Premier Pass package

WVU-79

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

Actually there is legal precedent for them having to honour it.

Anyone remember the Hoover free flights fiasco? We studied it in marketing at university as an example of a promotion gone badly wrong - but legally they had to honour it.

Apples and Oranges 

First, the Hoover incidence of as not an error, it was legitimate and then reneged upon. 

Second, there is language in the T&C of the purchase of anything in Royal’s cruise planner that allows for the legal removal of any offer post purchase and a refund. 

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

And at what point do you think Royal should be held accountable for their “mistakes”? It’s not like this is a one off. If they’re going to run their business like a bunch of incompetent cowboys, fine, but why should customers be penalised for that?

I am not saying that they shouldnt be held accountable. Refunds are in order and if customers cancelled any former purchases, they should be restored at original rate. If Royal does this then customer are not penalized in any way. They are made whole again.

Experienced cruisers KNEW this was a mistake and tried to take advantage of the company.  

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You probably have no skin in the game.  Are you telling me that if you saw such a special that you would simply ignore it.  I'm amazed by your and others reaction.  Those that have booked this are being called delusional, betting against those that have booked or close to being crooks by taking advantage of this so-called deal. 

During the Labor Day Weekend the "Key" was being advertised as $14.99 pp/pd.  In your mind this was an error but guess what it was real and saved us a lot of money.

I saw the special when it came out and I thought, $90 for two people for goods/services valued up to $750, it was an obvious error that would have only gotten me a refund for my trouble. 

And, yes once Royal announced it was in error, it is unreasonable for people to expect any more than a refund and restoration of any cancellations. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I am not saying that they shouldnt be held accountable. Refunds are in order and if customers cancelled any former purchases, they should be restored at original rate. If Royal does this then customer are not penalized in any way. They are made whole again.

Experienced cruisers KNEW this was a mistake and tried to take advantage of the company.  

Exactly this . .  most cruisers on this board are not gullible "newbies" and knew in their hearts this was a mistake but hoped to screw the system anyway. Now want to stomp their feet and act outraged at Royal's incompetence. It must be wonderful to go through life and never make a mistake yourself!

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Most cruisers never saw this deal in the first place. They aren't logged into their cruise planner every single day like a typical CC member is.

Very true and why should they have to pay more for their internet service than people who tried to take advantage of an obvious mistake. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, melbur said:

Exactly this . .  most cruisers on this board are not gullible "newbies" and knew in their hearts this was a mistake but hoped to screw the system anyway. Now want to stomp their feet and act outraged at Royal's incompetence. It must be wonderful to go through life and never make a mistake yourself!

In all honesty I agree with you. However, I could look at it from another point of view. Does anyone actually believe $4k for an OWC at CoCo to be reasonable?  Some might, but I think most believe it is unreasonable. I see people here say “if people are dumb enough to pay it, why shouldn’t RC charge it.”  Well if RC is dumb enough to not have adequate checks and balances to ensure they don’t advertise unrealistic deals through their planner to the masses, why shouldn’t they honor it.  This wasn’t a one-off, they’ve done it before.  RC has been steadily raising prices on fares, drinks, specialty dining, excursions, gratuity fees while stripping food options, reducing housekeeping, etc. It is hard to just chalk this up to a mistake when they’ve seemingly not cared about the value of their brand or passenger loyalty. Lately, they’ve been in a money grab. Why shouldn’t folks stomp their feet and push back?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Boz575 said:

In all honesty I agree with you. However, I could look at it from another point of view. Does anyone actually believe $4k for an OWC at CoCo to be reasonable?  Some might, but I think most believe it is unreasonable. I see people here say “if people are dumb enough to pay it, why shouldn’t RC charge it.”  Well if RC is dumb enough to not have adequate checks and balances to ensure they don’t advertise unrealistic deals through their planner to the masses, why shouldn’t they honor it.  This wasn’t a one-off, they’ve done it before.  RC has been steadily raising prices on fares, drinks, specialty dining, excursions, gratuity fees while stripping food options, reducing housekeeping, etc. It is hard to just chalk this up to a mistake when they’ve seemingly not cared about the value of their brand or passenger loyalty. Lately, they’ve been in a money grab. Why shouldn’t folks stomp their feet and push back?

