Typical dress code

MICHE99

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

You being from Texas is more than enough to try and convict you of us lizard people status to the elite in the Northeast.

That being said, I'd play a game of beer pong with you on a Viking ship if it meant getting under the skin of people that live within 50 miles of the I-95 corridor.

That's true, Texas being rated by CNBC as the #1 worst place to live and work. We hide out in our house when we're not going to watch the killin'-it Texas Rangers... 

I can proudly say that I have yet to (and will probably never) play beer pong... 🙂

But if it'll rankle some of the curmudgeons who lurk in these parts, I'm in!

On the other hand, on our upcoming Grand European river cruise with 2 of my brothers and their wives, and one of those brothers being a beer brewer and contest judge for more than 20 years, I expect I'll consume more beer than normal--just to keep up, of course. I've been known to sit in on the piano after a few glasses.

• Haha 2

On 7/14/2023 at 4:06 PM, Haqdeluxe said:

All I know is your not supposed to shoot the piano player! 

Good thing too, since I'm a piano player! Having played lots of honky-tonks back in my high school and college years, I've definitely seen my share of what might be known as "dives." Some of those clubs would be proud if they could even reach that level...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, longterm said:

On the other hand, on our upcoming Grand European river cruise with 2 of my brothers and their wives, and one of those brothers being a beer brewer and contest judge for more than 20 years, I expect I'll consume more beer than normal--just to keep up, of course. I've been known to sit in on the piano after a few glasses.

My Grand European is coming up, and I'm trying to figure out this dress code thing as well.

Signed,

Fellow Lizard Person

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, longterm said:

That's true, Texas being rated by CNBC as the #1 worst place to live and work. We hide out in our house when we're not going to watch the killin'-it Texas Rangers... 

I can proudly say that I have yet to (and will probably never) play beer pong... 🙂

But if it'll rankle some of the curmudgeons who lurk in these parts, I'm in!

Sit “on” or”at” the piano???
On would be quite the sight!

16 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

My Grand European is coming up, and I'm trying to figure out this dress code thing as well.

Signed,

Fellow Lizard Person

Oct. 4th from Budapest? If so, you'll have my 2 brothers and me, all on one trip. Sigh. Too late for you to reschedule... 🙂

12 hours ago, longterm said:

Oct. 4th from Budapest? If so, you'll have my 2 brothers and me, all on one trip. Sigh. Too late for you to reschedule... 🙂

Sadly not. I'm later this month.

I'll have to re-read this thread a few more times to determine what the right dress code is. I guess I'll bring slacks.

I saw a good argument in favour of the smart casual dress code applying in the world cafe. 

Puce velour tracksuit several sizes too small for the generously proportioned wearer. Some things cannot be unseen😬😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I saw a good argument in favour of the smart casual dress code applying in the world cafe. 

Puce velour tracksuit several sizes too small for the generously proportioned wearer. Some things cannot be unseen😬😝

Hey....some of us gain some weight on these cruises!

• Haha 1

I am on Viking’s Danube river cruise right now.   Good news for some, bad for others.  Attire is more casual than I expected.  Although you “can never be overdressed”, I sometimes feel overdressed at dinner in nice slacks (ones I always take on cruises and I’d wear to work meetings) and crepe type tops (again what I’d wear to work meetings).   I have seen many shorts being worn at dinner, mostly by men.   There have been some t-shirts but mostly golf shirts with the shorts. I’m not sure if it’s due to this being a river cruise and just more casual anyway or the extreme hot temperatures across the globe, but for those who like to dress for dinner, (don’t shoot the messenger please) my sense is this more casual attire is here to stay.  Understand I’m not advocating one way or another:  Just sharing what I’m seeing.  As someone earlier stated, there is no “guard” to speak of at the door.  

So overall, just enjoy yourself. If you have questions, I can try to answer them.  (I’ll also post some other observations in another forum later.)

Edited by cruz_happy

46 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

I am on Viking’s Danube river cruise right now.   Good news for some, bad for others.  Attire is more casual than I expected.  Although you “can never be overdressed”, I sometimes feel overdressed at dinner in nice slacks (ones I always take on cruises and I’d wear to work meetings) and crepe type tops (again what I’d wear to work meetings).   I have seen many shorts being worn at dinner, mostly by men.   There have been some t-shirts but mostly golf shirts with the shorts. I’m not sure if it’s due to this being a river cruise and just more casual anyway or the extreme hot temperatures across the globe, but for those who like to dress for dinner, (don’t shoot the messenger please) my sense is this more casual attire is here to stay.  Understand I’m not advocating one way or another:  Just sharing what I’m seeing.  As someone earlier stated, there is no “guard” to speak of at the door.  

So overall, just enjoy yourself. If you have questions, I can try to answer them.  (I’ll also post some other observations in another forum later.)

As in the work world, "casual" is interpreted differently by everyone.

What is casual to one is dressy to another.

Viking is a casual dress cruise line.  There is no need for "formal" attire at anytime on Viking.

I think that we just have to accept that casual is interpreted differently by different people.

I don't see any reason that men cannot wear shorts if they are proper walking shorts and not a bathing suit or sports/running shorts.  Proper walking shorts paired with a collared polo / golf shirt is fine.  Just no muscle shirts on the men because the last thing I want to see beside me while eating any meal is flabby arms and armpit hair.

