Understanding current Wifi costs on Princess ships!

Diamondring

I am trying to figure this out. We haven't cruised in the last 4 years and so much has changed.  I understand the Plus and Premier packages to purchase, but don't need some of the perks.  In the past since we are Platinum level, we got wifi for free.  Is that still true or is there a charge now by purchasing a package or is there a way to just get Wifi alone and as this says at 50% off?  What is the price?   This is what I copied off the Princess website:

“Platinum Membership Benefits

A lot of travel deserves a lot of benefits. Level up your perks after completing 5 cruises or 50 cruise days with Princess. In addition to all of the benefits at the Gold and Ruby levels, enjoy priority boarding in the cruise terminal, so you can experience your MedallionClass® vacation even quicker. When it’s time to head home, get the same deluxe treatment with access to our Disembarkation Lounge. Enjoy fresh-baked pastries and a soothing cup of tea or coffee with members of your travel party before you make your onward journey home. During your time on board, you’ll enjoy discounts off Lotus Spa® treatments and the professional photo offerings in the Photo Gallery. You’ll also be able to connect with loved ones at home with the best Wi-Fi at sea, our fast and reliable MedallionNet® internet, as Platinum members of the Captain’s Circle enjoy 50% off our MedallionNet packages. Whether you want to video chat with your family and friends, share photos on social media, or even stream your favorite shows, Princess makes it easy for our valued guests. “

Thanks in advance for any clarification.  

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wifi for Platinum and Elite is 50% discount. The current cost is $15 per device per day, so you as Platinum would pay $7.50 per day. It is unlimited, and good for streaming, facetime, etc. Whatever you need it for.

$15/day is if you are purchasing for the whole voyage. If you only want a single day the price is $20/day and if you qualify for discount then only $10, I believe for 24hr period, not calendar day. This is also the price for one device. Princess allows you to switch among devices so easy to share, can only have one device ‘active’ at a time.

Higher price for if you need multiple devices active at same time up to 4. Prices should be in cruise Personalizer if you have a cruise booked or Medallion APP.

• Like 3

Consider:

1) If you plan on using WiFi for both of you (assuming double occupancy)

2) If you would like to pay your gratuities up front

3) If you would like to have a few drinks (up to 12 or 15...not sure) per day without being charged individually

4) You think you might  be interested in seeing what all the hoopla is about regarding the "2 free premium desserts" per day

5) You think you *might* be interested in a couple of fitness classes (gym is free...this would be special classes)

If you think you would be interested in 1, 2 and 3 above...Plus is probably for you.  4 and 5 and recent (and minimal) add-ons that really don't add that much value.  For us...we *always* book Plus..we just feel that it makes sense for us.

If you book the straight "basic" fare package you can always "add on" any of the above or on a "pay as you go" plan.  Others have clearly given you the "stand alone" WiFi pricing.  You have to do the math as it pertains to you, though.

• Like 1

When prepping for our last cruise, the app didn't show the 50% discount for us, although it had in the past. I went ahead and bought it full price, figuring I'd sort it out on the ship. The first time I brought up my account, the credit was already there. No sorting out needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

$15/day is if you are purchasing for the whole voyage. If you only want a single day the price is $20/day and if you qualify for discount then only $10, I believe for 24hr period, not calendar day. This is also the price for one device. Princess allows you to switch among devices so easy to share, can only have one device ‘active’ at a time.

Higher price for if you need multiple devices active at same time up to 4. Prices should be in cruise Personalizer if you have a cruise booked or Medallion APP.

Have you confirmed on a ship by asking at the Internet Cafe if the single-day charge for MedallionNet is still $20?  I am doubtful that is the case since the pricing went up for full-voyage packages.

4 hours ago, Diamondring said:

Thanks in advance for any clarification.  

What you have not been told on here is the cost of another MedallionNet plan that allows up to 4 devices to be connected at once.  That cost is $40/day ($20 with eligible discount). 

Therefore, if you have >=3 guests wanting internet access, you can get a 4-device plan for $20 net after discount versus $22.50 after discount for three single-device plans.

Note that you can have multiple devices and use them on board, but only one at a time connected if you are on single device plan.

The single day rate may well be more than $20 ($10 after discount) now.  I'd still like to see a confirmed report on that from a ship.

