Princess ships for 2024-2025

Interesting. I would have expected it to be stern loading as having opening doors in the bow is a bit riskier than stern ones especially given the ship was crossing Bass Strait. I'm fairly certainly the NZ Cook Strait ferries are stern loading, as are the Kangaroo Island ones. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ondine said:

As for Station Pier it is only Princess who have so far got a short season for 24/25.  Disney and Virgin are here for the whole season and are booked again for the 24/25 season.  P&O doing it usual thing spreading itself between Adelaide, Melb and Auckland.  Plenty of big ships visiting. 

Not just Princess, Cunard have cut their Melbourne season short/totally as well - I'm not sure which. 

I'm fairly sure the port schedule I saw was for early 2025 and most of the ships listed were the smaller lines, mostly luxury, that blow through Australia during our season - Seabourn, Silversea, Azamara, Oceania etc. Plus they would probably have been day visits not embarkations. 

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not just Princess, Cunard have cut their Melbourne season short/totally as well - I'm not sure which. 

I'm fairly sure the port schedule I saw was for early 2025 and most of the ships listed were the smaller lines, mostly luxury, that blow through Australia during our season - Seabourn, Silversea, Azamara, Oceania etc. Plus they would probably have been day visits not embarkations. 

Yes sorry I forgot about Cunard.  After the 23/24 season they are no longer homeporting Melbourne.  They will be Sydney based entirely.  Not sure why.

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Lots of photos here including a gallery at the bottom of the page.

https://ferriesoftasmania.com/spirit-of-tasmania-2/

The ramp to access the stern appears to be a metal structure which is articulated and moved as required for car access.

And the cars seem to be lining up for loading on the right hand side of the port entry not the left as I had remembered.

That is a great article.  You are right the cars line up along the right hand side of the pier but then they crossed over between the Spirit terminus and the Cruise ship terminus and went alongside the Spirit to wherever they drive on.  There used to be traffic wardens directing which line of traffic had right of way.  Spirit up the right side then across and cruise passengers up the middle roadway then swing to the left and up and around the end of the pier to come back again to the luggage and passenger drop off place.  All very good when done right.

Sorry I think if the Spirit wasn't loading at the time then cruise passengers would also drive up the right hand side of the pier before crossing over to the left side.  I think we have done both depending upon what timetable Spirit was doing.  Two trips a day or one.

4 hours ago, Ondine said:

Yes sorry I forgot about Cunard.  After the 23/24 season they are no longer homeporting Melbourne.  They will be Sydney based entirely.  Not sure why.

Maybe for the same reason Princess isn't homeporting in Melbourne after a certain date.

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

I can't understand this "new" release of itineraries for P&O  It actually came out last January.  On January 28th I booked a 14 nighter New Zealand - Melb to Melb for 15th Nov 2024 on Pacific Explorer which I was looking forward to.  However on March 30th I received an email that said due to "operational reasons" it would be cancelled and replaced with 4 short cruises.  I am still waiting for the refund of my $2 deposit.

I believe they tacked a few months onto the end of their schedules.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

I can't understand this "new" release of itineraries for P&O  It actually came out last January.  On January 28th I booked a 14 nighter New Zealand - Melb to Melb for 15th Nov 2024 on Pacific Explorer which I was looking forward to.  However on March 30th I received an email that said due to "operational reasons" it would be cancelled and replaced with 4 short cruises.  I am still waiting for the refund of my $2 deposit.

As for Station Pier it is only Princess who have so far got a short season for 24/25.  Disney and Virgin are here for the whole season and are booked again for the 24/25 season.  P&O doing it usual thing spreading itself between Adelaide, Melb and Auckland.  Plenty of big ships visiting.  Not sure what will happen to the Spirit of Tassie part but they have the whole 7 months when we have no visitors to work on it.  I don't know how much of the pier is heritage listed.  Definitely the old gate house area.  If they could sort out the traffic problems the old terminus works well however there is the same sized area now vacant where Spirit used to dock.  Could somehow refurbish this for loading passengers from there.

Cunard has also ditched their Melbourne part season for 24/25.

Even though Virgin & Disney have port bookings for 24/25, I wonder if they will remain if there are any imposed restrictions during the season. At this stage neither line has released their itineraries for that season. Visiting ships need a wharf to berth, but don't need a terminal to process passengers.

However, they are still in a consult & plan stage for any upgrades, and by the time red & green tape are taken care of it could be several years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

'Some heritage' - 🤣.

Nothing we love more in Melbourne than an old timber pier. I'm not even joking. The pier is protected, very protected.

I searched for any evidence on line the last time the redevelopment of Station Pier was being discussed here. There's nothing I can find to suggest anything in the next few years.

