Myanmar, is refund possible after final payment

It could be handled  in such a way not to distress more people  this close to the schedule  changes

Most are on the RTW cruise  so they do not  have  much choice but go where  the ship takes them

But for those  maybe joining the ship  soon  they could just say

"due to the  situation in Myanmar   we will cancelling that port  & we are working on an alternative  itinerary"

Yes some will be upset   & some will understand  but to leave people in limbo  is not doing anyone any favours

But the  silence & denial  that anything  is wrong  is just making people angry

JMO 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm not so sure about @vaitape's strategy.  While I agree that O's communication skills are lacking, to tell passengers that they are going to skip a port but don't have the alternatives worked out yet would be quite unsettling to many. The anguish over the uncertainty of not knowing is not really relieved but just redirected, and for some that anxiety may be heightened.  I think they feel it's better to have the new itinerary in place before starting all sorts of speculation and discord.  It ain't easy to please everyone.

YMMV

12 hours ago, vaitape said:

YMMV

I agree with your original thoughts.

The first principle of corporate communications is to advise your clients about an issue as soon as you know about it - even if the full resolution is not yet known. They won't be happy, but at least that lets them begin to consider options as may be needed.

The second principle is to let your clients know when you will "fill in the blanks" - and then deliver on that timing (or at the very least provide a substantive update).

Black holes or the mushroom theory are never a good approach. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

I agree, the lack of communication is ridiculous.  The Nautica sailing is still showing Myanmar.  My TA called O today as they are trying to negotiate an exception to a refund and O said they have not made any decisions on cancelling the Myanmar port.  Again this is TODAY!

For many reasons, as the sailing approached, it became clear that we absolutely could not visit Myanmar.  Things were obviously becoming untenable yet O continued to assert that their “ people in country” were assuring them that the situation was improving and it would be safe to sail. 

We waited as long as we could but cancelled the sailing and lost a large sum of money.  We run a business and had to decide if we would be gone for the 4 weeks as we were scheduled to leave on the 30th.

It’s clear, now that I’ve cancelled all my hotels and flights and made commitments at work, that O is probably going to cancel the Myanmar port.  It would have been nice, as Vaitape stated, if O would have said, we understand that the Myanmar is currently a dangerous destination and we are working diligently to make alternative plans.

This way, we would have had the option to go on the cruise.  Now, we are just out the entire cost of this very expensive sailing.

In my opinion, I try not to cancel a cruise under any penalty unless that is the only option.  In the case of potential/real problems brewing in one or more of the scheduled ports of call, I have always assumed that the cruise will skip these ports, whether we ask them about it or not.  I think the best course of action is to proactively cancel the cruise under penalty.  Obviously, there is a chance that the cruise will be completely cancelled at the last minute (which can even happen for multiple reasons unrelated to the current topic), but it is my understanding that a problem at just one of the ports of call will most likely result in more days at sea or substituted ports, not a flat cancellation.

20 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Oceania just cancelled 3 days in  Myanmar for the Nautica May 10th cruise. Ship was supposed to be there May 15-17

And rearranged/added to the itinerary.  

12 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Oceania just cancelled 3 days in  Myanmar for the Nautica May 10th cruise. Ship was supposed to be there May 15-17

What is Oceania doing regarding replacement of the port stop?  Sea days, another/different port of call, etc.?  Just curious, since I will have the same issue in January on the Riviera.

28 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

What is Oceania doing regarding replacement of the port stop?  Sea days, another/different port of call, etc.?  Just curious, since I will have the same issue in January on the Riviera.

Just check the OC website for all the details regarding the Insignia and Nautica sailings next month.  It has already been updated. They will likely do the same for the Riviera sailing in December in due time.