Azura March 2023 Live Blog

carlanthony24

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

carlanthony24 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Having only joined Azura yesterday, last time we were on her was back In October 2022. 

We stayed at Premier Inn Manchester North. On the night the fire alarm went off twice which turned out to be false alarm and the next morning the hotel had no hot water which meant they were not able to do a buffet breakfast so directed us to Premier Inn South just across the road.

We flew out from Manchester with Jet2 LS917 departing shortly after 10am because this was a scheduled flight they do allow twilight checkin enabling you to check in luggage the night before and head straight through security the next day. Has usual Manchester Airport was busy and even though we used fast track the staff member on the X-ray seemed to be putting a lot of bags through to be searched. My sister bag being one of them but was put through again without a search being conducted and passing with no problems. Strong headwinds gave us a flight time of 4hrs 15 Minutes the flight crew said we would be landing around 10 minutes late but instead they managed to arrive into Tenerife South around 15 minutes ahead of schedule with shortcuts given.

On arrival we had to pass through passport control then collect the bags from the carousel and head to the end of the terminal where P&O reps were waiting and directing you to the coaches. A big queue formed since most of the other holiday companies had taken up spots with their coaches. A few people already complaining saying “I’ve never had to queue, I wont be doing this again” Can’t please everyone! 

Journey from the airport to Santa Cruz took about 40 minutes and with no holdups. Upon arrival at the terminal we were directed into the terminal through security and checked in which took around 10 minutes in total.

All checked in we proceeded to board Azura and straight to our Muster station then to our cabins where our luggage was already waiting for us. 

We had decided a while ago we weren’t going going to eat onboard for our first time but instead head to Deli Darbar Indian restaurant just across from the ship and it were well worth it, even a lot of the crew were coming to it. 

Afterwards we decided to head back to the ship to retire for the night after being up for a good 17hrs. Our cabins are on Deck 14 Rivieria Deck FWD Balcony.

We woke up around 10am for breakfast, we prefer to use the buffet, no problems finding a table or using buffet. Tonight we have booked the Beach House so will be looking forward to the Lava Rock Steak. 

It has been lovely to bump into Staff I use to work with.

First impressions ship looks clean and painted on the outside. Inside just as clean, new tables and chairs indoors and on the promenade deck since October. We don’t go around looking for problems if something arises then we deal with it when it happens.

Only downside people waiting to go home decide to all sit at the coffee shop so a little hard to find a table.

We are due to set sail for Lanzarote around 9.30PM tonight.

D1D69BA8-52FD-4159-A4B7-DBA18197BF31.jpeg

923D2235-AC38-4B80-8969-2F87A97453F0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We have noticed coffee shops weren’t doing the usual cakes just cupcakes and placing little biscuits with the coffee maybe because it’s turnaround day. We shell see what happens.

The bacon for breakfast wasn’t the typical English bacon it’s the more like streaky bacon catered for the Spanish I would say but still good enough. Toast was okay and easy to eat. It can sometimes be hit and miss from past experiences

Seems like the milk sachets have gone from cabins and are in little pots instead along with Nescafe coffee. Still got biscuits being put in. No water in cabins like before but available on request part of a special deal. Something like 6 bottles for £7 something can’t remember off the top of my head. 

New guests joining an announcement was made just before 2PM announcing the cabins were ready. 

Weather is cloudy but warm nice gentle breeze and the sun keeps appearing, 21 degrees 

Only annoyance is people do not use the hand gels provided and people do not listen to instructions. We were told on the coach when we arrive at the port to stay seated while a person informs us of the next steps but people decided to get up anyway… 

Dress code for turnaround days seem relaxed which is no surprise.

Headliners performing tonight with show On The Horizon 8:30PM & 10:30PM. We have not decided if we will go and see again we may just relax in the Glass House. 

I have been watching the weather for Lanzarote and it seems it could be gusting 30knots so we shell see what happens.

Yesterday they also were cleaning balconies and are currently doing maintenance on something in the middle of deck 7 portside. The lifejackets that are kept on deck 7 in the wooden cabinets seem to have been painted over in white paint which personally makes the cabinets look better.

On the cruise personaliser it did mention 3 formal nights for a 13 night cruise. Celebration night due to be our first sea day after Lanzarote, I think the next one is sea day after Cadiz and the sea day after Palma De Mallorca. 

image.jpg

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

Having only joined Azura yesterday, last time we were on her was back In October 2022. 

We stayed at Premier Inn Manchester North. On the night the fire alarm went off twice which turned out to be false alarm and the next morning the hotel had no hot water which meant they were not able to do a buffet breakfast so directed us to Premier Inn South just across the road.