We operate in a free market where the customers have a choice of Cruise Lines. Demand for cruising is back up after the pandemic and since restrictions have been lifted. The cruise lines lost billions during the shut down and now inflation is on the rise. Combine higher demand + inflation and you are going to see higher prices and cut backs. Reasonable is such a subjective word. 

It was a mistake. Pure & simple. Look at this thread, many who purchased the package did so suspecting highly that it would not be honored but rolled the dice anyway. They arent upset and stomping their feet. RC isnt running a charity here or trying to run some break even business. Prices are up everywhere across the board. Its not a money grab, its called sustainability as a company when your costs go up. 

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Most cruisers never saw this deal in the first place. They aren't logged into their cruise planner every single day like a typical CC member is.

I’m not logged into my CP every day; in fact, I only log in occasionally.  I only leaned about the package on this thread.  I did think it might be a pricing error.  If so, Royal would either (a) let it stand like the $18 drink package or (b) refund it.  Either way, I booked it for all four cruises.  If they had let it stand, I might as well be the one benefiting.  If they refund, I’ll be laid back while it processes.  

• Like 4

It seems to me that it was a bit more more than a “mistake” that this was released on the website.  It was a breakdown of the checks and balances that a huge company like this should have to keep this kind of thing from happening.  The package had to be developed, branded, priced and then activated to the website.  A mistake in pricing may be easy, but it seems like doing all that takes some effort, not to mention a QC review.

I don’t think I deserve any compensation but I do think anyone who canceled a package due to this should be able to get their original pricing back.

Does it have deeper implications to the culture of the larger organization as a whole?  That is at least a valid question.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

We operate in a free market where the customers have a choice of Cruise Lines. Demand for cruising is back up after the pandemic and since restrictions have been lifted. The cruise lines lost billions during the shut down and now inflation is on the rise. Combine higher demand + inflation and you are going to see higher prices and cut backs. Reasonable is such a subjective word. 

It was a mistake. Pure & simple. Look at this thread, many who purchased the package did so suspecting highly that it would not be honored but rolled the dice anyway. They arent upset and stomping their feet. RC isnt running a charity here or trying to run some break even business. Prices are up everywhere across the board. Its not a money grab, its called sustainability as a company when your costs go up. 

To he honest Fanatic, RC doesn’t let you look at the prices of their excursions until after you’ve booked and paid your deposit so it isn’t exactly a “choice.”  Keep in mind RC implemented reduced service after passengers had booked. No grandfathering. It is a tired argument that inflation has pushed prices up. What we see in the grocery is not what RC pays. They have long term supplier contracts that do not fluctuate. It absolutely is a money grab. No they are not operating a charity, but they are washing out the brand.  RC used to set itself apart from the competition. Now, they are becoming just like the whale tale and folks will start shopping around long term. Not exactly a good model for sustainability. 

Edited by Boz575
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Boz575 said:

To he honest Fanatic, RC doesn’t let you look at the prices of their excursions until after you’ve booked and paid your deposit so it isn’t exactly a “choice.”  Keep in mind RC implemented reduced service after passengers had booked. No grandfathering. It is a tired argument that inflation has pushed prices up. What we see in the grocery is not what RC pays. They have long term supplier contracts that do not fluctuate. It absolutely is a money grab. No they are not operating a charity, but they are washing out the brand.  RC used to set itself apart from the competition. Now, they are becoming just like the whale tale and folks will start shopping around long term. Not exactly a good model for sustainability. 

Do you really think Royal's suppliers haven't raised their prices???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a goodwill gesture they could keep the things that cost them little.  So, eliminate the champagne and internet.   They obviously had a max number that could be sold, since some cruises sold out before they pulled the offer.  So, the tour/officer's lunch wouldn't be overwhelmed.   Many people were interested just for the internet, so they'd cancel.   We've never done a tour, so would probably keep one package.   

27 minutes ago, Boz575 said:

Customers are not forced to purchase excursions from RC with exception of course to Labadee and Coco Cay. 

So you want us to believe that RC is not experiencing increased operating costs? OK..you can ignore basic economics if you like.

