Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

35 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

my 120# 12 yo was NOT hungry after eating about 1/2 of any MDR dish on Oasis last month. By the way, he was 55# at 6 yo, so that tells you he is not a lightweight by any means.

I am an obese glutton and even I didn't think the portions were all that small. They were normal. Like what a normal person eats during a meal. Add to that an appetizer and a dessert and pretty much anyone would be full by then.

4 oz of meat is considered ONE serving of meat in the US.

To everyone else who is curious, I posted photos of pretty much all the food items we had at MDR during our April Oasis sailing. Not once did we walk out hungry, even if we ordered only one entree each.

Ok, I found your review in your signature and read it. The pictures are very helpful! The tenderloin entree you posted was much larger than what we received. The meat slices are considerably thicker and it appears that you have a full scoop of mashed potatoes there. I would also comment that a double order of shrimp is not what we received - and the single order was small. I would say the risotto in your picture was representative of the quantity of food we received - consistently small portions.

I also agree with your description that the Indian dishes are designed for people who don't eat Indian food. They were, imo, quite bland and the rice was poorly prepared. I've had good quality Indian food on other lines in the past so this surprised me. It's possible that my standards are too high on this matter  as we eat quality Indian food on land (although we aren't of Indian descent).

I agreed with your perspective on the desserts - they were generally excellent and were by far the highlight of the food in my opinion.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We had food with good temps on recent Enchantment cruise.

Maybe it is also subjective?

Also I think quality of food... and temperatures could be specific to the ship.

I'm gonna have to call Royal Caribbean Cheerleader bs on this.

Come on, food temp is not subjective.

Why is it so hard to except the food has gone downhill?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

"Bottom line they sail full" tells you nothing. More than 50% of new bookings are first time cruisers. They have no way of knowing what they are in for. Most don't read or watch reviews. The one's that do are usually at the very least non refundable deposit paid before investigating much of anything. 

Yeah, the fact I didn't cancel my cruise when I found out about these changes after my final payment was made and my flights were booked for my first RCL cruise shouldn't indicate customer satisfaction to anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I'm gonna have to call Royal Caribbean Cheerleader bs on this.

Come on, food temp is not subjective.

Why is it so hard to except the food has gone downhill?

You can call me whatever you want, although you seem to have an agenda here, but in my opinion it was a good temp. No different than in any other 10 cruises in last several years or on ones before.

29 minutes ago, Tatka said:

You can call me whatever you want, although you seem to have an agenda here, but in my opinion it was a good temp. No different than in any other 10 cruises in last several years or on ones before.

No. I'm not the one with an agenda. Half the reviews and video reviews with bad sad looking food in them in living color are negative. That's more in just sheer volume than a random coincidence. It's obviously an ongoing problem. Why is that hard to except..

Edited by BennyandBo

We were on the Serenade a few weeks ago. For the most part, we were pleased with the food in the MDR. Some of the steaks did not look the best, but the flavor was still good and they could serve more than 2 asparagus spears.

There were a few times it seemed we were waiting, but every night we were out in under an hour.

Our servers were wonderful. Hope our next trip will be similar. We will see.....

4 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

No. I'm not the one with an agenda. Half the reviews and video reviews with bad sad looking food in them in living color are negative. That's more in just sheer volume than a random coincidence. It's obviously an ongoing problem. Why is that hard to expect.

Please do not have any hope. Go with this expectation.

It is almost feels like you will be upset if you get different result. 🙂

You will still repeat that you cannot believe your own eyes and mouth because you read (watched) bad reviews.

Btw if you see my signature you should realize that we do not have any issues switching lines at any times.

Edited by Tatka

54 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

"Bottom line they sail full" tells you nothing. More than 50% of new bookings are first time cruisers. They have no way of knowing what they are in for. Most don't read or watch reviews. The one's that do are usually at the very least non refundable deposit paid before investigating much of anything. 

Please share with us your source concerning the more than 50% are new bookings?  I don't dispute your data, but curious of the source.

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Please do not have any hope. Go with this expectation.

