To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question.

Canuker

Just been on the phone to Celebrity, as the prices of the cruise we're booked on have now dropped materially, compared with the price I paid.

1. I asked about a refund of the difference: No: it's less than 90 days to sail date.

OK.

2. I asked about paying for an upgrade. The price they quoted me was about double the difference between what I'd paid and what they are advertising for a new booking on their own website.

Hmm.

2a. By accepting their upgrade offer I would also sacrifice significant OBCs.

Bottom line: I refused their offer. Doing the math, the total cost of the upgrade was not nearly the deal I thought it was going to be. If it sounds too good to be true....

Turns out the devil's in the details.

Finally, a question that occurs to me following all that: if I later make a 'MoveUp' offer instead, would I also lose my OBCs?

my understanding with the newer system is if you are successful in your MoveUp bid, you keep what you have but ie. moveup to Retreat Class, you would not get the premium drink package or premium wifi.   You will pay the extra in gratuities from the category you are booked at.  

13 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

19 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Just been on the phone to Celebrity, as the prices of the cruise we're booked on have now dropped materially, compared with the price I paid.

1. I asked about a refund of the difference: No: it's less than 90 days to sail date.

OK.

2. I asked about paying for an upgrade. The price they quoted me was about double the difference between what I'd paid and what they are advertising for a new booking on their own website.

Hmm.

2a. By accepting their upgrade offer I would also sacrifice significant OBCs.

Bottom line: I refused their offer. Doing the math, the total cost of the upgrade was not nearly the deal I thought it was going to be. If it sounds too good to be true....

Turns out the devil's in the details.

Finally, a question that occurs to me following all that: if I later make a 'MoveUp' offer instead, would I also lose my OBCs?

You do keep the OBC.  If you are bidding on Retreat I would email Celebrity to see if they include dinks. I say this because the rule is you don't get any promotions associated with the new room but you do get the standard benefits of the room class, not sure if drinks are considered a promotion or part of the room for retreat.  If you are bidding on Aqua you don't get drinks.

FYI, the same thing happened to me, within the 90 days they charge more than the difference between cabin prices.  Leaves Move-Up as the only answer.

• Like 1

When you do a move up it would not effect OBC , if you had a drink package you would keep the same drink package, going to a suite will give you meals in suite restaurants and free drinks all day in suite lounge , love suite lounge and restaurants.

I called to see if I could do the same.  Celebrity wanted more than what the website said, so it made absolutely no sense to try and do it early, after the 90 days.  It is just tough love, so I get it!  I will take my chance with the algorithm, along with my “recipe" for getting a certain cabin.  Let the games begin🤑

Edited by Lastdance

From the OP: thank you to everyone who has responded, with experiences and strategies. I'm obliged.

Given the above, I don't feel that I have been singled out by X, as others have echoed my experience.

I'll have to see what I can do with MoveUp, if anything. It will evidently be just the cabin, not the cabin perks that go with it that I don't already have. At least I'd get to keep my nice OBC.

Thanks again.

Canuker.

As was stated earlier, with Move Up you get the ammenties of the new room but no the perks.  e.g.  Suite amenities are Access to the Retreat Lounge/Michael's Club and Luminae.  The perks of booking a suite class rooms are the OBC, WiFi, prepaid gratuities, and Premium Beverage Package.   As also noted, when in the Retreat Lounge/Michael's Club the drinks are complementary but not on the Retreat Sundeck or in Luminae. 

23 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

As was stated earlier, with Move Up you get the ammenties of the new room but no the perks.  e.g.  Suite amenities are Access to the Retreat Lounge/Michael's Club and Luminae.  The perks of booking a suite class rooms are the OBC, WiFi, prepaid gratuities, and Premium Beverage Package.   As also noted, when in the Retreat Lounge/Michael's Club the drinks are complementary but not on the Retreat Sundeck or in Luminae. 

Do they let people get their drink in the retreat lounge and take it out to the retreat sun deck, or do they make you finish it there?

3 minutes ago, bpick518 said:

Do they let people get their drink in the retreat lounge and take it out to the retreat sun deck, or do they make you finish it there?

I have never had a problem taking a drink with me from the lounge.  On the E-class ships the Retreat Sundeck is usually connected to each other and it's east to carry a drink from the lounge up to the sundeck.

On the M & S Class ships the lounge and sundeck are on opposite ends of the ships and mutlple decks apart so I have never even considered doing that on those class of ships. 

On 3/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, Canuker said:

From the OP: thank you to everyone who has responded, with experiences and strategies. I'm obliged.

Given the above, I don't feel that I have been singled out by X, as others have echoed my experience.

I'll have to see what I can do with MoveUp, if anything. It will evidently be just the cabin, not the cabin perks that go with it that I don't already have. At least I'd get to keep my nice OBC.

Thanks again.

Canuker.

What Class of cabin do currently have booked?  What Class of cabin were you considering?  
Do you have the AI or cruise only fare?