand.

My money would be on a safe option such as Jill Scott.

Let's just hope it's not Katie Price !

I can't think of any others who it might be. It probably won't be Katie Price. Possibly Jill Scott but I assume it's going to be someone from the Caribbean as others have stated from what they've heard on the ship. I can't think of anyone else who it may be. 

13 minutes ago, dallas16 said:

I can't think of any others who it might be. It probably won't be Katie Price. Possibly Jill Scott but I assume it's going to be someone from the Caribbean as others have stated from what they've heard on the ship. I can't think of anyone else who it may be. 

In this day and age, could it be a Godperson, rather than Godmother? 

Don Warrington would tick a lot of boxes.

• Like 2