It is almost feels like you will be upset if you get different result. 🙂

You will still repeat that you cannot believe your own eyes and mouth because you read (watched) bad reviews.

I'm really trying on the hope front. Even more so working on ideas. Like I believe food in hot dish pans in the WJ are more likely to be hot. And I'm OK with that more often than the MDR. Many wouldn't be as flexible as me on that. I actually like the WindJammer even in evenings. So I'm OK with making some plan B stuff.

The only thing that bothers me is Royals endless cut backs have put me in that kinda situation in the first place. The cut backs and quality problems are real, I have no doubt. They put the damper out there, not me. But I'm willing to work at where and what I eat to pull it out of the fire and make the most out of things. 

7 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I'm really trying on the hope front. Even more so working on ideas. Like I believe food in hot dish pans in the WJ are more likely to be hot. And I'm OK with that more often than the MDR. Many wouldn't be as flexible as me on that. I actually like the WindJammer even in evenings. So I'm OK with making some plan B stuff.

The only thing that bothers me is Royals endless cut backs have put me in that kinda situation in the first place. The cut backs and quality problems are real, I have no doubt. They put the damper out there, not me. But I'm willing to work at where and what I eat to pull it out of the fire and make the most out of things. 

It is an industry cut backs. I'd say not only cruise industry, but overall hospitality.

You of course know reasons for that.

In our observations Royal improved greatly from 2000-x to 2010x. And we all know what happened in 2020. Right? But even losing money up to the last quarters of 2022 Royal tried really hard not to change things. No company will suddenly try to upset its customers for no reasons. Especially when competition is that fierce.

As I watched Royal (and other companies) through tougher and better times I hope they and other lines will be able to correct issues. For now I am happy they survived. Btw while cruises were on hold in 2020 and 2021 we did what we have not done for 18 years... Went to good all inclusives. As much as it was a breath of fresh air, it was evident that they also experienced issues.

Edited by Tatka

13 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Please share with us your source concerning the more than 50% are new bookings?  I don't dispute your data, but curious of the source.

Multiple publications have had articles on that fact. Honestly, which I've read would require research. But at least a half a dozen in the past two months. Probably more. Many were travel industry specific. And one was a blog. RCblog I think?

I say this as someone not going until Feb (so hopefully the problems are ironed out by then)   

Maybe people that drive could bring one of those quick-read food thermometers?   I'll do that if it is still a problem by then.  

That review was quite damning.  They are people that sent dishes back so many times they just ate the food cold.  Soup and sauce separated from sitting around so long?  Dang.   

Complained to guest services and were offered a bunch of free stuff, but just asked for food to be warm, and still was served cold.   That is a sign that management on this ship (or maybe higher) really doesn't give a crap.  How hard would it have been to pass the word to "Make sure Table 135 on late dining dining has food at the right temp."  

ETA: I just noticed this in the reviews comments 
"I’d be tempted to invest in a food thermometer to drop the hint how cold the food is"

Edited by HappyTexan44

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is an industry cut backs. I'd say not only cruise industry, but overall hospitality.

You of course know reasons for that.

In our observations Royal improved greatly from 2000-x to 2010x. And we all know what happened in 2020. Right? But even losing money up to the last quarters of 2022 Royal tried really hard not to change things. No company will suddenly try to upset its customers for no reasons. Especially when competition is that fierce.

I'm more OK with doubling prices, than with cut backs.

On land it's different. You have options. Your not stuck after night one, for six more nights of the same issues. 

I noticed last week. Red Robin prices went up but burger and fries size and quality stayed the same.

Outback steakhouse prices up but food was so small I left hungry. First time I didn't need a container for leftovers. So they are now off the list.

Charge me what you need to, but then give me the same amount and quality as before. Literally half are managing it, half are not. But on land your not committed to a week of it pre paid in advance. That's just how I see it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I say this as someone not going until Feb (so hopefully the problems are ironed out by then)   

Maybe people that drive could bring one of those quick-read food thermometers?   I'll do that if it is still a problem by then.  

That review was quite damning.  They are people that sent dishes back so many times they just ate the food cold.  Soup and sauce separated from sitting around so long?  Dang.   

