Bliss Panama Canal Trip Review 2/25/23 - 3/12-23

luckybecky

On 3/17/2023 at 5:28 PM, luckybecky said:

Friday March 10, Cabo San Lucas

Last tender 1pm! We were originally scheduled to be here 7am-3pm. Then as I mentioned, on Wednesday our captain announced that our port time would be shortened by one hour to 2pm. But the last tender today was scheduled for 1pm. So our original port time was shortened to just 6 hours. As you may have noticed, these early all aboard times are a real pet peeve of mine. I probably would have looked for a different cruise if the true ports and port times had been published at the time I booked this cruise. We are having a great time, but we would have liked to have more time in each port. With a back on board time of 1pm, you can’t even have lunch to try the local cuisine.

We had an NCL tour called Luxury Day Sail and Snorkel. It was 45 minutes shorter than advertised due to the early tender time, but otherwise was fabulous! We had 16 people on our sailboat which was plenty large enough for us not to feel overly crowded. However there were only a few seats in the shade in the back of the boat, and we were told we could not sit there. We were in full sun the entire time so just be aware of that if full sun is an issue for you.

Immediately after boarding we were served mimosas, soon followed by an excellent bento box of grilled shrimp, guacamole and more, along with more unlimited alcoholic beverages. We started by going by the iconic Cabo arch and got many beautiful photos.

20230310_090927.thumb.jpg.f2325494bcd5a9f623719a539df86abf.jpg

20230310_092107.thumb.jpg.fbe52bee8c2d41c515827a1507ec23df.jpg

Then we were in for such a treat! We saw multiple whales. Moms and babies. Some of them very close to us. Our captain did a great job of steering us near to whales. You can see how close we were to the whales!

20230310_112701.thumb.jpg.4b57f8afcfae2b4a2678d17e0eb7e31e.jpg

20230310_113937.thumb.jpg.f96c770f01d9127f7327389fb310172e.jpg

We arrived at a snorkeling spot. The water was clear and cold. We had a great swim and saw many colorful fish.

DSCN2097.thumb.JPG.6e1a30ccf3cf6a5f24cf01e94f2e67ee.JPG

DSCN2120.thumb.JPG.bb3a8a10fd469a637d2d829d6b3c865b.JPG

Back on board, we saw several more whales, and enjoyed another bento box of excellent food: pasta salad, ceviche, grilled chicken caesar salad, fruit, chocolates.

20230310_104936.thumb.jpg.d14c6d093fdc2cff0699dc1b5403842d.jpg

This was an excellent day with numerous opportunities to see whales which was such a bonus. They are not here year round, we just got lucky with our timing. I definitely recommend this excursion, but do wish we had gotten the full 4+ hours that we had paid for.

Just curious if anyone has an opinion or experience with this: since our excursion was shortened by almost an hour from the advertised duration, should we have received a partial refund or any type of compensation? 

At any rate, it was a fantastic excusion.

DSCN2102.JPG

We sail next week and did notice the port day times were wayyyyy different than in the past.  For example in Mazatlan we always do the same resort excursion through NCL and found it odd that it wasn't offered.  Likely because the port times are like 7am-2pm ... by the time we get there .... and then they always do lunch ... it's just not worth it/not the same.  I am annoyed/bummed about the port day times, but, we won't let it ruin our trip at all.

As for getting a refund - probably not .... the vendor is still providing the experience (and the yummy food - twice!) so, I personally wouldn't ask ... and I think the effort would be fruitless. 

Sorry ....

Thanks for posting all of this -- been loving your details and photos!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the review! We were on the same sailing and concur with most of it! We had a great trip and wish we were able to visit Costa Rica and had more time in Cabo - we were concerned and stayed on ship due to time reduction in port. We did take the cab to "town" in Puerto Vallarta, but stayed aboard in Acapulco.

• Like 2

@luckybecky  Thank you for the detailed review!  🙂   Particularly, enjoyed the port and food reviews.   Sounds like overall you (and Paul) had a great time.

You even took the time - another thread - *during* your cruise to answer a few questions of mine.  Indeed... so much appreciated!!   I am even more excited for my upcoming - similar journey on the NCL Encore in April - very much in part to you.

• Thanks 1

We did this trip in February 2022 and your review takes me back to what was a fabulous cruise!  We were lucky that we got to stop at Costa Rica where we went to the sloth sanctuary.  It was also only half full at that time, which reading how busy it was for you, I am very glad about!  No queues, no sunbed hogging etc. which is probably why it was my favourite cruise ever! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for your detailed report!  We sail on the Gem March 1-12, 2024, and I was curious what the weather was like for you cruise so we can plan accordingly.  Our trip will be a partial transit, round trip from Miami.  The reason we selected this cruise was for Columbia and Costa Rica.  

We just heard from NCL that they extended our port times in both places, so perhaps someone read your comments and decided to make things better for next season!

Thanks again!  🤗

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this extremely detailed review.

We are on the Bliss in January from LA to Miami and appreciate all you did to help us get acquainted with ship, the ports, the dining venues, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Mike Senior said:

Thank you for your detailed report. Could I ask if NCL wanted any evidence of your Yellow Fever vaccination status when you boarded at Miami?

Kind regards

Mike

It's not required for our identical Bliss cruise next month.

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 2:45 PM, luckybecky said:

We walked to a Publix supermarket about half a mile away to get some wine for our room that evening and a couple of bottles to take on board

Did you pay a corkage fee for the bottles you brought on board?

32 minutes ago, OceanDreaming2 said:

If you have a beverage package you do not pay a corkage fee. If you don’t have a package it is $15 per bottle 

Straight from NCL.com:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

Wine & Champagne Policy
Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD
1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OceanDreaming2 said:

No. We brought the wine to consume on our balcony so didn't take it to any restaurant or other venue. And we had the drink package. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:36 PM, luckybecky said:

No. We brought the wine to consume on our balcony so didn't take it to any restaurant or other venue. And we had the drink package. 

Thank you.  We don't drink much and can't justify the $600+ charge for taxes and gratuities on the package.