Bar service in Concierge Lounge?

whoshwhosh

Sailing for the first time on Holland in a Neptune Suite on the New Statendam in April. Is there any bar service in the Concierge Lounge in the evening? I am traveling solo and it would seem like a nice place to meet people.

There is a self service bar area in the Neptune Lounge.  Not certain if it is open all hours of the Lounge though.  Its on an honor system - you write in a book what you took and it is billed to your cabin.

One nice thing is if you have the drink package.  You can just drop in the Lounge, take a few drinks back to your cabin (even store some in your mini-fridge) and it just goes to your package deal.

• Like 1

There has been a no-host bar service set up in the afternoon - self serve and self report.

Neptunes do offer a welcoming cocktail party, and other events (in the past) where one can meet their fellow Neptune passengers. But mainly it is a small casual drop in space for small bites and continental breakfast offerings where one can also meet other fellow passengers.

Have not attended their "cocktail time" so I don't know how popular, or not, that offering became. Mostly grumbling that is was not an included benefit, so I wonder it it ever got utilized as s social gathering event. 

I have only been in that area twice on two different ships, which were full or near capacity. There is indeed a self-serve bar in the lounge,  but usually there were zero people hanging out (which was 2x/day at least) and only 1-2 people getting drinks and snacks (if any).  Concierge staff can also help with your drinks.

Unless you get lucky, if you want to reliably meet people as a solo, you would likely be better off either joining tables at dinner, going to a solo gathering,  or going to bars.

Plus, the lounge has no windows, so it is a bit claustrophobic.

The lounge also typically closes around 8 or 8:30.

• Like 1

Definitely attend the Welcome Reception in the Neptune Lounge on embarkation day!  It’s a great way to meet fellow Neptune/Pinnacle Suite passengers, as is dropping into the lounge throughout the day.

Also watch your mail or ask one of the Concierges about any additional cocktail parties they may have.  Last year they had daily happy hours around 5pm, I believe, with included wine and champagne.

Really hope you enjoy your experience and welcome to Holland America!

• Like 1

When we get a Neptune suite we often rarely leave the cabin because we love the larger, private space. So it is nice having the Neptune Lounge available, when the room stewards need to make up the cabin.

Best part for me, is it keeps me away from the Lido for breakfast and lunch so I eat a lot less  -smaller bites and small tempting goodies are now close at hand, instead of that whole piece of peanut butter pie that knows to call me out by name when I pass it in the Lido. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, whoshwhosh said:

Sailing for the first time on Holland in a Neptune Suite on the New Statendam in April. Is there any bar service in the Concierge Lounge in the evening? I am traveling solo and it would seem like a nice place to meet people.

We love the Neptune Lounge when we book Neptune Suites.  The first get together cocktail party can be fun and you will meet people there.  However, I wouldn't say it's a good place to meet people otherwise.  It can be empty at times and usually just people getting treats/coffee/wine/etc or needing things to be fixed or questions for the staff.  There are solo meet ups and those are posted in the Daily program.  I've even seen a solo lunch meet up. 

We were in a Neptune Suite on the Oosterdam last July going from Venice to Rome.  The Neptune Lounge was "experimenting", as they said, with having a Happy Hour in there every day where drinks were complimentary for 2 hours.  I was hoping that this "experiment" was successful and that they would continue this tradition henceforth.  But reading everyone's comments here, well, I guess not.  Although they may still do it for European or longer cruises!  We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2 weeks so I guess I'll see for myself.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, Catlover54 said:

There is indeed a self-serve bar in the lounge,  

On 3/2/2023 at 11:51 AM, DaveOKC said:

There is a self service bar area in the Neptune Lounge.  

One nice thing is if you have the drink package.  You can just drop in the Lounge, take a few drinks back to your cabin (even store some in your mini-fridge) and it just goes to your package deal.

If you drink a certain brand of wine or beer (allowed within the package), could it be arrange that that type be available for you in the lounge?

Are there mixed drinks, or just beer and wine?   

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

If you drink a certain brand of wine or beer (allowed within the package), could it be arrange that that type be available for you in the lounge?

Maybe...if you ask nicely, and respond generously. The Neptune Lounge personnel can be very good at customer service. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

There are limited liquor brands.  Do not know if they will get you something else.

• Thanks 1