We tend to dress a bit nicer for dinner, if we are going to The Restaurant, Manfredi's or The Chef's Table, but not for the World Cafe.  We like to come back from the day, shower, and dress in a slightly more elevated fashion as we see this as a night out and this just makes us feel better.

I grew up in the times that you dressed to go to theatre and to get on a airplane, and although I love that the expectation is not that high anymore, I am shocked sometimes at what some folks do wear, especially on an aircraft.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

As in the work world, "casual" is interpreted differently by everyone.

What is casual to one is dressy to another.

Viking is a casual dress cruise line.  There is no need for "formal" attire at anytime on Viking.

I think that we just have to accept that casual is interpreted differently by different people.

I don't see any reason that men cannot wear shorts if they are proper walking shorts and not a bathing suit or sports/running shorts.  Proper walking shorts paired with a collared polo / golf shirt is fine.  Just no muscle shirts on the men because the last thing I want to see beside me while eating any meal is flabby arms and armpit hair.

We tend to dress a bit nicer for dinner, if we are going to The Restaurant, Manfredi's or The Chef's Table, but not for the World Cafe.  We like to come back from the day, shower, and dress in a slightly more elevated fashion as we see this as a night out and this just makes us feel better.

I grew up in the times that you dressed to go to theatre and to get on a airplane, and although I love that the expectation is not that high anymore, I am shocked sometimes at what some folks do wear, especially on an aircraft.

I don’t disagree with you.  I personally am ok with it.  I was just sharing observations for others who may be questioning prior to their trip, and for packing plans, just as I had been earlier.  (Just reporting.). Luckily haven’t seen any muscle shirts at all, at least yet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruz_happy said:

I don’t disagree with you.  I personally am ok with it.  I was just sharing observations for others who may be questioning prior to their trip, and for packing plans, just as I had been earlier.  (Just reporting.). Luckily haven’t seen any muscle shirts at all, at least yet.  

Sorry - did not intend to challenge anything that you were saying.  I too agree with what you were saying....

I think that I was just adding to your observations and my thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

Read the Viking dress code and comply with it. Also remember your manners and no caps/hats at the dinner table. Lastly, I don’t mean to be offensive to the whole nation but, could some Americans please turn down the volume and speak more quietly when around other passengers?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Just off Venus and couldn't agree with you more....tone it down, we don't want to listen to your conversations and we especially don't like trying to eat our dinner with loud laughter. The more wine, the louder it got. We are all for having a good time, but that high pitched loud constant laughing...ugh. 

No jeans in the restaurant was followed, however they have a list behind the desk that list the people who are to be allowed in wearing jeans. On our cruise the list was long....the most people they have ever had on a cruise did not get their luggage. They kindly accepted us with what we had. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Just off Venus and couldn't agree with you more....tone it down, we don't want to listen to your conversations and we especially don't like trying to eat our dinner with loud laughter. The more wine, the louder it got. We are all for having a good time, but that high pitched loud constant laughing...ugh. 

Interesting thing with this is we have a friend that has commented on loud people before, but she has no concept of how loud she is.  You can hear her all over the ship.  No concept at all.

I am NOT suggesting that you are loud.  Just making a comment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

No jeans in the restaurant was followed, however they have a list behind the desk that list the people who are to be allowed in wearing jeans. On our cruise the list was long....the most people they have ever had on a cruise did not get their luggage. They kindly accepted us with what we had. 

What a mess.  Were you one of the folks whose luggage was lost?  Did it catch up with you at some point?

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

What a mess.  Were you one of the folks whose luggage was lost?  Did it catch up with you at some point?

Unfortunately my husband still has no luggage. It followed us to a couple ports they say, but at one port they say they lost it. So the formal word as of today is, it is lost and we don't have much hope. If anyone has any suggestions, we'll take them! You really come out on the short end with the airline and insurance. They don't cover some of the things, and for us not the total amount we lost. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Unfortunately my husband still has no luggage. It followed us to a couple ports they say, but at one port they say they lost it. So the formal word as of today is, it is lost and we don't have much hope. If anyone has any suggestions, we'll take them! You really come out on the short end with the airline and insurance. They don't cover some of the things, and for us not the total amount we lost. 

This does not help with your current situation, but many posters have commented on the value of Apple AirTags or the android equivalent. Many folks have been able to tell the searchers exactly where the luggage is, no matter what the various carriers think. I have been very impressed with my ability to 'follow' my luggage when travelling, although I have not had to put it to the acid test (yet ...).

Sorry for your travails this time and I hope it resolves successfully - perhaps worth a look for your next trip. 🍺🥌

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Do you need to try to get any thing at next port? Happy to try to advise if you identify port and requirements 

12 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:. Lastly, I don’t mean to be offensive to the whole nation but, could some Americans please turn down the volume and speak more quietly when around other passengers?

No, just as some

Non-Americans won’t turn down the volume and speak more quietly when around other

passengers. 

51 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

This does not help with your current situation, but many posters have commented on the value of Apple AirTags or the android equivalent. Many folks have been able to tell the searchers exactly where the luggage is, no matter what the various carriers think. I have been very impressed with my ability to 'follow' my luggage when travelling, although I have not had to put it to the acid test (yet ...).

Sorry for your travails this time and I hope it resolves successfully - perhaps worth a look for your next trip. 🍺🥌

Yes we are AirTag fans. There is an AirTag in his luggage...evidently the battery has died.