Cruise & Covid Insurance for Carnival Luminosa to Vanuatu & New Caledonia on 26 March 2023?

I was required to have cruise & covid travel insurance for my Carnival Luminosa cruise to Vanuatu and New Caledonia on 22/1/23.  The details of everyone's insurance policy was checked thoroughly at check-in.  I am booked for a similar itinerary departing Brisbane on 26/3/23.  When I booked some time ago I was advised that cruise & covid insurance was required but I cannot find out if that is still a requirement.  Any updates?  

Yes still mandatory. Lots of FB comments of people being either denied boarding or moved to another area with a phone to purchase correct insurance. I went with QANTAS insurance and mine was checked and ok-ed.

Thanks Hahaer, cruise_critical, and CDaze71 for your responses.  The last time I had Medibank Private Cruise and Covid Cover and I wonder if my ANZ platinum credit card (CC) may cover me.  I noticed in a previous post that Cheznandy had used their ANZ CC cover (page 3 of the PDS I presume) but I am unsure if it will be enough as this does not have the names of the cruisers and the cover on the one page.  Has anyone else tried to use their ANZ credit card, what did they provide as evidence of cover and was it enough if inspected before boarding?

Edited by cruisecrazyaussie
typo

4 minutes ago, cruisecrazyaussie said:

Thanks Hahaer, cruise_critical, and CDaze71 for your responses.  The last time I had Medibank Private Cruise and Covid Cover and I wonder if my ANZ platinum credit card (CC) may cover me.  I noticed in a previous post that Cheznandy had used their ANZ CC cover (page 3 of the PDS I presume) but I am unsure if it will be enough as this does not have the names of the cruisers and the cover on the one page.  Has anyone else tried to use their ANZ credit card, what did they provide as evidence of cover and what it enough if inspected before boarding?

Although we didn't need to prove any cover on our last 3 nights to nowhere, I had printed it all out.

On the 3rd page (not of the PDS, but the printed letter after you fill in your details) titled "Eligibility for cover while cruising and for epidemic/Pandemic (such as Covid) Cover", it does have our names, relationship, DOB, Ref No, dates etc.

and also says unlimited $$ for everything except Cancellation which states $20,000.

I am not sure they would require anything more than that.

Cheznandy - Thank you so much for the information and link.  I completed the form filling and note that page 3 clearly states that we are eligible while cruising for Covid. I printed out the Letter of Eligibility for both of us. The only concern for me is that cover in the Pacific only included Vanuatu by name with no option to include New Caledonia. Did you have the same issue?

17 minutes ago, cruisecrazyaussie said:

Cheznandy - Thank you so much for the information and link.  I completed the form filling and note that page 3 clearly states that we are eligible while cruising for Covid. I printed out the Letter of Eligibility for both of us. The only concern for me is that cover in the Pacific only included Vanuatu by name with no option to include New Caledonia. Did you have the same issue?

Yes, I called to ask what I should put in for a cruise to no where, she said just put in Pacific, but you can't as you have to drop down the list so I put Fiji🤣

If you were going to them all you would have to put in only one anyway. 

I am sure you will be fine as most of the other Travel Insurance cover letters will only have Pacific on them.

I would be concerned about the Cruise going ahead as planned to New Caledonia seeing that they have just suffered 2 tropical cyclones that have hit the communities badly. You might want to check with Carnival to confirm one way or the other

3 minutes ago, cruisecrazyaussie said:

That's great! Thanks Cheznandy  for your information and advice.

No worries, I have been using my ANZ Insurance for years....well less the lost 3 years😉thankfully never had to claim, but whenever I have called I get someone local that I can understand and they have always been helpful. Just call if you are unsure and need it stated that New Caledonia is included, I am sure they will email you something you can print out.

We lose our free ANZ Qantas Black card around August as ANZ have changed all their investment packages etc. It will cost us over $400 yearly and I have been researching for months for a card that gives us 1 for 1 points, Lounge passes and good travel insurance and it is the best.

When I weigh up what travel insurance will cost, a couple of trips pays for it. 

We are off to Cairns for a week soon and will have some domestic cover and car excess etc, so I think it is worth hanging on to it.

15 minutes ago, cruisecrazyaussie said:

Hi Cheznandy. What ANZ phone number do you call? With so many companies I get on endless wait times to find I'm referred to someone else with more wait time which usually ends with nothing solved!

I called this one, 

You can obtain written confirmation of your eligibility for cover for your overseas journey by calling Allianz Global Assistance on 1300135271, 9am to 5pm AEST, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

I also use ANZ credit card insurance and select 'worldwide' from the drop down box to cover all destinations. The three page confirmation they email you after you use the online site to check cover lists all required details.

• Like 1

We did a cruise to Vanuatu and New Caledonia in January and February from Brisbane. One was on Luminosa when we were asked about insurance and one was on Quantum of the Seas and we were not asked about insurance. Neighbour who works at BICT says check in staff supplied by different companies.

I thought Carnival (and Princess) vacation protection insurance was not available for Australians and only for US citizens (and some Canadians). I could well be wrong though.

I had a quick google and couldn't confirm this - though I did see emergency evacuation is capped at $30,000 (is that $US)  and $10,000 medical - if so maybe not acceptable for Noumea etc. Travel insurance I have had (and do have for a June/July South Pacific cruise) is unlimited for both. 

Edited by Aussieflyer

On 3/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, cruisecrazyaussie said:

Thanks Tripmode33 - good idea!  Has your policy ever been examined at check-in?

First cruise to Noumea this Sunday. But others using same insurance document have reported that it has passed scrutiny.  My sister is on current Luminosa cruise to Noumea with same document and it passed inspection.

I do hope that they are checking policies as some cruisers without suitable complimentary credit card insurance have paid considerable amounts for theirs.

I cruised to the South Pacific in February with Carnival and had to show proof of coverage prior to boarding. I had insured with QANTAS but the certificate did not have mention of Covid-19 on it. I rang and they were happy to send an email stating I was covered, which I printed out and showed when asked.