We flew out from Manchester with Jet2 LS917 departing shortly after 10am because this was a scheduled flight they do allow twilight checkin enabling you to check in luggage the night before and head straight through security the next day. Has usual Manchester Airport was busy and even though we used fast track the staff member on the X-ray seemed to be putting a lot of bags through to be searched. My sister bag being one of them but was put through again without a search being conducted and passing with no problems. Strong headwinds gave us a flight time of 4hrs 15 Minutes the flight crew said we would be landing around 10 minutes late but instead they managed to arrive into Tenerife South around 15 minutes ahead of schedule with shortcuts given.

On arrival we had to pass through passport control then collect the bags from the carousel and head to the end of the terminal where P&O reps were waiting and directing you to the coaches. A big queue formed since most of the other holiday companies had taken up spots with their coaches. A few people already complaining saying “I’ve never had to queue, I wont be doing this again” Can’t please everyone! 

Journey from the airport to Santa Cruz took about 40 minutes and with no holdups. Upon arrival at the terminal we were directed into the terminal through security and checked in which took around 10 minutes in total.

All checked in we proceeded to board Azura and straight to our Muster station then to our cabins where our luggage was already waiting for us. 

We had decided a while ago we weren’t going going to eat onboard for our first time but instead head to Deli Darbar Indian restaurant just across from the ship and it were well worth it, even a lot of the crew were coming to it. 

Afterwards we decided to head back to the ship to retire for the night after being up for a good 17hrs. Our cabins are on Deck 14 Rivieria Deck FWD Balcony.

We woke up around 10am for breakfast, we prefer to use the buffet, no problems finding a table or using buffet. Tonight we have booked the Beach House so will be looking forward to the Lava Rock Steak. 

It has been lovely to bump into Staff I use to work with.

First impressions ship looks clean and painted on the outside. Inside just as clean, new tables and chairs indoors and on the promenade deck since October. We don’t go around looking for problems if something arises then we deal with it when it happens.

Only downside people waiting to go home decide to all sit at the coffee shop so a little hard to find a table.

We are due to set sail for Lanzarote around 9.30PM tonight.

D1D69BA8-52FD-4159-A4B7-DBA18197BF31.jpeg

923D2235-AC38-4B80-8969-2F87A97453F0.jpeg

Enjoy. We did last month and are on again in April.

• Like 1

Just had Lunch another noticeable change is they now show a menu for the day with what’s going to appear in the buffet and also have menus on tables in other establishments.

I am not one to have a big breakfast I tend to be a fussy eater so only have bacon sandwiches but noticing they were doing Chicken Tikka Masala for Lunch it just had to be done.

One of the waiters on entrance to the buffet was making sure people are using the hand gels provided. Person in front of me muttered to himself saying “oh it’s working then” even though he was just walking straight past it before being told to do it. Also a women retrieves a hot plate but complains it’s too hot. I guess she would also complain if the plate had been cold. 

Another good thing is photographers are back onboard and have noticed the screens have been changed in the photo gallery. 

2D2F921C-81EF-4654-BCA7-FE3B858E0290.jpeg

5207B0FC-33F8-4D46-994B-1754C4521C99.jpeg

C93573BE-5E1D-47F5-AF14-A65BF695C227.jpeg

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

What a surprise to hear Neil Turnball on the PA system he was due to be on leave around the 9th March but he is now not leaving till Madeira on 21st March where Luko Vojvoda takes over. Personally would have loved Neil Turnball to stay on, do love the announcements that he does do throughout the day. Luko Vojvoda is alright in my opinion but I tend to find he does not go into much detail especially like a daily 6PM announcement or routing compared to Neil Turnball and other Captains I have experienced.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

We are due back in October again to do the repositioning 16nights to Tenerife.

we're on then, and the preceding week around Croatia. First time on Azura, following your blog with interest! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

We have noticed coffee shops weren’t doing the usual cakes just cupcakes and placing little biscuits with the coffee maybe because it’s turnaround day. We shell see what happens.

The bacon for breakfast wasn’t the typical English bacon it’s the more like streaky bacon catered for the Spanish I would say but still good enough. Toast was okay and easy to eat. It can sometimes be hit and miss from past experiences

Seems like the milk sachets have gone from cabins and are in little pots instead along with Nescafe coffee. Still got biscuits being put in. No water in cabins like before but available on request part of a special deal. Something like 6 bottles for £7 something can’t remember off the top of my head. 

New guests joining an announcement was made just before 2PM announcing the cabins were ready. 

Weather is cloudy but warm nice gentle breeze and the sun keeps appearing, 21 degrees 

Only annoyance is people do not use the hand gels provided and people do not listen to instructions. We were told on the coach when we arrive at the port to stay seated while a person informs us of the next steps but people decided to get up anyway… 

Dress code for turnaround days seem relaxed which is no surprise.

Headliners performing tonight with show On The Horizon 8:30PM & 10:30PM. We have not decided if we will go and see again we may just relax in the Glass House. 

I have been watching the weather for Lanzarote and it seems it could be gusting 30knots so we shell see what happens.

