Advantage of "Hosted Voyages?"

IslandThyme

When we have had hosted voyages (the hosts represented a large cruise agency consortium) there was a small cocktail party which was simply a way to meet a few folks (drinks are all included with Seabourn).  The hostess also gave a generous OBC to everyone who had booked through any agency that was a member of that consortium.  Otherwise, we have found little to no advantage to a hosted voyage.

Hank

• Like 1

No, it is generally the large(r) agency consortia who will have an agent / agent couple on board for their consolidated bookings, consequently you won't find on HAL's website.  It is a perquisite(?) of booking through their TA group.   Scott. 

26 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

No, it is generally the large(r) agency consortia who will have an agent / agent couple on board for their consolidated bookings, consequently you won't find on HAL's website.  It is a perquisite(?) of booking through their TA group.   Scott. 

Yes, sometimes I see "hosted voyage" on my TA's website, but I don't look at their site often. I usually do my research at the cruise line sites and call her when I'm ready to book. I tend to book early, and sometimes the "hosted voyage" is a surprise that pops up later. I don't think I would choose a cruise for the "hosted" perks. 

52 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

For me it was a no brainer, the cabin I had previously booked was more expensive than the near identical Hosted cruise cabin plus the OBC sweetened the deal. I am curious how involved the hosts are in the pre planning and the cruise itself. 

Probably not at all. They work for the consortium the agencies work with, not the cruise line.

The benefits of a hosted voyage should be spelled out; cocktail party, pre- or post- cruise hotel, included excursion, canapes, or whatever.

At the worst, "hosted" means that the travel agency booked enough cabins to earn the agent a free cabin and the benefits are his and his alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I am curious how involved the hosts are in the pre planning and the cruise itself. 

Not at all. HAL provides GAP (Group Advantage Program) amenities based on the cumulative number of cabins booked per voyage. Tour conductors generally earn a spot with every 16th lower berth booked -- and depending on the number of cabins booked, GAP menu amenities can include things like additional OBC for booked pax; a wine cellar package with one bottle of wine per stateroom; bon voyage sparkling wine; Internet package; photo credit; sparkling wine and strawberries; a cocktail party with hors d’oeuvres; and a Cruise With Purpose charity donation.

The amenities are awarded as points to the booking agency / consortia, and they can deploy as they see fit.    Scott. 

When the world shut down in March 2020, I was on the 2020GWV, a "hosted" sailing.  As 1200 passengers attempted to book flights home from Australia in unprecedented circumstances, the hosts for a large consortium worked tirelessly to make sure that every one of their booked passengers (I was not one of them) made it home.  Their efforts impressed me enough that I booked my next GV with one of the represented host consortiums.

• Like 5

I replied last night…. Guess it got deleted because I did a no no and mentioned host.

We have cruised 26 times.  Twenty five no host and then 26 - We had an excellent experience in February and because of that we booked 3 additional hosted voyages.  

The pricing was better, benefits were wow! And every attention to detail was spot on.   Our person is very knowledgeable regarding HAL and many other cruise lines.   He makes it happen. I won’t go with anyone else.  

Incredible excursions, turn down gifts, surprises at every turn.

I got sick. Met me in medical after hours, made sure I had comfort foods and checked on me after I got home.   He is the best of the best.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

It's sounding like there's no industry standard, judging from replies ranging from "won't sail without it" to "really they might not do anything at all." 

You should research your ‘person’.  Ours is truly a conceirge onboard and more.  

5 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

It's sounding like there's no industry standard, judging from replies ranging from "won't sail without it" to "really they might not do anything at all." 

Large amount of OBC and possibly a better room price and location from the blocks of rooms they reserve was good enough for me. If they do more than that is a bonus. If I don’t like them and get other recommendations while on the cruise I will research more.