Train from Civitavecchia to the airport

pbhgirlforever

We would appreciate any information on getting 8 of us from the cruise port to the Rome airport. We are staying in a hotel at the airport and leaving the next morning. We heard the train is a hassle (a change over and a bus).

We do not leave until the next day so we are not in a hurry. We just checked the NCL website for transfer and it is $600. 

Thanks for your help.

" a change over and a bus" Not sure what that means.

Can everyone in your party lug their bags easily? If not, forget it.

Getting from the port to the Civi train station is either a taxi or a shuttle bus, transfer to city bus to station. Train to Rome, transfer (at one or two possible stations) to an airport bound train.

You can see most of this with a little research on trenitalia.com.

It can be a bit of a hassle but if you're mentally prepared for it, the train is a very economical way to make the transfer.

You'll need a bus from the ship.  It might be from the ship directly to the train station (best case scenario) or it may be a free shuttle to the port exit, followed by a public bus to the station (one mile away).

Once on the train you'll travel from Civitavecchia to Roma Trastevere, where you'll change to a train to the airport.  These are regional trains, which mean there are no assigned seats so if you're traveling during rush hour, it could be very crowded.  If possible I would wait and be one of the last groups off of the ship, so you'll be getting on the train after most folks have already left for work or left the ship.

Info on the port buses:  Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Info on trains:  EN - Trenitalia

Your departure station is Civitavecchia, your arrival station is Fiumicino Aeroporto.

We took the train from the port to the airport on our cruise 4 years ago. We also didn’t leave until the next morning just like you are planning. If your cruise ends on a weekday (like ours did), I highly recommend you get off ship as late as possible. The train was so packed with commuters that trying to find a seat and keep our luggage close by was insane. It was also in June so it was so hot and miserable. I said I would never do that again and just spend the money for a transfer.

7 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

We took the train from the port to the airport on our cruise 4 years ago. We also didn’t leave until the next morning just like you are planning. If your cruise ends on a weekday (like ours did), I highly recommend you get off ship as late as possible. The train was so packed with commuters that trying to find a seat and keep our luggage close by was insane. It was also in June so it was so hot and miserable. I said I would never do that again and just spend the money for a transfer.

^^^^ This.  The OP is trying to coordinate 8 people getting to the airport.  If the train is to be used, the OP should be prepared for needing to be separated on the train and having each person or small group understand what they must do to get on the train.  I don't know that all 8 would necessarily be able to get on the same car on the train.  You just won't know until it happens.  

My 75 year old father and I had to stand in the aisle for 1/2 of the way into Rome because there were not seats available. We were on a stop on our cruise, so we had no luggage.  I can't imagine how it would have worked out with luggage. 

OP, I would suggest you look into private transfer services.  But you will pay a price for that convenience and ease of travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

If the train is to be used, the OP should be prepared for needing to be separated on the train and having each person or small group understand what they must do to get on the train.  I don't know that all 8 would necessarily be able to get on the same car on the train.  You just won't know until it happens.  

This can be avoided if the OP books the Freccibianca train from Civitavecchia to Rome. There is only one such option in the morning but the timing works fairly well -- current timing is a departure at 9:16 am. The Frecci (high speed) trains have reserved seating. They also have the distinct PLUS of arriving at Termini on the main lines and not the far-off auxiliary lines where the regional trains from Civitavecchia normally arrive.

That makes it easier to then hop on the "Leonardo Express" (LEX) train direct to the FCO airport. 

There are still a lot of disadvantages:  

-- OP's party will need to take port shuttle to entrance, bus to train station, change of trains at Termini station, and then somehow get to their hotel at the airport. All of this time managing their own bags on and off buses and trains.

-- If taking the Frecci train plus the LEX, the cost per person is higher. The Frecci costs about 10 euros per person plus the LEX is 14 euros.  So 24 euros per person. 

There are private shuttle services that will take 6-8 passengers directly from the port to the airport (I'm sure hotel drop-off would be possible) for about 160 euros total. To me that seems well worth it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This can be avoided if the OP books the Freccibianca train from Civitavecchia to Rome....

This is a great point, cruisemom42.  I hadn't remembered that option.  Other than the logistics of getting TO the Civitavecchia train station, I agree that this is a simpler option and probably worth the money if the OP decides to go via train.

I will confess that I shamelessly booked the Frecciabianca train from Rome TO Civitavecchia for my May cruise and I actually purchased 2 side-by-side seats in 1st Class just so I could have my luggage right beside me without needing to potentially bother another passenger.  For 22 euros total, this was money well spent.  The YouTube videos I reviewed didn't show a lot of baggage storage areas on the train and I wasn't sure if my bag would be small enough to fit in the overhead rack either.  Sometimes convenience and peace of mind is worth a few dollars.  Especially on a trip that costs thousands of $ overall.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, gatorchinsky said:

We had the same experience as you once and vowed never to repeat it. There was nowhere for suitcases and we had to sit with them on our knees. I think we might have got a commuter train instead of the fast train by mistake. We will be back in September and will book either a shared shuttle or private transfer. 

• Like 1

There is sometimes space at the end of a car where you can leave luggage.  When we are planning on using European trains we always carry a cable luggage lock (similar to a small bicycle lock) which we use to secure all of our luggage to the train.  Otherwise, a smart thief might snatch the bags as a train stops at any station.

Hank