waitlisted for barcelona exertions

fawnie

Hi all!

I didnt not choose our exertion in Barcelona until it was full. I know very dumb on my part.  My questions are is there usually a good chance that we might get to go? I looked at Spain day tours and they dont do groups of 2 ( which we are ) Is the port of Barcelona actually something that is interesting just to get off and walk around or have I messed this up completely?  Thank you in advance for any help 

18 minutes ago, fawnie said:

Is the port of Barcelona actually something that is interesting just to get off and walk around

No. There is nothing at all there apart from the odd shop selling tourist tat. It is a very big complex and Carnival's terminal (yes Carnival have their own terminal there) is right at the end. Shuttle buses are usually running between the terminals to just outside the city.

It is possible to walk into the centre but it is not a pleasant walk as much of it is on a narrow pavement/sidewalk of a busy road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fawnie said:

looked at Spain day tours and they dont do groups of 2 ( which we are

SpainDayTours certainly do excursions for more than two people.  They limit the number to 14 or 16 people per tour. 

I suggest you e-mail them, telling them which tour you are interested in - they respond quickly.

I'd also suggest that you don't let your spell check use the word exertions.  "Looking for exertions"  has a totally different connotation to " looking for excursions" ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure which berth you will occupy, but the trek to even get out of the port area can be long one.  Princess might offer more availability of a tour once on board if they can scrape up enough people to join and get the tour operator to agree to operate.

The World Trade Center is near the port area and there is Hop on and Off Bus has a stop there.  There are 3 routes for the HOAOB, but you're free to transfer to any of them with in the allotted time on your ticket.  Pre-purchase a ticket online.

If your confident enough to navigate, the Metro is Barcelona is great.  This is the option we took.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

SpainDayTours certainly do excursions for more than two people.  They limit the number to 14 or 16 people per tour. 

I suggest you e-mail them, telling them which tour you are interested in - they respond quickly.

I'd also suggest that you don't let your spell check use the word exertions.  "Looking for exerions"  has a totally different connotation to " looking for excursions" ! 

you are absolutely correct ... so sorry for the confusion. Early morning typo  Thanks responding anyway

8 hours ago, fawnie said:

Is the port of Barcelona actually something that is interesting just to get off and walk around or have I messed this up completely?  Thank you in advance for any help 

The cruise port is about a mile from the base of La Rambla -- a place that we always enjoy a stroll.   I wouldn't walk it.  Take a shuttle or taxi.  That is one option if you want a DIY near the ship terminal.  

BTW, I also think you have been given a good option with Spain Day Tours.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

La Rambla -- a place that we always enjoy a stroll.

I don't know how long it is since you were last there but after visiting last year it is not somewhere that I would recommend to anyone - it has gone downhill, most of the shops have closed down. it looks untidy and does not feel safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is very easy to get the shuttle from the dock to the bottom of Las Ramblas. I think it cost €3 per person each way last year but may have gone up. I wouldn't walk from the ship as it is a long way. From there it is a very easy flat walk to get to the Gothic Quarter with the Cathedral, Plaza Reial, shops and laneways to stroll. Half way up Las Ramblas is Mercat de la Boqueria which is fun to visit. You can also walk to Casa Batilo and Casa Mila. You can get the Metro to Sagrada Familia and Park Guell or get the cable car to Castel Montjuic. There are also the Hop On Hop Off buses. You can also get taxis to where you want to go. There are lots of very easy DIY options in Barcelona.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, david63 said:

I don't know how long it is since you were last there but after visiting last year it is not somewhere that I would recommend to anyone - it has gone downhill, most of the shops have closed down. it looks untidy and does not feel safe.

Last time was 2019.   IMO, it was always a place to take care after dark.    

For real, most of the shops are closed?  Does that include the outside seating restaurants?  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Last time was 2019.   IMO, it was always a place to take care after dark.    

For real, most of the shops are closed?  Does that include the outside seating restaurants?  