I'll add a link to the page for downloading their '2050 Port Development Strategy' which I downloaded and read (not every word tbh) when this was being discussed weeks ago. They are still in the consultation phase re expert opinions, forecasts and community engagement so I cannot believe there would be anything distruptive planned for 2024-2025 at least.

https://www.portofmelbourne.com/facilities-development/port-capacity-enhancement-program/

https://www.portofmelbourne.com/facilities-development/port-development-strategy/

Yes, the Victorian government is facing lots of pier pressure 😁

A bit more light reading - Navigating our Port Futures, The Victorian Commercial Ports Strategy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR7uVpgBjY2znKGkRcV3q_AcizewFO7J/view

Edited by arxcards
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Yes, the Victorian government is facing lots of pier pressure 😁

A bit more light reading - Navigating our Port Futures, The Victorian Commercial Ports Strategy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR7uVpgBjY2znKGkRcV3q_AcizewFO7J/view

Thanks but I consulted that document the last time this was a hot topic here. As enjoyable a read as it was, I don't think it needs me to revisit it.

As far as changes to the turnaround ports of cruise lines, who knows what deals state governments do with cruise companies to sweeten the prospect of docking there. 🤷‍♀️

32 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks but I consulted that document the last time this was a hot topic here. As enjoyable a read as it was, I don't think it needs me to revisit it.

As far as changes to the turnaround ports of cruise lines, who knows what deals state governments do with cruise companies to sweeten the prospect of docking there. 🤷‍♀️

No government junkets to attract ships. Their tourism departments will market each port as a worthwhile destination for them to call at. Then they tax the life out of them, and hit them with significant charges for pilotage and mooring. All they need do to attract ships is provide an efficient terminal and a population of passengers willing to cruise there. For visiting ships, they just need to be a place of interest and provide a great day in port for the visiting passengers. I would reckon Melbourne has those boxes ticked, so if it isn't a port restriction, something has upset the cruise lines.

Not sure what the problem is.  I wonder if by selling off some of the smaller ships the companies now have to rethink what they are doing.  Looks like Princess were waiting for Japan/Asia to reopen and now they are going to use Diamond for both Japan and Aus.  First cruise for Diamond out of Melbourne is September 2024 which is early in the season for us.  I'm already booked needless to say.

They have provisional bookings in place for 2025/26 for a full season in Melbourne but we know that this can change.  I can't see how Virgin will succeed in Melbourne because it seems a strange choice (although they are offering Air Credits at the moment) and as for Disney well that is a niche corner of the market (and expensive).

They are also home porting some new ports in the USA for the first time so this could affect ship availability.

I am at a loss to know why we seem to be out of favour.  There had been no trouble filling ships from Melbourne last season.  Here in Melbourne the COVID problem seemed to be handled very well with the authorities getting positives off the ships.  Bit of bother on the first trip but after that they seemed to have it down pat.

I do remember several years ago when Daniel Andrews suggested that we build a cruise ship berth out in Port Philip Bay rather than update Port Melbourne.  Not sure how passengers would get onboard in a timely manner.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Not sure what the problem is.  I wonder if by selling off some of the smaller ships the companies now have to rethink what they are doing.  Looks like Princess were waiting for Japan/Asia to reopen and now they are going to use Diamond for both Japan and Aus.  First cruise for Diamond out of Melbourne is September 2024 which is early in the season for us.  I'm already booked needless to say.

They have provisional bookings in place for 2025/26 for a full season in Melbourne but we know that this can change.  I can't see how Virgin will succeed in Melbourne because it seems a strange choice (although they are offering Air Credits at the moment) and as for Disney well that is a niche corner of the market (and expensive).

They are also home porting some new ports in the USA for the first time so this could affect ship availability.

I am at a loss to know why we seem to be out of favour.  There had been no trouble filling ships from Melbourne last season.  Here in Melbourne the COVID problem seemed to be handled very well with the authorities getting positives off the ships.  Bit of bother on the first trip but after that they seemed to have it down pat.

I do remember several years ago when Daniel Andrews suggested that we build a cruise ship berth out in Port Philip Bay rather than update Port Melbourne.  Not sure how passengers would get onboard in a timely manner.

Diamond moves up to Brisbane in early December 2024. 

It has to have something to do with the availability of Station Pier to do embarkations from December 3024 onwards.  I don't think it's because Melbourne is out of favour. Whatever is going to be happening there probably puts the terminal building out of action so embarkations and disembarkations can't be handled. Day stops are probably still possible as there is no need for a terminal for those.

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I think that was Robert Doyle who suggested a man made island in the Bay.   I agree, it did not sound like a good idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2022cruisey said:

Maybe Melbourne doesn’t provide incentives to ships or has high port charges.   

