San Francisco embarkation area?

Clampram

35 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I then searched just for Ruby Princess and found that there is a hole in its schedule from toward the end of the year into early 2024.  I wonder if the Ruby will be going into dry dock for a major refit during that time?

Ruby Princess will be based in Fort Lauderdale doing partial transit Panama Canal cruises during this time.  

Crown Princess will take over the Ruby Princess as the ship Princess homeports in San Francisco from mid-October 2023 into Summer 2024.

12 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Ruby Princess will be based in Fort Lauderdale doing partial transit Panama Canal cruises during this time.  

Crown Princess will take over the Ruby Princess as the ship Princess homeports in San Francisco from mid-October 2023 into Summer 2024.

The partial transits of the Panama Canal are not listed for the time frame end December 2023 to early March 2024 in the princess.com schedule for the Ruby Princess. I searched by Ruby Princess with sorting by date. I also searched with Ft Lauderdale in the filter with same result.

Edited by brisalta

8 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The partial transits of the Panama Canal are not listed for the time frame mid-December 2023 to early March 2024 in the princess.com schedule for the Ruby Princess. I searched by Ruby Princess with sorting by date.

Ruby Princess has partial transit Panama Canal cruises from mid-November 2023 to end of February 2024.  See below for partial listing.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Ruby Princess has partial transit Panama Canal cruises from mid-November 2023 to end of February 2024.  See below for partial listing.

image.jpeg

For some reason the scroll bars were not displaying.  When I searched again, after your last response to me, the scroll bars showed up.  I really wish Princess.com offered a calendar view of the cruises offered.

Any how the Port of San Francisco still needs to correct its cruise schedule. I am tempted to email cruise@sfport.com. and ask them when they are going to correct the published schedule.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

It seems you are correct. Just now I searched at princess.com for cruises originating from San Francisco and sorted by date. The result is that only the Crown Princess is currently scheduled to embark in San Francisco after the Ruby departs for the Panama Canal.

One could email the Port O f San Francisco and ask when they are going to update the published schedule.

I then searched just for Ruby Princess and found that there is a hole in its schedule from toward the end of the year into early 2024.  I wonder if the Ruby will be going into dry dock for a major refit during that time?

The Ruby will be going to Ft. Lauderdale after the Alaska season and will be home ported there until the 2024 Alaska season when it will be home ported in Vancouver..  The Crown will be home ported in San Francisco after the 2023 Alaska season.

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

And half price for 65 years old and up.

Sometimes it's better to pay more. My wife's knees are not the greatest and my knees are trying to emulate hers.

I estimate it would be about $10 for us to go from Castro Valley to the pier.  But, that involves getting a ride to BART, travelling on BART (and hoping the bums are not there and the train is on time), transferring to the F line and, finally, walking to the pier.  

While Lyft or Uber will cost about 5 times as much, the convenience of not having to do all the transferring is worth it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, damiross said:

Sometimes it's better to pay more. My wife's knees are not the greatest and my knees are trying to emulate hers.

I estimate it would be about $10 for us to go from Castro Valley to the pier.  But, that involves getting a ride to BART, travelling on BART (and hoping the bums are not there and the train is on time), transferring to the F line and, finally, walking to the pier.  

While Lyft or Uber will cost about 5 times as much, the convenience of not having to do all the transferring is worth it.

If you could manage BART, remember their are elevators at the stations you could get a ride from there, 

Just a thought.😀😀😀

Good luck at whatever you decide. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 4:30 PM, brisalta said:

Here is the Port of San Francisco cruise ship schedule for the year 2023.

https://sfport.com/files/2023-03/2023 San Francisco Cruise Schedule 2023-03-22.pdf

Thanks. Boarding Royal Princess 4/16/23. 

For those who are struggling with mobility I've taken a pedicab with little kids. $20 but sort of an adventure. 

Bart -> Embarcadero -> Pier 27 = about 1 hr & $2.40

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trbarton said:

If you could manage BART, remember their are elevators at the stations you could get a ride from there, 

Just a thought.😀😀😀

Good luck at whatever you decide. 

Tom😀

If the elevators are working.

The main issue, though, is multiple changes of transportation.  That would be the most difficult part for my wife.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:50 PM, damiross said:

If the elevators are working.

The main issue, though, is multiple changes of transportation.  That would be the most difficult part for my wife.

While it is possible and we’ve had it happen to us, it’s not a regular occurrence.  And aren’t there also escalators available?  It’s been a while .. so just can’t remember!   

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

While it is possible and we’ve had it happen to us, it’s not a regular occurrence.  And aren’t there also escalators available?  It’s been a while .. so just can’t remember!   

Now that you mention it, there are escalators.  

I checked the estimated costs for Lyft, Uber, and BART.  The prices came out to about $45, $60, and $10 respectively. I didn't realize how much of a difference there was between Uber and Luft.  I'll probably go ahead with BART. 

