Extremely Frustrated with my NCL credit card so far

Smitheroo

Can someone explain the difference between the two and the differences involved earning each?  

I hate to ask questions that are probably very basic to most on this forum.   If there was a source available I would read through it but I can find nothing that explains a lot of the details in language that is easily understood by the newbie

what are "the two"?? I thought there was only one type of credit card.  I've been pretty happy with it so far.  Charge the cruise, pay it off, get the points, use points for some credit against the next cruise, repeat until infinity

• Like 4

1 hour ago, trivimp said:

what are "the two

I am sorry. I dont know what happened but it looks like a question I asked got put under another heading. "the two" are referring to the two types of OBC . (refundable vs nonrefundable) I dont know why it is under the heading about my experience with my new NCL credit card.

2 hours ago, fredflint said:

You really did not ask a question this should answer most https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/norwegian-cruise-lines-credit-card/

Not sure what you mean. I did ask a question. I see a question mark.  Somehow my question got put under the title of another post I started.  I'm sure I must have done something wrong.

I wanted to know how you earn NR OBC vs R OBC but I have learned a lot since I asked the question. The problem is that it is not in one source.  I was hoping someone would summarize it. The link is only in very general terms and since it is about the credit card doesnt cover NR OBC.

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Not sure what you mean. I did ask a question. I see a question mark.  Somehow my question got put under the title of another post I started.  I'm sure I must have done something wrong.

I wanted to know how you earn NR OBC vs R OBC but I have learned a lot since I asked the question. The problem is that it is not in one source.  I was hoping someone would summarize it. The link is only in very general terms and since it is about the credit card doesnt cover NR OBC.

My understanding is anything issues by NCL is an nonrefundable credit (stockholder benefit).  I am not sure if the card gives refundable or nonrefundable but I'm guessing it's nonrefundable.  The only time I get refundable credit is when it comes from my travel agent.  I use the points from the credit card to pay the balance.

I get OBC for my points  but everyone is different  there is usually plenty of places to spend your non refundable  credit but it is usually  credit you get from someone else the cruise line or your TA.  If you are using points for credit it is usually refundable.  A trick it to use the credit to "gamble" then just place one bet and cash out!

11 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Don’t cash in points for onboard credit. Use your card on the ship, get 3 points per dollar spent, then cash in for credit towards your card balance.

Yours is good advice, and, the process is easy to do!

3 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

It is a terrible rewards card anyway, even the Costco card is better for NCL purchases. They should give 5x like most other branded cards.

That's funny.  Cxxx gives 3% for travel.  Unless they give you 5% if you book through them and it's considered a Cxxx purchase - no personal experience.

But I just used my NCL points to upgrade to a balcony on an upcoming trip.  I paid $300 in points value, the value of the upgrade is about $1,700.

Trip #2, upgrade is worth nearly $3K.

So my measly 3% on $20k in purchases ($600) is currently worth well over $4k. That's on top of the trips I've already taken, using points upgrades.  And I still have the option to bid, plus use the BOGO airfare - neither option offered through Cxxx.

But YMMV.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, julig22 said:

That's funny.  Cxxx gives 3% for travel.  Unless they give you 5% if you book through them and it's considered a Cxxx purchase - no personal experience.

But I just used my NCL points to upgrade to a balcony on an upcoming trip.  I paid $300 in points value, the value of the upgrade is about $1,700.

Trip #2, upgrade is worth nearly $3K.

So my measly 3% on $20k in purchases ($600) is currently worth well over $4k. That's on top of the trips I've already taken, using points upgrades.  And I still have the option to bid, plus use the BOGO airfare - neither option offered through Cxxx.

But YMMV.

I was talking about OBC value but if you want to go down that path then the Amex Plat or Saphire Reserve is better where you get 5x points and can be used for international business class tix like the ones I got to Porto last fall that saved me $25000. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Please explain. I get the part about using your card on board. When/where do you cash in the points? 

There is a Rewards section on the Bank of America/NCL card website. Once you have enough points to cash in, it is a simple process to convert them to cash on your account.  
If you haven’t seen it, there is a huge FAQ thread here with all of the explanations and answers about the NCL credit card. It is the first post pinned at the top of this section.

Edited by Zippeedee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Please explain. I get the part about using your card on board. When/where do you cash in the points? 

Using points can be done Pre and/or Post cruise.

We occasionally take Statement Credits on our BoA cards to "cash-in" points balances, after cruises. We have also used points to get OBC pre-cruise.

I recently sent points from my BoA account to DH's account to roundup his balance (my card gets used far less frequently than his), but we have it as a back-up.