Flight through NCL cancelled

KennDemon

For the first time we booked our flights trough NCL. We were surprised by how fast we got our flight information, but then one of the flights was cancelled by the airline. We have reached out to NCL, but are nervous. Does anyone know how this would go?

It's on our return trip. We still have a flight to our home country, but not our city. I am trying to stay positive, thinking of ways to get home from the city they are currently leaving us at.

Does anyone know if we have any hope of them re-scheduling our final leg? Our cruise starts in late April, ending in early May.

We are unable to see any options, as we do not own the flights.

We are hoping that NCL will take care of things. Technically, NCL owns the booking, so they have to be the ones the make changes.

My father is worried about how we will get home, but at least we are in the right country.

We have contacted our travel agent (even though they have been useless so far) about this, but who knows.

I am trying to be positive that at the very least we will be able call an Uber or something (very expensive) to get home.

In the US our flights booked through NCL, we are given the flight information and then contact the airline assigned to reserve seats and confirm flights.  At that point the airline is our contact not NCL. I would suggest contacting the airline. direct. 

• Like 1

Hi KennDemon. 

You purchased your flights to get you from the port to Ottawa (presumably) so that is what you are owed even though the airline has cancelled a segment of your flight (assume you are currently landing in Montreal since you're considering an Uber). NCL should make this right by finding you a connecting flight that works with your original segment or find you a completely new alternative but unfortunately you will have to be the one driving the follow up. 

Since you booked through a TA, the onus is really on them to do this work on your behalf. You can try to contact NCL's air department directly but as the TA owns your booking, it might be tough for you to deal with them directly to find a solution. 

In your shoes, I would start with a call to NCL Air at this point since you've indicated that your TA to date has not done anything to find a resolution. If you get the standard "we can only deal with your TA," then it will be time to dog them. 

The one piece of information you haven't yet shared is when your cruise is departing. Do you have the luxury of a month or two to get a resolution or are you leaving in a week? In any case, do not panic, this should all work out, but do stay on top of it. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

What airline is it? What do you mean by

37 minutes ago, KennDemon said:

the airline won’t let us view our flight information anymore

I'm confused by this. View it where? Online? I believe NCL is responsible for getting you flights within a reasonable distance of your home city. @JillK talks about Montreal, but I don't know where the airport is that you're talking about. All we know is that your profile says you are from Ottawa. In case an airline cancels a flight, it's usually the airline that needs to find you a new one. Regardless of how NCL booked you, it's the airline's responsibility now.

48 minutes ago, JillK said:

The one piece of information you haven't yet shared is when your cruise is departing. 

He said the end of April in his last paragraph, so luckily there's time to get things figured out.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your advice.

The flight that was cancelled was a hop from Montreal to Ottawa, a route that runs multiple times a day, so at least we’re not worried about alternate flights just not existing. We’ve got about a month and a half to figure this out, and I’m fairly confident that we won’t get stranded.

The travel agent is looking into it now.

When I said the airline won’t let us view the flight information, I meant that none of the info for the trip shows up in their (Air Canada) app. I suspect it’s because the booking is incomplete, but I don’t have the power to complete it myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KennDemon said:

Thank you everyone for your advice.

The flight that was cancelled was a hop from Montreal to Ottawa, a route that runs multiple times a day, so at least we’re not worried about alternate flights just not existing. We’ve got about a month and a half to figure this out, and I’m fairly confident that we won’t get stranded.

The travel agent is looking into it now.

When I said the airline won’t let us view the flight information, I meant that none of the info for the trip shows up in their (Air Canada) app. I suspect it’s because the booking is incomplete, but I don’t have the power to complete it myself.

At this point, there should be a record locator or similar code that you can use to search the flight information. We're flying Air Canada next month to Japan and have had ours for a long time (although this was booked privately, not through a cruise line, I hasten to add). Perhaps try the full Air Canada site and not the app?

Okay, I think we have a plan.

I was finally able to find information about this sort of situation on NCL's website. According to their site, since there is more than 72 hours before the beginning of our trip, we are supposed to contact them and not the airline. The travel agent is currently working on this. I'll probably wait a week or so to see if he can get it sorted out before taking matters into my own hands.

For the worst case scenario of being left in Montreal, we will arrange to have a family member come get us. It's only about 3 hours round trip and we've done it before.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It definitely helped me stay sane through this.

15 minutes ago, KennDemon said:

Okay, I think we have a plan.

I was finally able to find information about this sort of situation on NCL's website. According to their site, since there is more than 72 hours before the beginning of our trip, we are supposed to contact them and not the airline. The travel agent is currently working on this. I'll probably wait a week or so to see if he can get it sorted out before taking matters into my own hands.

For the worst case scenario of being left in Montreal, we will arrange to have a family member come get us. It's only about 3 hours round trip and we've done it before.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It definitely helped me stay sane through this.

Good call, that's what I was about to reply with as well.  Typically when a 3rd party books your flights, it's considered their responsibility until the flight moves to airport control, and then it becomes the airline's.  I'd start with NCL at this point to resolve it.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone who's still interested, and anyone who might have this experience in the future:

I called NCL this morning (after hearing nothing on the matter for about a month). They confirmed that they had received the report of the cancelled flight. They said that their team who sorts out rescheduled flights has until 10 days before the departure to sort it out. For me, that's good to know because it gives a timeline. I can now plan to call them back at the 10 day mark (maybe 9, to give them a grace period) if we still don't have a new flight.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KennDemon said:

For anyone who's still interested, and anyone who might have this experience in the future:

I called NCL this morning (after hearing nothing on the matter for about a month). They confirmed that they had received the report of the cancelled flight. They said that their team who sorts out rescheduled flights has until 10 days before the departure to sort it out. For me, that's good to know because it gives a timeline. I can now plan to call them back at the 10 day mark (maybe 9, to give them a grace period) if we still don't have a new flight.

We also used a TA,  but NCL flight department talked to us several times without us having to go through our TA.  It was so helpful to talk to them directly.  As soon as we had our confirmation number (which fo us was 68 days before cruise) we were able to go to the airline’s website and choose seats.  Lots of people report that they are also able to pay extra and upgrade also.  Good luck with your flight home!

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally resolved!

I did have to call NCL again on Tuesday (9 days before the start of our trip) and they flagged the case as urgent. I got the new flight this morning. Although, NCL never emailed me the info like they said they would. I only found out about the new flight because I've been checking the airline's app every day. Communication through all of this has been non-existent.

• Like 2

HEADS UP FOR FLYING TO ANCHORAGE ALASKA:  Alaska Airlines is reporting disruptions  flying into Anchorage and within points in Alaska because of a volcanic eruption.

Edited by www3traveler
changed wording

On 3/2/2023 at 4:42 AM, KennDemon said:

Ah, okay. I thought it had to be through NCL because the airline won’t let us view our flight information anymore. I’ll try reaching out to them. Thank you.

You SHOULD be able to deal with all this directly with the airline.  Do not wait for NCL to take care of it!  However, if you used a Travel Agent, the airline may require your TA to rebook your flight.  But try the airline directly first.  For sure find out why you can't view your flight information any more ... that sounds ominous.