Cruising demand is at a high right now. Inflation + higher demand=higher prices. People got used to low pandemic pricing. 

Let's see now--it's going on the 4th day and as far as I can tell there's been no communications from Royal Management to the individual purchasers.  They are certainly taking their sweet time.  In the meantime, they've getting the cash flow until refunds are credited to those thieving individuals 😁 who are taking advantage of a poor corporation.  Who knows when the refunds will be processed.

Ps.  I wonder if that lawyer (?) from Florida is following this.🤣

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Boz575 said:

Not how contracts work. The supplier can’t raise prices if they signed a contract. 

Depends on what is set in the contract.  Contracts are often written with price fluctuations based on a market index or some other metric.

Do you know what is in the contracts that RCL has with various suppliers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, day-day said:

Depends on what is set in the contract.  Contracts are often written with price fluctuations based on a market index or some other metric.

Do you know what is in the contracts that RCL has with various suppliers?

Not a clue what is in their contract and you are right, some contracts allow for price adjustments. But I’d find it hard to believe RC supplier contracts allow for adjustment. Based on sheer volume, RC could go to another supplier if a contractor pushed terms unfavorable to RC. 

1 minute ago, Boz575 said:

Not a clue what is in their contract and you are right, some contracts allow for price adjustments. But I’d find it hard to believe RC supplier contracts allow for adjustment. Based on sheer volume, RC could go to another supplier if a contractor pushed terms unfavorable to RC. 

so which one is it? ALL supplier contracts are iron clad or they have clauses in them to allow for passing along increased costs? Cant have it both ways. The fact is that you have no idea whats in their contracts so you can state with certainty that part of RCs raise in prices is not only increased demand but higher cost of goods as well. AND with higher demand, staffing has to be increased which leads to higher labor cost but demand also could signal labor shortage and force RC to cutback in some areas because they cannot hire enough labor. 

Not everything is a "cash grab". It always comes back to basic economics and what the market/customers will bear when it comes to a product/service

1 minute ago, UNCFanatik said:

so which one is it? ALL supplier contracts are iron clad or they have clauses in them to allow for passing along increased costs? Cant have it both ways. The fact is that you have no idea whats in their contracts so you can state with certainty that part of RCs raise in prices is not only increased demand but higher cost of goods as well. AND with higher demand, staffing has to be increased which leads to higher labor cost but demand also could signal labor shortage and force RC to cutback in some areas because they cannot hire enough labor. 

Not everything is a "cash grab". It always comes back to basic economics and what the market/customers will bear when it comes to a product/service

Fact is, I stated I don’t know what is in their contract  My point was sure you can allow for fluctuations but based on the volume of supplies they purchase, they are likely to use a firm fixed price model. As for cash grab, maybe  RC should be fully transparent and let folks browse the cruise planner prior to booking. Lets see how that supply and demand shakes out once people can see what add ons will cost them above the fare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boz575 said:

Not how contracts work. The supplier can’t raise prices if they signed a contract. 

Totally wrong - almost every contract has a mechanism to increase prices and / or for the buyer to get a lower price.  I spent most of my career negotiating B2B contracts and rarely are there fixed price contracts.  Don't forget, Royals vendors also have to buy either product or materials from someone else, and the vendors' cost is also increasing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seville2Cabo said:

Totally wrong - almost every contract has a mechanism to increase prices and / or for the buyer to get a lower price.  I spent most of my career negotiating B2B contracts and rarely are there fixed price contracts.  Don't forget, Royals vendors also have to buy either product or materials from someone else, and the vendors' cost is also increasing. 

Me too. My company is so large, they dictate the T&Cs and rarely stray from FFP model. The money spent is so large, LPTA is the way to go. But I dont pretend to know what RC contracts say. 

2 hours ago, melbur said:

But it doesn’t just affect experienced cruisers on this board. It also affects lots of less experienced cruisers who will have just come across it on their cruise planner and purchased in good faith.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 1:27 PM, smokeybandit said:

I don't see a Packages category, but I was able to find it.

It's $88.99 per person, not per couple, but still, a heck of a deal. At least on paper.

Where did you find it?  I don't have a "Packages" category, either.