No Australian port provides incentives to the cruise lines.

All Australian ports have relatively high port charges.

The cruise lines all pass the port charges onto their passengers, included in the fare (they show as an itemised part of your fare when you look at the breakdown).

When you divide the port charges over 2 or 3 thousand passengers, it makes little difference from port to port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 3:59 PM, wintrev said:

Hello Arxcards

May I please ask where you got your information from about the Coral. I am asking because I am booked on that cruise from Singapore on the 18th October and was shocked to read it. I contacted Princess and of course have been told that there is nothing on the communication sheets to say that it is being cancelled. I did ask what is the ship doing between Perth and LA as no cruise is listed so does that mean it is sailing empty? The reply was “ I can not advise you on this”. Even asked who I could escalate this issue to and was politely told it could not happen. Explained that I didn’t want to spend money on airfares and hotel accomodation, as we were going to spend a week there beforehand, to find out that it has been cancelled. The rep even said that they could move another ship into the spot but with all the itineraries released can’t see how that can happen. Any information will be helpful in deciding whether to cancel and just fly both ways to still enjoy Singapore. Thanks.

Hello again Arxcards - well you will be thrilled to know that Princess lied outright to me. I just checked the roll call for the October 18 cruise from Singapore to Perth to discover that it has been cancelled!!!!! It is still showing on the website however. The poster said that they have been offered the same cruise from Singapore on September 26th - so that means the Coral is not going into dry dock there. The plot thickens. Luckily we transferred to the 15th September cruise from Perth but have already lost one port making it an 11 day cruise. Who knows now if even that one will go ahead. Wish they would be more truthful!

1 hour ago, wintrev said:

Hello again Arxcards - well you will be thrilled to know that Princess lied outright to me. I just checked the roll call for the October 18 cruise from Singapore to Perth to discover that it has been cancelled!!!!! It is still showing on the website however. The poster said that they have been offered the same cruise from Singapore on September 26th - so that means the Coral is not going into dry dock there. The plot thickens. Luckily we transferred to the 15th September cruise from Perth but have already lost one port making it an 11 day cruise. Who knows now if even that one will go ahead. Wish they would be more truthful!

Yep, I can confirm this.  I received the cancellation notification for this cruise today, followed shortly afterwards by the Princes rep trying to flog-off the trip to Singapore instead.  Not at all interested in the trip just before a dry dock.

Not sure yet what they are doing with the ship, but looks as though it isn't coming back to AUS as originally planned.

11 hours ago, wintrev said:

I am sorry to hear that. It sucks. No, not thrilled or even vindicated, but that itinerary looked vulnerable from the time they chose to relocate Coral back to the US. Just part of their craft where they announce the ships that are arriving, but don't mention which ones are departing.

As a company it would be nicer if they were upfront. You can't blame those on the other end of the phone though, as they really wouldn't know until they see the changes on the screen in front of them. Sadly, when you go to Princess, your cancelled Oct 18th cruise is still available for booking. That should shake out over the next couple of days along with the replacement itineraries. She will really need a drydock by then.

11 hours ago, sir-magoo said:

Yep, I can confirm this.  I received the cancellation notification for this cruise today, followed shortly afterwards by the Princes rep trying to flog-off the trip to Singapore instead.  Not at all interested in the trip just before a dry dock.

Not sure yet what they are doing with the ship, but looks as though it isn't coming back to AUS as originally planned.

It wasn't all bad news to go with the September alternative.  It is $400 cheaper than what I paid for the October one, but OK one day less.   I was offered $100 each (which was upped to $150 each by the PVP) to book the alternative.   I didn't take the offer, but I am still in shopping mode.   I have a p&o cruise coming up.   Depending whether we like p&o, the Mutiny on the Bounty cruise is looking OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

It wasn't all bad news to go with the September alternative.  It is $400 cheaper than what I paid for the October one, but OK one day less.   I was offered $100 each (which was upped to $150 each by the PVP) to book the alternative.   I didn't take the offer, but I am still in shopping mode.   I have a p&o cruise coming up.   Depending whether we like p&o, the Mutiny on the Bounty cruise is looking OK.

interested to hear of your review of P&O.  Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I wanted to cruise on Disney, but Pete said no. It was for kids and did I want to be around all those kids. . . 

There must be lots of adults on board who are big Disney fans and travel without kids. If you're into the characters it could be really fun.

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

I'm less and less interested in flying to join a cruise at another Australian port than my own home port so I'm going to start booking with whoever will sail from Melbourne. I plan to book Virgin for December this year for exactly that reason (and it looks like it could be good fun).

That 2025-2026 looks a bit light-on so far. No Cunard at all. No Virgin.

• Like 1