Complained to guest services and were offered a bunch of free stuff, but just asked for food to be warm, and still was served cold.   That is a sign that management on this ship (or maybe higher) really doesn't give a crap.  How hard would it have been to pass the word to "Make sure Table 135 on late dining dining has food at the right temp."  

ETA: I just noticed this in the reviews comments 
"I’d be tempted to invest in a food thermometer to drop the hint how cold the food is"

If I can get one on board I'll do it. I always wanted to make a travel video and just got a cheap go pro type mini camera. I won't show my face. Nobody needs to see my sagging everything. LOL.

And yes, the video really was brutal. Not there M. O. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I'm more OK with doubling prices, than with cut backs.

On land it's different. You have options. Your not stuck after night one, for six more nights of the same issues. 

I noticed last week. Red Robin prices went up but burger and fries size and quality stayed the same.

Outback steakhouse prices up but food was so small I left hungry. First time I didn't need a container for leftovers. So they are now off the list.

Charge me what you need to, but then give me the same amount and quality as before. Literally half are managing it, half are not. But on land your not committed to a week of it pre paid in advance. That's just how I see it. 

If you are OK with doubling prices maybe you need to look at premium or even luxury lines?

To expect that massmarket line can easily double prices for majority of cruises is just not reasonable.

If you are OK with it, try Celebrity. They also have some cutbacks, but overall they offer better food as they focus more on it than on lets say entertainment. Also maybe Holland America. Princess was also usually better in food department than Royal.

On land in All inclusives you also have limits, but hey, if they work better for you why not?

We look for all components including geography/ship design, and Royal is the best for us now overall,

Edited by Tatka

11 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Thanks. Well, since I’m new to Royal I won’t be comparing it to what has been before.  Only reason I particularly reacted to the YT reviewers was I have watched them before and they are not generally negative, and really love Royal.

Exactly! And they stopped sending food back. No one asked why they didn’t eat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Exactly! And they stopped sending food back. No one asked why they didn’t eat.

You can still send food back. If portion is not enough you can ask for the second entry. Any entry except for free lobster.

We actually ordered two entries on several occasions in March.

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

You can still send food back. If portion is not enough you can ask for the second entry. Any entry except for free lobster.

Duh! But like the guys in the video, if I sent cold food back several times with no improvement I would give up. Unlike them I would eat elsewhere and give up on MDR.

2 hours ago, Bizaro86 said:

Glad you were pleased. I think it's possible different ships/sailings are implementing in a different way - can you link to the photos you took? I'd be curious to see whether it was different than what we had. 

it's in my signature - just click on Oasis. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's in my signature - just click on Oasis. 🙂

Thanks! I realized that later and read through it/commented. The photos are super helpful for making comparisons - thanks for taking them!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Duh! But like the guys in the video, if I sent cold food back several times with no improvement I would give up. Unlike them I would eat elsewhere and give up on MDR.

This is a problem. Just because you are watching almost professional video you think it is somehow an absolute standard. It is not. And this is aside from the facts that 2-5-10 years ago quality of service on various ships of the same company (in this case RCI) highly dependent on particular stuff,

Even food variety in buffet depended on the ship.

19 hours ago, nelblu said:

Don’t know about you but we eat it hot out of the oven. All of the flavors are bubbling up.   Do you eat baked macaroni the next day also 😜

It refrigerates overnight, then it's baked and served the next day.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tatka said:

The point in the video was they sent everything back. I think they even said something like 7 times one meal. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th no better. By mid cruise (12 night Trans Atlantic) they gave up. There was just no point because it never made a difference.

• Like 2

Just now, BennyandBo said:

The point in the video was they sent everything back. I think they even said something like 7 times one meal. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th no better. By mid cruise (12 night Trans Atlantic) they gave up. There was just no point because it never made a difference.

And in our case the very first time it made a difference. Meat was not medium well as my husband likes. Of course we did  not film it.

By the way I a have conspiracy theory. Yes.. from watching this video someone will change cruise line, however due to the other things which make RCI almost unique or unique people will just book additional restaurants more often. Who do you think will benefit from this?

• Thanks 1