New 25 % VAT Brazilian tax on all shipboard purchases of goods while in it's waters!

I have not read any discussion of this on Cruise Critic but there is a new 25% VAT tax on all onboard purchases made in bars, boutique and spas. It does not apply to services in the spa but on products purchased there.  This applies to days at sea between ports of call.

The jewelry boutique has announced an indeterminant discount as the remainder of this Voyager cruise and the majority of the following cruise are within Brazilian waters.

Yesterday, I participated in the already somewhat pricey Wine Pairing Lunch and the Sommelier called to make sure I knew that the tax was on top of that.

Luckily, most things are included on Regent, but if you are a fan of Premium Wines, this may be a consideration.

Edited by Kissing Seahorses
  • Like 1

I guess the solution is don't buy anything while in Brazilian waters and Regent should avoid wine events at the same time.  Chile has a similar tax.  Silversea's answer on our Antarctic cruise was to close the boutiques in Chilean waters.

• Like 1

The tax was definitely there in December of last year.  We enjoy wines from the connoisseur list most nights and we were fortunate because we boarded Mariner in Buenos Aries and ordered and payed for a number of wines from the Head Somm before we entered Brazilian waters.  He kept the wines for us and we just let him know when we wanted one and where we would be.  Worked perfectly!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

On our recent Regent cruise that went from CapeTown to Buenos Aires (via Brazil), the staff made announcements alerting passengers to make purchases before the additional tax had to be collected and announced when the tax would disappear.  Very nice of them.

Yep as I remember as long as your are in what they consider their waters. It is really not hard to not buy ship stuff for a few days. Just do it before or after when not in their water.

• Thanks 1