1 hour ago, damiross said:

I checked the estimated costs for Lyft, Uber, and BART.  The prices came out to about $45, $60, and $10 respectively. I didn't realize how much of a difference there was between Uber and Luft.  I'll probably go ahead with BART. 

Here is a link to BART elevator status.

That being said, I have no idea how up to date it is. 

https://www.bart.gov/stations/elevators

16 hours ago, damiross said:

Many drivers work for both Uber and Lyft and the prices can sometimes vary between the two but then again, sometimes they are the same.  It all depends upon demand at the time.  Either one will cost a lot more when coming home than going to the pier.  
BART is very convenient when you don’t have a lot of luggage to schlep to the pier.  From the CV station to the Embarcadero is a piece of cake as there are no transfers involved like there is to go to SFO.  
Just of note, for shorter cruises, we’ve parked there down by the pier.  It’s about $20-$22 a day and  we’ve even found some lots with security guards.  But then again, BART is still a lot cheaper option.  

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Many drivers work for both Uber and Lyft and the prices can sometimes vary between the two but then again, sometimes they are the same.  It all depends upon demand at the time.  Either one will cost a lot more when coming home than going to the pier.  
BART is very convenient when you don’t have a lot of luggage to schlep to the pier.  From the CV station to the Embarcadero is a piece of cake as there are no transfers involved like there is to go to SFO.  
Just of note, for shorter cruises, we’ve parked there down by the pier.  It’s about $20-$22 a day and  we’ve even found some lots with security guards.  But then again, BART is still a lot cheaper option.  

If, using Uber, would you be able to give what is considered to be prime time driving for morning hours. when going to the port.  Would it be the hours be the same from the airport or your hotel near the airport?   Never used Uber before.

9 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

If, using Uber, would you be able to give what is considered to be prime time driving for morning hours. when going to the port.  Would it be the hours be the same from the airport or your hotel near the airport?   Never used Uber before.

Not necessarily.  Their rates really depend upon how many people are ordering Ubers at the same time.  When disembarking from the ship, we’ve always found it is more expensive than doing the reverse.  It’s because so many people are ordering a ride at the same time.  
Sometimes, when we get off a plane, it’s the same.  Prices go up by about 20% to 30%.  

We walked from the Riu Plaza Fishermans Wharf to Pier 27 and were on the ship in less than 45 minutes from leaving the hotel.  We did leave early and originally planned to take an Uber but the surge pricing was too much, and even with my bad back the walk was not bad.

Here is a picture of the line up that was taken from our balcony..

IMG_2532.JPG

On 3/28/2023 at 1:37 PM, FrankieJayIII said:

I would like to ask a question.   If our boarding group is A and its from 11-11:30... what time should we get to the terminal?   What time is bag drop off...  

What is the earliest we can arrive at the terminal?

Thank you!

We’ve arrived as early as 9:45 AM, only because that is what time our ride was available.  We waited in a relatively short embarkation line until they opened the doors to the terminal for arrivals.  
I believe they begin to open the doors for check in around 10 AM.  
A couple of days ago, we arrived at 11:10 AM, went right through security without delay and were immediately allowed to board the ship right after check in.  Very quick and easy!  

On 3/30/2023 at 2:01 AM, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve arrived as early as 9:45 AM, only because that is what time our ride was available.  We waited in a relatively short embarkation line until they opened the doors to the terminal for arrivals.  
I believe they begin to open the doors for check in around 10 AM.  
A couple of days ago, we arrived at 11:10 AM, went right through security without delay and were immediately allowed to board the ship right after check in.  Very quick and easy!  

How's the cruise so far?

2 hours ago, sfpd3000 said:

How's the cruise so far?

Funny you asked that because Silvija just said to say hi to you!  

We are having a great time … there is so much to do, I’m finding it hard to keep up with all the activities!   
We were upgraded to a mini suite on the Marina deck.  I’ve always dreaded being under the pool deck but so far, so good!  Can’t look a gift horse in the mouth!  

The food and entertainment has been awesome.  The staff couldn’t be nicer and more attentive.  With 3250 guests, it started off feeling empty but now now, the crowds are quite apparent.  I think it was the rough seas that kept them in their cabins those first couple of days.  

We went to the winemakers dinner and it was phenomenal!  It was probably one of the best meals I’ve ever had in my whole life!  We are going to the Tuscany dinner later in the cruise.  

• Like 1

We took Lyft from Courtyard Fisherman’s Wharf to the pier, 1.2 miles, 15 minutes. Cost was about $13. Left our hotel about 10:30. No line to get in, security was fast, elite line to check in was fast and took about 3 minutes to pick up medallions. We were in boarding group 1 and they were already boarding group 2. Very few people in the terminal at this time.

The previous day we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel. It was Sunday and the traffic around Pier 39 was bumper to bumper. Taxi was about $70.

• Like 1