Advice and suggestions welcomed

Random thoughts:

* So many things to see in Sydney...one of our favorite cities in the world. The cruise terminal (OPT, Overseas Passenger Terminal), is walking distance to the Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, The Rocks, CBD, botanical garden...Circular Quay is the nearest train stop and is only a 5-minute walk to and from the cruise terminal.

* Highly recommend purchasing the Opal Card...perhaps one of the best value/most economical way to get around Sydney and outlying areas. The Opal Card will give you access to the trains, buses  and ferries.

* Arrive at least 2 days (if you can) before your cruise...it's a long flight.

* Consider doing a b2b...you are flying all that way...might as well do at least 2 cruises, perhaps more. Happy sailing!

• Like 2

I have cruised to Sydney twice (on another cruise line), and will be flying over again on the 22nd of this month to board the Ovation on a B5B to get me home to Seattle.

I agree with everything bonsai3s said. Sydney is a great metropolitan city, and lots to do and see.

If you have more specific questions, ask away. I am staying in the Meriton Suites - Sussex this time, 3 days prior. Remember you will skip a day flying over, so plan accordingly. I leave LAX at 11:30pm on the 22nd, and arrive Sydney at 8:30am on the 24th.

• Like 2

We have done this trip. DH refused to fly economy for such a long flight.(It was two flights)  We flew business class on Qatar airlines eastbound rather than flying west.  They treated us royally.  Do fly in at least 4 days early so you can enjoy Sydney.  Keep in mind that Sydney is almost day ahead of us in time.  Really enjoyed the Taronga Zoo which is across the harbor from Sydney.  Do get the Opal card. The Sydney transportation system is great!...Bus, trams and ferries!

We did a b2b from Sydney around New Zealand and then into the South Pacific back to Sydney.  Had three more days in Sydney before flying back to the US.  Wish we had stayed even longer.

• Like 2

We landed in Austrailia 3 days before and stayed 2 days after and stayed at the Intercontinental downtown.  Most everyting we went to was within easy walking distance..  Absolutely do the bridge climb.  Best thing ever.  We also did the back stage/extended 2 hour opera house tour, which was pretty cool.  Went to the Taranga zoo and did the giraffe and koala encounters. Took a ferry to Manly Beach from downtown, so that got us a "free" harbor cruise. We also walked through the botanical gardens and along the harbor one morning.  We wanted to do the sydney tower walk, but didn't quite get to that.  If you like wine, we did the Hunter Valley all day wine tour in a small group from Sydney.  We hit 3 wineries, including Tyrell's Winery.  Wish I coudl remember the name.... our guide, who was in the wine business for 25+ years or so, was super knowledgable.  We were doing one or two things every day, but didn't seemed rushed.  Probably could have spent one more day there.

Edited by The Scurvy Pirate
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* Arrive at least 2 days (if you can) before your cruise...it's a long flight.

* Consider doing a b2b...you are flying all that way...might as well do at least 2 cruises, perhaps more. Happy sailing!

Agree about arriving early.  If you're spending the money and time to go so far, you really should spend some time in Australia!  

I don't know if I'd want to do a B2B or spend a week (or so) in Australia + a week on the ship.  Either way you're a winner. 

Just now, bavrail18 said:

Right now Sydney is 16 hours ahead of the US east coast. After Sunday (3/12) it will be 15 hours ahead. 

Another good reason to fly in early /acclimate yourself to the local time. 

We are from the UK not US but did the trip last Nov/Dec. Our trip did not go to plan (caught covid midway through) and ended up spending a lot of extra time in Sydney but we absolutely loved the city and saw lots of things we'd never planned. Can't wait to return. It took me over a week to fully adjust to the time difference so allow yourself plenty of time.

My top tip would be to head over to the Australian board on CC where there are lots of very helpful locals who can answer all your questions.