First cruise in 6 years

So we are getting ready for our first cruise in a little over 6 years.  This will also be our first cruise with our newest addition who will be 15 months.  So I am reaching out to see what new procedures, updates, or tips you can share.  We will be on the Independence of the seas and booked two interior rooms for our family of 4.  The cruise is headed to the Bahamas in April.  Thank you in advance. 

2 hours ago, jty1220 said:

So we are getting ready for our first cruise in a little over 6 years.  This will also be our first cruise with our newest addition who will be 15 months.  So I am reaching out to see what new procedures, updates, or tips you can share.  We will be on the Independence of the seas and booked two interior rooms for our family of 4.  The cruise is headed to the Bahamas in April.  Thank you in advance. 

to be honest, I didn't notice much different procedurally from my previous Oasis class cruise that was actually longer apart than yours.  The muster drill at the top of my head is a little different, completing it online.  Photo package, no prints on display, everything is on the terminal

• Like 2

also, this is probably just my perception, but it seems with the advent of the drink package, the wine list in the MDR has become somewhat uninspiring.  Seemed like with the old wine package there was a lot more options to chose from

• Like 1

The biggest change in the last 6 years is the rolling out of the app. Royal Caribbean is pushing the app like it's the second coming. They actually say that you are required to download the app in order to cruise. While the app certainly makes some things easier and more efficient, it is not required. The best thing about the app (to me, at least) is the ability to do the safety drill before boarding the ship. Once on the ship, you walk to your muster station, they check you off and you're done. No more standing in the heat listening to "the talk".

Oher changes in the last 6 years include:

A paper copy of the Compass is no longer delivered to your cabin each night. Most of the information contained in the Compass is available on the app. Your stateroom attendant will deliver a paper copy to your room each night if you ask for it.

The menus have changed. A little research here will reveal the changes.

Stateroom attendants are now cleaning cabins only once a day.

There are more changes post-Covid, I just can't think of them all right now, I'm still on my first cup of coffee 😁.

• Thanks 1

One change is I still see people wearing masks on every cruise. I never saw that before COVID. Another change if you are Diamond or higher, you get 4 free drinks per day (5 for Diamond + and 6 for Pinnacle) that you can use at any bar as opposed to having unlimited drinks during happy hour at the Diamond Lounge like they did in the past. 

• Thanks 1

The muster drill change is big, especially if that's nap time for your little ones. You can do it all on your phone, with just a quick check in at the location, so much better than the old way.

Dining has been made a lot faster which may be helpful to your family. 

You may want to search specifically for Adventure Ocean updates.

• Thanks 1

Also right about 6 years ago they started charging for room service.  That may have been on your last cruise or not.

It may have been there 6 years ago, but you have to scan your card to get pool towels.

Based on ship, could be all of them but not entirely sure if all ships have changed to this procedure, you now get your seapass card at your room now, and not when you check in.

Based on ship AO is no longer in three age groups.  They have 3-5 year old lumped together and then 6-12 now lumped together rather than their old age ranges or 3-5,6-8,9-11.  This is ship dependent based on if the AO space was refurbished in the most recent refit.  If the 6-12 yo grouping it is much less structured and more like Disney’s Kids club in that it’s more like a free for all.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Also right about 6 years ago they started charging for room service.  That may have been on your last cruise or not.

It may have been there 6 years ago, but you have to scan your card to get pool towels.

Based on ship, could be all of them but not entirely sure if all ships have changed to this procedure, you now get your seapass card at your room now, and not when you check in.

Based on ship AO is no longer in three age groups.  They have 3-5 year old lumped together and then 6-12 now lumped together rather than their old age ranges or 3-5,6-8,9-11.  This is ship dependent based on if the AO space was refurbished in the most recent refit.  If the 6-12 yo grouping it is much less structured and more like Disney’s Kids club in that it’s more like a free for all.

good points I forgot about charging for room service, that is a definite change.  I think scanning for towels has been around awhile, I remember it on my previous cruise

On 3/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, pittnh said:

good points I forgot about charging for room service, that is a definite change.  I think scanning for towels has been around awhile, I remember it on my previous cruise

How much is room service breakfast?

On 3/19/2023 at 7:47 PM, rimmit said:

Does the child care for 1 year olds typically fill up fast?

32 minutes ago, jty1220 said:

Does the child care for 1 year olds typically fill up fast?

Babies and toddlers from 0-2 years and 364 days go to the nursery.  Based on the boat it can fill up very quickly as some boats only can hold 4 babies at a time,  on the larger boats the capacity can be as high as 16, and fills up less quickly.  

We used to go straight to the nursery when boarding and wait until it opened so we were first in line to guarantee we got our main must have times for childcare.  When our kids were younger Formal night was still a bigger event so we always booked formal nights, and some daytime during sea days with our initial allotment as those are by far the busiest times for the nursery.  We have definitely been on ships where you are definitely scrapping for nursery hours if there are a large number of babies on board and limited capacity like on the Grandeur. 

I see you are on the Independence.  They likely have 10-12 or so spots in the nursery which is my guess, but those can definitely fill based on kid load especially on a shorter cruise as most parents will be looking to maximize baby free time.  I definitely suggest going there first thing to ensure you get your must have times.

Edited by rimmit

22 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Babies and toddlers from 0-2 years and 364 days go to the nursery.  Based on the boat it can fill up very quickly as some boats only can hold 4 babies at a time,  on the larger boats the capacity can be as high as 16, and fills up less quickly.  

We used to go straight to the nursery when boarding and wait until it opened so we were first in line to guarantee we got our main must have times for childcare.  When our kids were younger Formal night was still a bigger event so we always booked formal nights, and some daytime during sea days with our initial allotment as those are by far the busiest times for the nursery.  We have definitely been on ships where you are definitely scrapping for nursery hours if there are a large number of babies on board and limited capacity like on the Grandeur. 

I see you are on the Independence.  They likely have 10-12 or so spots in the nursery which is my guess, but those can definitely fill based on kid load especially on a shorter cruise as most parents will be looking to maximize baby free time.  I definitely suggest going there first thing to ensure you get your must have times.

Thank you.  We will plan to go right to sign up when we board. 

On 3/19/2023 at 12:05 AM, pittnh said:

also, this is probably just my perception, but it seems with the advent of the drink package, the wine list in the MDR has become somewhat uninspiring.  Seemed like with the old wine package there was a lot more options to chose from

Family of 4 with a 15 month old toddler will be cruising.  Don't think they care about a wine list, or drink packages.

25 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Family of 4 with a 15 month old toddler will be cruising.  Don't think they care about a wine list, or drink packages.

they asked what was new, and the drink package is somewhat new.  I traveled with young children and cared about the wine list.  You can still enjoy wine with a family, they will save a bottle for you for the next night, and the night after that if you don't finish it.

Edited by pittnh