British Isle and Iceland -May 23 on Ovation?

goodvino808

Good Evening.  My wife and I are considering this 11 night British Isle cruise on Ovation.  Has anyone ever done this route before and care to weigh in on the pro and cons to this Cruise.  This would be our third time on Ovation so we are familiar with the ship but more interested in port and possible weather in late May.

thank you!

image.thumb.png.a3a3ad995c5edf8edf980a710617c28b.png

I do not know about Iceland but the UK weather is renowned for its unpredictability so I would definitely base whether you want to visit on the ports rather than the weather.

temp averages 50 to 60 degrees getting colder as you move north ( but sometimes the other way round and sometimes much hotter or colder😜) and on average 11 days of rain.

you might miss midge season in Scotland as that is usually late May to September.

Joking aside, the UK is a beautiful country but you will have to accept that layers and waterproofs may well be needed - as we say, there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes 😜

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not being the the UK, I've always been attracted by itineraries that include it, but haven't taken one yet.  I am curious about Iceland.  I'm not entirely sure I have a desire to go there.  Should I?  Would some of you who have been there tell me why I should want to go?

Techno has summed it up perfectly. Just to add that the west coast of Ireland can be particularly wet and windy, and that May/June is a great time to visit due to the long hours of daylight. Even if it is raining 😉.

I find that the countryside in UK and Ireland is at its most beautiful in those months. 

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SLSD said:

Not being the the UK, I've always been attracted by itineraries that include it, but haven't taken one yet.  I am curious about Iceland.  I'm not entirely sure I have a desire to go there.  Should I?  Would some of you who have been there tell me why I should want to go?

Iceland has one of the highest alcoholism problems in the World.

There are other Nordic countries that do out drink Iceland.

Reykjavik is worth a visit 

Edited by Mr Luxury

14 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I do not know about Iceland but the UK weather is renowned for its unpredictability so I would definitely base whether you want to visit on the ports rather than the weather.

temp averages 50 to 60 degrees getting colder as you move north ( but sometimes the other way round and sometimes much hotter or colder😜) and on average 11 days of rain.

you might miss midge season in Scotland as that is usually late May to September.

Joking aside, the UK is a beautiful country but you will have to accept that layers and waterproofs may well be needed - as we say, there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes 😜

I appreciate the advice and understand the weather humor 🙂

based on the cabin map on the ship I am hoping the price may drop a bit before proceeding with the cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Techno has summed it up perfectly. Just to add that the west coast of Ireland can be particularly wet and windy, and that May/June is a great time to visit due to the long hours of daylight. Even if it is raining 😉.

I find that the countryside in UK and Ireland is at its most beautiful in those months. 

Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, SLSD said:

https://adventures.is/blog/10-reasons-why-you-should-visit-iceland/#:~:text=In Iceland you can explore,isolated areas of the country.

I am on a similar-ish cruise on another line that has what I think would be a better itinerary. A couple more ports in Iceland in particular.

The UK, Ireland, and Iceland can all be expected to have significant rain in May. On the other hand, everything will be green (at least in the UK and Ireland) and pleasant when it's not raining. And when it is raining there are pubs.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, SLSD said:

Iceland is a gorgeous place, especially for travelers interested in exploring nature, rather than port shopping or taking selfies in front of famous landmarks they have on a bucket list.  To each his own, of course, but my guess based on your prior postings  is that you would enjoy it.

The scenery is breathtaking, and Reykjavik is also worth exploring for several days pre-cruise  (*and* has great food!).

Browse through the port/excursion pictures I posted on this CC blog I wrote back in 2021 (the pictures are mostly courtesy of DH), after a a Crystal Endeavor cruise (unfortunately, Crystal is now gone, but the ports are definitely still there)  Several surviving cruise lines, including a couple luxury lines,  do circumnavigations of Iceland (some as expeditions, others as regular cruises), or at least have several port stops. 

Edited by Catlover54
Typo

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Iceland is a gorgeous place, especially for travelers interested in exploring nature, rather than port shopping or taking selfies in front of famous landmarks they have on a bucket list.  To each his own, of course, but my guess based on your prior postings  is that you would enjoy it.