Not the poster you are replying to but I was there last year and I thought Las Ramblas was it's usual busy place with many restaurants and tourist shops open in the middle walking area and I did not feel unsafe. I did not notice that there were many closed shops in the buildings on the road sides but then I wasn't really looking. I stayed in Barcelona for almost a week and it seemed very much as previous visits - busy and vibrant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the tour you wanted to book is all full up on the ship, you can easily book with an independent tour company I'm sure! You can do a quick search on Viator as well and join a tour, just make sure you pick a tour that works with the time you are in port as to not miss the ship.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:26 AM, fawnie said:

Is the port of Barcelona actually something that is interesting just to get off and walk around or have I messed this up completely?

Depending on where your interests lie, (and how much luggage you have) I would just get in the taxi line (it can be very, very long, but it moves quickly) and then just head to the area or sites you want to see.  La Sagrada Familia books visitors in advance so you could have a pre-set time to enter, or take an organized tour (recommended) if that is something you want to see.  Or head to a museum.  Or stroll de Gracia to gaze at the amazing architecture and Gaudi buildings.  You really don't need an organized tour to experience Barcelona.  Just a little bit of research and reading.  But if you have too much luggage to make that work, you might try contacting a major hotel chain, preferably one with which you have some status, and ask if you can check you luggage there for a few hours. (Tip well).  It is harder to do that now, with security issues, but it doesn't hurt to ask.   

16 hours ago, david63 said:

This reads as if it was written by someone with an axe to grind.  We were there in October and this could not have been further from the truth.  Well, I can't speak to the part about it going downhill, as I don't have a frame of reference of what it was like several years ago.  But I can say that in no way, shape or form are "most of the shops closed down", "untidy" or "unsafe." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But I can say that in no way, shape or form are "most of the shops closed down", "untidy" or "unsafe." 

I'd agree with you 100%, but with the proviso that the area is, obviously, a tourist magnet, with prices to match. Hundreds of tourists buying microwaved paella and drinking overpriced wine. I just don't see the attraction of the place.

Just go to one of the adjacent streets to experience the true Barcelona.

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I just don't see the attraction of the place.

Just go to one of the adjacent streets to experience the true Barcelona.

I agree with this for sure.  So many places in the Gothic Quarter to explore and roam around that are better than the main tourist street.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 7:26 AM, fawnie said:

Hi all!

I didnt not choose our exertion in Barcelona until it was full. I know very dumb on my part.  My questions are is there usually a good chance that we might get to go? I looked at Spain day tours and they dont do groups of 2 ( which we are ) Is the port of Barcelona actually something that is interesting just to get off and walk around or have I messed this up completely?  Thank you in advance for any help 

We used Get Your Guide tours last year when we were in Barcelona for 3 days prior to our WB TA on Wonder of the Seas.  We did the 3 hour La Sagrada Familia tour and they took groups of 2.  Our tour group had 4 or 5 "pairs" of folks and it was fantastic.  Once the tour was done we were able to stay at the church longer to explore more.  We would've but we did the tour the day we arrived in Barcelona and we were really tired at that point and just wanted to get back to the hotel.

Here's the link to the tour we did:  Get Your Guide - Sagrada Familia Skip-The-Ticket Line Guided Tour: https://www.getyourguide.com/barcelona-l45/sagrada-familia-skip-the-ticket-line-guided-tour-ticket-t288805/

Here's the video I made of the tour:  

We were in Barcelona for 3 days before our cruise and we found most shops were open.  Best souvenirs were at the tourist office on Las Ramblas across and down the street from La Boqueria.  We had no problems during our time there, but please do be careful of pickpockets.

I would definitely recommend taking a cab to get from the ship to the church (and back to the church, just make sure you ask the cabbies how much the fare is before you go) should you decide to do this tour.  And if there's one thing to visit in Barcelona, it is La Sagrada Familia.  

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1