WiFi Info

Bo1331

We’re going Aqua Class on Constellation soon and it comes with free WiFi.  What is difference between the free and basic or premium WiFi.  Is this for just one device.  Is upgrading worth it.

You'll get basic wi-fi for two devices i.e. each person in a double-occupied cabin can have their own account and access it using one device at a time.  I've found it's perfectly adequate for e-mail and web surfing (checking the news).  If you have no plans to stream movies, download lots of books or conduct video chat sessions I would not bother upgrading.

Which ship?  The experience is different depending on whether the ship has been upgraded to StarLink or not. 

The basic WiFi does not permit streaming video which makes loading some website impractical.  If all you want is to send text messages or email, that should work. 

There have been a couple of post indicating that the basic and premium WiFi are going away and that it will be Premium (Surf + Stream) only going forward with StarLink. 

Take a look here:

Edited by DaKahuna

4 minutes ago, Bo1331 said:

Can I use my Verizon IPhone and connect to startlnk.  We normally get the international plan with unlimited data.

I'm no expert on any of this but I believe it's the ship that's connected (or not, as the case may be) to Starlink and you are connected to the ship's internal service, either basic or premium depending what you plan to do.  You won't be able to connect your phone directly to Starlink and your Verizon plan, while at sea, is not much use to you.

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Which ship?  The experience is different depending on whether the ship has been upgraded to StarLink or not. 

The basic WiFi does not permit streaming video which makes loading some website impractical.  If all you want is to send text messages or email, that should work. 

There have been a couple of post indicating that the basic and premium WiFi are going away and that it will be Premium (Surf + Stream) only going forward with StarLink. 

Take a look here:

The OP said Constellatiin

We did an upgrade last week and depending where you were, you could send photos.  Many of our emails could not be sent with attached photos.  FaceTime did not perform well with the Premium Plan. 

• 2 weeks later...

We got "basic" with our aqua class suite and upgraded to the "Premium" so I could be in touch with my office.  I've used 300 baud dial up modems that were faster... 

Facetime didn't work properly.  Voice calls over wifi didn't work  Text messages frequently failed to send.  I tried watching a few videos on Instagram and it would take 30 seconds for a 10 second video to begin playing.

I went to the internet center and they suggested I reboot my phone,  No help.  When we were in port, I turned off airplane mode, paid Verizon their $10/day travel pass, and took care of business.

I will say that I received and could send emails, however I don't know how quickly they went out or were received.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 12:53 PM, keesar said:

We did an upgrade last week and depending where you were, you could send photos.  Many of our emails could not be sent with attached photos.  FaceTime did not perform well with the Premium Plan. 

What was the difference in cost? Basic is included in my package, ($20 per day) and upgraded is $35pd, do we just pay the difference?  and per person or per cabin?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, itsawonderfullife said:

What was the difference in cost? Basic is included in my package, ($20 per day) and upgraded is $35pd, do we just pay the difference?  and per person or per cabin?  Thanks!

yes difference.  I our  cruise planner the price is discounted to $13 pd .  We only upgrade 1 of us to Premium.  It is not really per person each person gets 1 login which can be used on any device, just one at a time.
We find having one premium login and one basic login allows us both to be working at the same time. Just one of us can’t have premium at this time.

13 minutes ago, itsawonderfullife said:

Check your cruise planner for a sale.  It will usually be a coupon for $13 a day for the upgrade.  But if you have a loyalty discount, that will also be applied by calling Captain's Club.  With our Elite 30% discount, we paid $9 a day for the upgrade to Premium.

I am frustrated!  I asked in a couple of threads here on CC and a couple of very kind people replied to my question about how much 1 day of wifi would cost.

In the past hour I have decided to get wifi for both of our back to back cruises.  I have booked the Basic wifi for the first and when I go on to book for the second cruise, it only shows Premium, which I really do not need.  I just want to text/email with family for the fun of it and not have to worry about wifi in ports.

Anyone else run into this problem.  I guess that I will have to call Celebrity?  Just hate to wait on line for something that should be a simple order.  Any thoughts?

You can currently go online to your booking to buy the basic-to-premium upgrade voucher.  Price is $10.99.   This includes a 10% precruise discount off the $13.00 upgrade rate.  I'll need to call captains club to see if I can add the 30% elite discount to this, per keesar's post.

"Staying connected to family and friends just got easier. Upgrade pre-cruise from Basic to Premium Wi-Fi and save. With Premium Wi-Fi be able to share photos or videos on social media, use streaming apps, make video calls, and email large files. This offer is only available online. To redeem this voucher, visit the Celebrity iLounge once you’re on the ship."

Highlights

• The Wi-Fi Upgrade Voucher is only valid for guests who have already purchased the Basic Wi-Fi package prior to sailing.
  • Guests who do not have a Wi-Fi package or have already purchased a Premium Wi-Fi package are not eligible for this Upgrade Voucher.