Galveston area to stay

sonomaphil

Heading out of Galveston for the first time and want to stay a day or two before hand.  In Fort Lauderdale we really like staying on Las Olas Blvd at the Riverside Hotel, lots to do, many restaurants and bars.  Is there an area like that in Galveston?  No kids so we don't need amusements.  We're not against staying on the beach if that's where everything is! 

The closest you will get to the Las Olas experience is on the Strand.  Its the downtown section of Galveston with a bunch of shops and restaurants.  Either the Harbor House or Tremont House are the best options in that area.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

The closest you will get to the Las Olas experience is on the Strand.  Its the downtown section of Galveston with a bunch of shops and restaurants.  Either the Harbor House or Tremont House are the best options in that area.  

Yes!  We stayed at the Tremont House and loved the area.  Easy walk to lots of restaurants.  Every bar seemed to have live music playing.  Loved the area and will plan to stay there next time we cruise from Galveston.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 1:33 PM, Liljo22 said:

Any grocery store or CVS in that area?

We always stay on the Seawall.  Plenty of bars and restaurants there and you are literally across from the beach.  The Strand is only 10 minutes away.  There is a CVS on Broadway ( the main street) that is probably halfway between the Seawall and the Strand.  There is a great Kroger on the Seawall not too far from the Hilton.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, wolfganghowell said:

We always stay on the Seawall.  Plenty of bars and restaurants there and you are literally across from the beach.  The Strand is only 10 minutes away.  There is a CVS on Broadway ( the main street) that is probably halfway between the Seawall and the Strand.  There is a great Kroger on the Seawall not too far from the Hilton.

Any particular hotel on the seawall? I need to book something for November.

21 hours ago, DALSAL said:

Any particular hotel on the seawall? I need to book something for November.

Do you want a resort style experience or a hotel/motel experience?  

San Luis and Grand Galvez are large resorts on the seawall.  Hilton is also resort style.  Everything else is your standard Courtyard or Holiday Inn style hotels.  

• Like 1

I just want a decent, safe place for one night before my cruise in November. Just me and a girlfriend. I don’t need breakfast the next morning. I was looking at 1890 Freeman House, but not sure it’s still available. I don’t want to pay $500. for 15 hours or so. I live north of Houston, but still like to go down the night before. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

Dalsal, we stayed at Home 2 Suites last month.  New hotel on Seawall, very clean, big rooms.  Less than $200 a night.

Just booked it. It gets rave reviews, or not so great reviews. But someone said they are working out the kinks! 

On 3/20/2023 at 3:45 PM, wolfganghowell said:

There is a wal-mart on 61st street, just North of Seawall Blvd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Do you want a resort style experience or a hotel/motel experience?  

San Luis and Grand Galvez are large resorts on the seawall.  Hilton is also resort style.  Everything else is your standard Courtyard or Holiday Inn style hotels.  

Look at Moody Gardens the largest resort area

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

They were asking about hotels on the sea wall though.  

Oh you brought up resort style . And I was bringing up the other full service hotels . 

Edited by ssb

20 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

Dalsal, we stayed at Home 2 Suites last month.  New hotel on Seawall, very clean, big rooms.  Less than $200 a night.

This is where we booked as well. Are there any reasonably priced places to get food close by? Also, did you have a car or use a shuttle. We are still trying to figure out how to get to port for a group of 7 or 9. 

14 hours ago, ssb said:

Look at Moody Gardens the largest resort area

We are looking forward to staying at Moody Gardens in November since it is upscale with restaurant and piano bar. We had to cancel there about 5 years ago do to storm canceling our flight even though they could have charged us for late cancellation they did not. 

tytan - the port is about 10 minutes away so your best bet is a cab or service.  Yes there are plenty of food options.  There's a pizza place right next door.  The Spot is down the street - several different venues - burgers/sandwiches/bar food.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

tytan - the port is about 10 minutes away so your best bet is a cab or service.  Yes there are plenty of food options.  There's a pizza place right next door.  The Spot is down the street - several different venues - burgers/sandwiches/bar food.

Thank you! We are good with pizza!