Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

56 minutes ago, little britain said:

The planning of the menus is not consistent… there is Mediterranean night where 2 of the courses have capers in .. and if you don’t like capers 🤢 that limits the menu even further.

The curries are generally good but they must learn to serve mango chutney with curries…

I'm with you. I absolutely hate capers.

As for the curries, when we were on Anthem to the Canaries back in September they were serving mango chutney with them but when we were on recently from NJ they weren't. I was disappointed.

20 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm with you. I absolutely hate capers.

As for the curries, when we were on Anthem to the Canaries back in September they were serving mango chutney with them but when we were on recently from NJ they weren't. I was disappointed.

They had mango chutney in the WJ but not in the dining room… next time I’m going via the WJ to get a little bowl! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

They had mango chutney in the WJ but not in the dining room… next time I’m going via the WJ to get a little bowl! 

Oooh, good thinking. I might just pinch that idea from you. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Looking at the app for a cruise this week.  There are some changes on the menus — positives in my opinion.  Hopefully Royal has gotten the message that more than a few are not happy with the new menus.

What changes have you noticed ?

Curious to see if they are as you suggest beginning to "tweak" the new menus in response to feedback.

I know grilled chicken breast reappeared on every menu at some point (as an on request beneath whatever other chicken dish was on that night).

17 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Curious to see if they are as you suggest beginning to "tweak" the new menus in response to feedback.

I know grilled chicken breast reappeared on every menu at some point (as an on request beneath whatever other chicken dish was on that night).

I would have to go back to check specifically.  I think the Mexican night is gone,  variety night has been added, a few different salmon options, lobster Mac and cheese one night, chicken parmigiana can be had without the breading.  Again, some changes that suggest to me that Royal is listening to guest surveys about MDR food.  I sail again in August and will check it out.  But definitely some changes to the “new” menus.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I would have to go back to check specifically.  I think the Mexican night is gone,  variety night has been added, a few different salmon options, lobster Mac and cheese one night, chicken parmigiana can be had without the breading.  Again, some changes that suggest to me that Royal is listening to guest surveys about MDR food.  I sail again in August and will check it out.  But definitely some changes to the “new” menus.  

Good to know!

I always thought the new menus had promise , but need to be executed well and need more of the "always available " items each night for those who like plainer food.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I'm not sure the Mexican night is "gone gone". When I was on Anthem at the end of April, they said at Captain's Corner that there were several different menu rotations depending on where a ship is sailing. It would make sense to me that the Mexican night still exists on itineraries that go to Mexico but not so much on European or Alaskan cruises, for example.

But I do agree with you that the tweaks seem to indicate at least some kind of attention is being paid by Royal to customers' feedback.

21 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm not sure the Mexican night is "gone gone". When I was on Anthem at the end of April, they said at Captain's Corner that there were several different menu rotations depending on where a ship is sailing. It would make sense to me that the Mexican night still exists on itineraries that go to Mexico but not so much on European or Alaskan cruises, for example.

But I do agree with you that the tweaks seem to indicate at least some kind of attention is being paid by Royal to customers' feedback.

Thanks.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Just disembarked Jewel yesterday. We had Mexican night and the food was very good, loved the Poblano Pepper soup and Carne Asada, Salmon was also very good. Did not care for the desserts.

3 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Grilled chicken tastes like rubber banquet chicken.  Inedible.  DH had the pork enchiladas, very little filling and nowhere near enough sauce.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:49 PM, Jasukkie said:

... I had no problem subbing a baked potato instead of rice one night. The tables around us were served multiple apps and entrees and it was impressive how quickly they brought out each plate ...

This is good news.  

On 5/30/2023 at 2:22 PM, marci22 said:

... I got the wedge salad one night and it was pretty lame, as was the Caesar salad ...

Let's tell the truth:  Slicing a head of iceberg into wedges and calling it salad is pretty lame anywhere.  

I had the Caesar salad recently and was disappointed; it was clearly out of a bag and kinda old.  I eat out-of-the-bag at home on a regular basis (but never old), but I expect more on a cruise.  

On 6/3/2023 at 12:32 PM, hammer52 said:

...  they got a table spoon of stuffing!. We all said, you got to be kidding is there a shortage of stuffing?

Stuffing is stale bread!  It's essentially free.  

On 6/3/2023 at 4:32 AM, cruiseboy89130 said:

They are not that great - but since most desserts are very weak they stand out as not so Bad!

In all honesty, dessert has never been Royal's specialty.  

4 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

... I know grilled chicken breast reappeared on every menu at some point (as an on request beneath whatever other chicken dish was on that night).

This makes sense: 

1.  Grilled chicken breast is easy 

2.  Grilled chicken breast is economical 

3.  Practically everyone likes grilled chicken breast 

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

... lobster Mac and cheese one night ... 

How's the Lobster Mac?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Let's tell the truth:  Slicing a head of iceberg into wedges and calling it salad is pretty lame anywhere.  

I had the Caesar salad recently and was disappointed; it was clearly out of a bag and kinda old.  I eat out-of-the-bag at home on a regular basis (but never old), but I expect more on a cruise.  

Hey Mum, I've had a lot of good wedge salads and this was super-lame. Had maybe a teaspoon of bland ranch, 5 microbits of tomato and a little bacon dust. Husband got the caesar and I agree, seemed limp and old. Not worth eating. 

Funny that I am tipping these behind-the-scenes people making these awful salads. That is just going to encourage them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This is good news.  

Stuffing is stale bread!  It's essentially free.  

In all honesty, dessert has never been Royal's specialty.  

This makes sense: 

1.  Grilled chicken breast is easy 

2.  Grilled chicken breast is economical 

3.  Practically everyone likes grilled chicken breast 

How's the Lobster Mac?  

Haven’t had it yet but I will soon.  Just know that is new to the MDR menu.

You go into the app and click the little person icon in the top, right as in the first photo, then choose “select a different cruise” as circled in the second photo. Then scroll to the bottom, where it says ”Browse our ships” then click the ship and sailing date that you would like.  Then find the dining venue are interested in and look at the menu.  This works for the bars and MDR as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.82a3502fe22de79bedb517f1b66d78ed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54f1919db17bfc7210ed1e8f10a266ac.jpeg

• Like 1

On liberty as I write day 7 of 9 night. Everything good accept mdr food. This was served as PRIME RIB medium ! Appeared as bottom of shoe well grilled for mountain climbing! Have turned away several meals this trip having never had to do so before. Local diner far superior and they aren’t great  Will not sail Rcl again until menu changes. Dining staff service excellent just apologetic  said Miami dictates menu for all ships now and must be same  , same what c..p  IMG_8443.thumb.png.0d900c40d92774747b5e5c95cbddac8e.png

• Like 2