I think we would enjoy it.  We are not shoppers or photo bucket list people!  

On 2/28/2023 at 6:09 PM, goodvino808 said:

Good Evening.  My wife and I are considering this 11 night British Isle cruise on Ovation.  Has anyone ever done this route before and care to weigh in on the pro and cons to this Cruise.  This would be our third time on Ovation so we are familiar with the ship but more interested in port and possible weather in late May.

thank you!

image.thumb.png.a3a3ad995c5edf8edf980a710617c28b.png

Been to Reykjavik, Heimaey(puffins), Stornoway, Kirkwall, Killybegs, St Mary's and Portland, a great trip.

• Like 1

I have done a variation of this itinerary and have been to just about all the ports except the northernmost port in Scotland,  Did it in May.  Weather was crazy.  In southern Scotland we had blue skies and an around the pool tastings of scottish food and whiskey.  People couldn’t believe how great the weather was.

Iceland is incredible and not to be missed.  I have been there in May and in July and again weather can change in ten minutes.  

Go, you will enjoy it.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, cruisr said:

I have done a variation of this itinerary and have been to just about all the ports except the northernmost port in Scotland,  Did it in May.  Weather was crazy.  In southern Scotland we had blue skies and an around the pool tastings of scottish food and whiskey.  People couldn’t believe how great the weather was.

Iceland is incredible and not to be missed.  I have been there in May and in July and again weather can change in ten minutes.  

Go, you will enjoy it.

Thank you for the encouragement 

• Like 1

I've done a land vacation in Iceland (right before the pandemic) and it was the most beautiful and otherworldly scenery I've experienced. I've lived in the US West for 30+ years and thought I didn't need to travel to see mountains.

If you like history and culture, it is also a great place. The sagas and history are fascinating, and Reykjavik and the nearby area have a number of interesting museums. It is a wonderful place to read up on beforehand and then imagine the sagas while there.

I was on another land vacation this last summer in Ireland, and again, fascinating history and wonderful literature to read before or during. And lovely scenery (I say this as a resident of the Pacific NW, but you won't melt with a little mist). I notice you are stopping in Bantry. Staying at Bantry House was one of the highlights of our trip. I'd recommend going for a day visit if you can. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So?  Did you decide to go?  My wife and I will be doing the 25 day version of the cruise (May 5-May 30) with 2 of our friends.  We think it will be an interesting adventure.  We've previously enjoyed the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Sojourn and looking forward to the Ovation. 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:29 AM, Catlover54 said:

The scenery is breathtaking, and Reykjavik is also worth exploring for several days pre-cruise  (*and* has great food!).

Browse through the port/excursion pictures I posted on this CC blog I wrote back in 2021 (the pictures are mostly courtesy of DH), after a a Crystal Endeavor cruise (unfortunately, Crystal is now gone, but the ports are definitely still there)  Several surviving cruise lines, including a couple luxury lines,  do circumnavigations of Iceland (some as expeditions, others as regular cruises), or at least have several port stops. 

I second what Catlover said.  It isn’t called the land of fire and ice for nothing.  Due to the history of Icelandic volcanic activity you will see terrain unlike anywhere else.  Stark and beautiful.  My wife and I did a cruise around Iceland and loved it.  I would think of it as an expedition type cruise where you want to experience a very different and beautiful environment with geysers and a landscape shaped by volcanos and earthquake.  It is not geared for those who want a traditional cruise focusing on cities or warm weather activities (although there is swimming in volcanic heated lagoons).  If you go in the winter you may see the Northern lights.

On 4/6/2023 at 12:30 AM, TurtleDriver said:

So?  Did you decide to go?  My wife and I will be doing the 25 day version of the cruise (May 5-May 30) with 2 of our friends.  We think it will be an interesting adventure.  We've previously enjoyed the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Sojourn and looking forward to the Ovation. 

no we are passing unable to secure enough time away from work/job 😞