Princess could save a lot of questions if they would just publish the MedallionNet costs (price list) on their website.  They don't seem to want to do that (other than say from $15 or put the value of internet at $15/day in the Plus cruise fare option).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Have you confirmed on a ship by asking at the Internet Cafe if the single-day charge for MedallionNet is still $20?  I am doubtful that is the case since the pricing went up for full-voyage packages.

that is what I was told on the Crown last week, also no longer a discount for purchasing pre-cruise

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

that is what I was told on the Crown last week, also no longer a discount for purchasing pre-cruise

Thanks and yes, the cost of MedallionNet packages is the same on board as pre-cruise, so no need to purchase in advance - especially if guest wants to chew up OBC.

Interesting that the single-day rate was not increased.

1 hour ago, jujuyu211 said:

I have the Princess Plus package. Does anyone know if I want to upgrade from 1 device to 4 devices, what that would cost? It’s a 7 day sailing 

It will cost the difference from a single device plan and the four device plan.

2 minutes ago, jujuyu211 said:

What’s the difference per day for 7 days? I can’t seem to find the rate anywhere 

Single device plan

6 hours ago, wallyj said:

$15/day is if you are purchasing for the whole voyage.

Four device plan

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What you have not been told on here is the cost of another MedallionNet plan that allows up to 4 devices to be connected at once.  That cost is $40/day ($20 with eligible discount). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegal40 said:

I am Platinum. I can go on the medallion app and it shows my %50 off. So good to go.  Easy peasy

That has worked for some people and not for some others.

Based on posts on this forum, main reason it may not work is that the app does not have the correct Captain's Circle status.

16 minutes ago, caribill said:

That has worked for some people and not for some others.

Based on posts on this forum, main reason it may not work is that the app does not have the correct Captain's Circle status.

I agree with this. Somehow, my status has changed in the app since the last time I was able to get the 50% discount up front. Oddly though, we got the correct black background medallions for the cruise where we couldn't get the 50% off up front. Medallion orders must get their info from a different source.

41 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Exactly!  You beat me to it @caribill!

I'm lucky enough to be correct. And I had called the Princess support number for members and got a very nice lady on the phone that fixed my hubs Ruby status to Platinum.  That was pretty quick also.

• 10 months later...

I don't understand the Princess Medallion app, it has a section to choose your wifi and I thought it was $15/day per 1 device.  But this section is saying:

Side note:  I'm on a 17 day Japan cruise with 3 people in my room.

Plan Length:  Entire Voyage (Only selection available)

Number of devices:  Sing-device (Cost will be $424.83)

Multi-device up to 4 (Cost will be $764.83.)

The single device does not calculate to $15/day/device.  It equals $25.  Unless it is 1 device per person in my cabin then it's $8.30 pp in my cabin for 1 device each. 

5 minutes ago, JFKHawaii said:

I don't understand the Princess Medallion app, it has a section to choose your wifi and I thought it was $15/day per 1 device.  But this section is saying:

Side note:  I'm on a 17 day Japan cruise with 3 people in my room.

Plan Length:  Entire Voyage (Only selection available)

Number of devices:  Sing-device (Cost will be $424.83)

Multi-device up to 4 (Cost will be $764.83.)

The single device does not calculate to $15/day/device.  It equals $25.  Unless it is 1 device per person in my cabin then it's $8.30 pp in my cabin for 1 device each. 

The price went up last week, so $25 per single device, per day is the going rate. If you're platinum or elite, you should get 50% off, so $12.50. A "single device" means that you can have one person at a time logged in, but people can and do share a one device plan. It's not accounting for the 3 people in your cabin.

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 1

Prices were raised last week.  Bottom line is that EVERYTHING that is purchased a la carte has or will go up to the point where it simply does not make sense to sail without a package.  That is, as long as the price of the packages does not go up.  But for now, they haven't so the packages become the obvious choice for most.  There are always exceptions, but those people are now going to pay a lot more for their cruises, unless they forego things like the internet.

Edited by JimmyVWine

@seahag and @JimmyVWine thank you for your quick responses. Man, I get it now, I have to pay to play!  

I wanted to save a few measly bucks here and there, but I guess they want to squeeze every dime outta me. lol.  I could always go without internet, but with my 86 year old dad staying home, we need to be able to get in touch.  Mahalo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

The price went up last week, so $25 per single device, per day is the going rate. If you're platinum or elite, you should get 50% off, so $12.50. A "single device" means that you can have one person at a time logged in, but people can and do share a one device plan. It's not accounting for the 3 people in your cabin.

So I’m Platnum, my cost of WiFi for one device for 10 days is $125?