Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

We found mashed, baked & rice on the menu with various dishes every night and had no problem asking for one to be subbed for another.  As I think I said earlier, the only request they could not/would not accommodate was something from a previous day’s menu.  If it was on that night’s menu, we could mix & match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

If it was on that night’s menu, we could mix & match.

That is good news.  Particularly since the only reason for them to NOT allow that is if all food for that dining window were already plated before you ordered.  

2 hours ago, poocher said:

We found mashed, baked & rice on the menu with various dishes every night and had no problem asking for one to be subbed for another.  As I think I said earlier, the only request they could not/would not accommodate was something from a previous day’s menu.  If it was on that night’s menu, we could mix & match.

Different ship? It's all about the staff.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, poocher said:

It is not my intention to label anyone, merely an observation that people, in general, are more apt to post complaints than complements.  I find this to be true of all kinds of reviews not just cruises and not just Cruise Critics.  

I think I learned that in Psychology 101 back at MIZZOU in 1983

• Like 2

Remember:  if you want larger portions, order a DOUBLE portion on the same plate, NOT two separates.

Also, I just confirmed from a facebook post I saw, and with a friend on a ship at that time last week, the fruit and cheese platter has been added back into the nightly selections in the dessert menu.  I always ask for it as an appetizer, and nibble between courses.

Also, if I cannot find a main entrée that I like, I'll tell the waiter and order multiple appetizers as my entire dinner.  I tell him to bring them to me in any sequence he wants. 

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisefoodie1946 said:

I just some of the new menus of Carnival, an all I can  say is Wow, much, much better and creative than Royal

I've been looking at the new menus on Carnival, too.  If they turn out to be consistently well prepared then they will be addressing an ongoing Carnival complaint.  Will Royal up their game to match them or decide to keep on the same track they are on now? Time will tell.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, poocher said:

Except if you look at the menus, baked, mashed & fries are there with some entree almost every night.  My interpretation of “no substitutes” means nothing that isn’t anywhere on the menu.

Maybe a dumb question but will RC let you get a double serving of mashed potatoes instead of mashed potatoes and asparagus (for example) in the MDR. Or if you don’t like blue cheese dressing, can you get another type?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmc2873 said:

Maybe a dumb question but will RC let you get a double serving of mashed potatoes instead of mashed potatoes and asparagus (for example) in the MDR. Or if you don’t like blue cheese dressing, can you get another type?

You can have as many servings of anything you want.  Have a plate full of mashed, have two!  Dressing are another matter.  If the salads are already dressed, not much you can do.  If not, I would think the “if it’s on that nights menu” rule would apply.  But I never tried to get a different dressing so have no first hand experience.

9 hours ago, poocher said:

You can have as many servings of anything you want.  Have a plate full of mashed, have two!  Dressing are another matter.  If the salads are already dressed, not much you can do.  If not, I would think the “if it’s on that nights menu” rule would apply.  But I never tried to get a different dressing so have no first hand experience.

Although they could not provide just a garden salad on day when not on menu, instead caesar salad without caesar dressing, thousand island was provided on side. I would hope that they could at least still comply with that type of request. They are looking to make their life easier not ours anymore.

• Like 2

I'm sorry I didn't read all 24 pages, but I'm hoping someone can tell me.....are there still savory bites?  I really like those little triangle breads each evening.  Thanks!

I was glad to see there's still an option to order the Chops upgraded filet in the MDR.  We haven't cruise in quite a few years. 

2 hours ago, Avista13 said:

Is it possible to get Low Salt items.  RC food often so salty and sends my BP up.

I recently started a thread on this.   I'd worried the no substitutions rule with the new menu would cause a problem.  But, people responded that it was fine.  You'll want to tell them ahead of time with the Special Needs form. People said that you'd order for the next day so that they can prepare your meal.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently on a cruise and 2 of my family members have food allergies which include no dairy and no salt or spices that are hot. We have always been told when we come onboard to go to the dining room and they will figure out what to do for that first evening and then so far at the end of each meal they got the menu for the next day and discussed what could be done. For breakfast in the WJ there is an omelet station where they can use fresh eggs and no salt cooking spray to make them scrambled or an omelet with some vegetables. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:26 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

That is good news.  Particularly since the only reason for them to NOT allow that is if all food for that dining window were already plated before you ordered.  

Sometimes I wonder if part of the reason for the reported decline in quality is that meals are pre-plated to satisfy the people who complain that "dinner took 40 minutes for three courses; that's way too long!" Perhaps the drive-through crowd has messed things up for those of us who enjoy a leisurely dinner.

• Like 4