Yesterday they also were cleaning balconies and are currently doing maintenance on something in the middle of deck 7 portside. The lifejackets that are kept on deck 7 in the wooden cabinets seem to have been painted over in white paint which personally makes the cabinets look better.

On the cruise personaliser it did mention 3 formal nights for a 13 night cruise. Celebration night due to be our first sea day after Lanzarote, I think the next one is sea day after Cadiz and the sea day after Palma De Mallorca. 

image.jpg

Looking forward to reading your review.

When we were on Azura in November I ordered room service breakfast every day and got a half pint sized metal pot or bigger  with milk in for my muesli.

I kept this milk in the fridge and used it also in my tea.

Graham.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

I did forget to mention their was a little bit of a sewage smell while out on deck yesterday and today but was only briefly have not smelt anymore of it throughout the day.

We fortunately never smelled any sewage smell on our 14 night Canary Islands cruise in November on Azura so hopefully you won't again.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your blog. We are onboard in Jan 24 and in a suite for the first time after cruising for 27 years. Not  been on Azura, but was onboard Ventura a few years ago.

My only concern is our suite is midships on deck 14 and there have been comments of early morning noise from the deck above, hopefully it will not be a big issue.

Enjoy your cruise, I am looking forward to the next chapter.

• Like 2

• Host Sharon changed the title to Azura March 2023 Live Blog
11 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Same in October only when we was being refuelled.

We noticed it a bit when they were pumping out the tanks in port. TBH some of the port areas ponged a bit.🤔

• Like 2

After leaving Tenerife at an average speed of 15 knots and with Azura pitching slightly through the night. At one point I looked out and the sea looked quite rough along with spray kicking up but Azura handled it well.

We are in Lanzarote docked at the berth closer to the Marina with Aidabella docked on the other side.

Weather sunny but cloudy temperature 21 degrees. Quite breezy on deck 16 to walk round the front has it is currently closed.

Arrival 9am with an all onboard time of 5.30pm departing 6pm.

Shuttle bus service in operation Select Fare included, Saver Fare chargeable Adult single £4 Child single £2 each way. 

Only a 1-2 minute ride then a 15 minute walk to the centre of town. I know from past cruises before Covid they would drop off more in the centre but was always hard for the coaches with parked cars around. 

We tend to do our own things while in ports. We don’t enjoy Lanzarote that much but decided to catch the shuttle and just have a litttle walk along the promenade.

The app/website what ever people want to call it works well besides the cabin which has no Wi-Fi maybe this will change when Star link starts to appear I did manage to book the Beach House for 7:45PM for four people yesterday and the option to book entertainment no longer shows.

Beach House food has usual was fabulous. It is a speciality restaurant so pay extra to eat here but always worth it in our opinion I believe the price to dine here is £9.50 per person correct me if I am wrong. Starters we did 

have were Nachos sharer and Chicken Wings. Mains myself had the 10oz Lava Rock Steak priced at £7, Parents had the Beer Can Chicken sharer priced at £4, sister had the Chicken Fajita Sizzler which is no extra charge. 

We did not manage to use the Glass House for food in October but are planning to this cruise. Sindhu we did want to try but the menu isn’t to our liking. We also have never tried The Epicurean and don’t think we will this time. 

This evening we are going to the MDR. Normally go around 7-7:30 freedom dining. We are happy to wait for a table of 4. 

When the shops opened last night the duty free shop was full since they had a 15% sale. At 8pm they are unveiling new Tag Heuer watches and 20 percent off at Pandora. 

You know when things are back to normal when you see the sign saying we are sailing full no upgrades are available!

In the Playhouse is TripTonics never seen before so will be off too the 10:30 show

It is a sea day tomorrow has we make our way to Madeira at a slow speed of around 8-10 knots arriving around 7am.

8F75C87E-3B3F-45F2-851A-CBD79B297CC6.jpeg

5FAE03A4-DE60-4D77-B857-18A356CF44EC.jpeg

16D31101-D50D-400C-844D-BB181ECEA27F.jpeg

93BC5212-EEFC-4603-88D7-A7F5CC3FAF45.jpeg

1475BB44-BC70-495F-9B20-5D0AA101F6B3.jpeg

06D6508D-F660-4C90-A39A-F9D0C8127D27.jpeg

783BFF56-A774-46B3-BCBC-E39AA95786DD.jpeg

4E09BCFB-95E9-4EF3-A730-160F3DC4AAED.jpeg

2A684A35-C0F2-44FA-BB1B-0C9F23417B92.jpeg

8532CC77-26AD-4E7D-B3BA-7B10E5C2BDB8.jpeg

AD12ABF7-4D1C-4C8F-B0B0-3E128B459079.jpeg

1F59BDB4-80D6-4D1A-B4D3-9DB6C86077B8.jpeg