Taxi / transport from hotel in Civitavecchia to cruiseport

VitaminSea53

18 minutes ago, marazul said:

A taxi from central Civi to the cruise port should not be more than 8-10 euros.  When you are there ask your hotel to call a taxi for you. 

Can they go into the port - right to the ship boarding area?  The “cabs” you book on-line are quoting $140 for 6 people.

“Civitavecchia Cab Service” website quotes 176 Euros !!   I remember from Pre-Covid years that some taxis could not enter the port and would drop you at the gate.  Anyone know which cab service can get into the port - right to your ship (Celebrity)?

Edited by VitaminSea53

That's a ripoff. These are probably for transfer companies out of Rome that would have to drive to Civi and pick you up for a 5 minute ride. You need a local taxi.

Most taxis are allowed in the port. The best thing you can do is get in touch with your hotel. They know what to do. They live there.

They can book you a minivan taxi or, at most, two regular taxis for your group of 6. 

1 minute ago, marazul said:

That's a ripoff. These are probably for transfer companies out of Rome that would have to drive to Civi and pick you up for a 5 minute ride. You need a local taxi.

Most taxis are allowed in the port. The best thing you can do is get in touch with your hotel. They know what to do. They live there.

They can book you a minivan taxi or, at most, two regular taxis for your group of 6. 

Thanks - I emailed the hotel and they told me to reserve it through Booking.com since I had booked the hotel room through Booking.com.  I would just rather use a local cab company like you suggested and am not happy with the hotel response.  I guess I can just wait until we get there the day before the cruise but am concerned that local cabs will be ‘booked up’ for morning time slots.

21 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Thanks - I emailed the hotel and they told me to reserve it through Booking.com since I had booked the hotel room through Booking.com.  I would just rather use a local cab company like you suggested and am not happy with the hotel response.  I guess I can just wait until we get there the day before the cruise but am concerned that local cabs will be ‘booked up’ for morning time slots.

I doubt all taxis will be booked. Very few people stay in Civi before a cruise.  And even so, the taxis can pick up locally and return to service in half an hour. 

Tou can also book a taxi for the next day when you arrive at the hotel. 

And you found another good reason to book directly with the hotels.

Edited by marazul

Just now, marazul said:

I doubt all taxis will be booked. Very few people stay in Civi before a cruise.  And even so, the taxis can pick up and return to service in half an hour. 

And you found another good reason to book directly with the hotels.

I tried to book my room directly with the hotel - that is my general policy and I will pay extra in order to do that but they had no direct booking option on their website - You had to call (telephone) or use What’s Ap (which I am not familiar with).  Time difference, language barrier and refundablility caused me to opt for Booking.com.  

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Thanks - I emailed the hotel and they told me to reserve it through Booking.com since I had booked the hotel room through Booking.com.  I would just rather use a local cab company like you suggested and am not happy with the hotel response.

Hotels (and other service providers) sometimes will not go out of their way to help customers who book through third party sites, because they make so much less on the room.  It's unfortunate, but it happens.

Part of the reason you're seeing absurd rates is that you may be looking at rates for transfers from the airport or from Rome to the port.  Another possible reason is that you are trying to book something on line that can easily be handled in person once in country.  Only foreigners would use a booking site for a local taxi ride, so maybe the thought is .... if they're willing ...

• Like 1

The town web site (Si è cercato taxi - Città di Civitavecchia : Città di Civitavecchia) lists one phone number for local taxi service, and the same phone number appears on the Port Mobility website (Useful Numbers and Contact Information, Port of Civitavecchia | Port Mobility Civitavecchia), so I'd feel comfortable trying them.

This is something your hotel should be able to help you with once you arrive.

I would expect to pay between 10 - 20 euro for this trip, even though it is short.

• Taxis in Civitavecchia Train Station, phone number: +39 0766 26121

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am looking for recommendations to get to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise from hotel in Civitavecchia.  The rates I am seeing on-line are around ny suggestions?

You could walk? Where are you staying?  You only need to get to the port gates at Largo Della Pace

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m confused how to get to the port. We decided to stay in Civitavecchia for a night before our cruise because we have been to Rome quite a few times. Someone keeps telling me that we have to go to some drop off place that’s not the port check in. Can’t we just take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port check in? 

the problem is that taxis in Civitavecchia do not want to make this short distance. They prefer to wait under ships, passengers going to Rome, or Fiumicino airport, to earn much more. This is why the hotel does not help you, because it knows that it is very difficult to find a taxi.

I suggest you book hotels in Civitavecchia that have a shuttle service that connects with the port.

14 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I’m confused how to get to the port. We decided to stay in Civitavecchia for a night before our cruise because we have been to Rome quite a few times. Someone keeps telling me that we have to go to some drop off place that’s not the port check in. Can’t we just take a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port check in? 

The port is not open to ALL vehicles.  Even taxis.  But, taxi companies, private-hire companies, etc. CAN do whatever paperwork they need to do (and probably pay for) to permit them to drop off and pick up passengers at the cruise ships.  I suspect not all taxi companies (or individual drivers) pay to be able to do this.  Your hotel should be able to arrange a driver that CAN get you into the and drop you right at your ship.  However, if they will not/can not do this, then you need to get to the place where the port shuttle busses pick people up and transport them to the ship.  That location is called Largo della Pace.  From there, you follow signs to one of multiple busses that would drive you right to your ship, for free.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

The port is not open to ALL vehicles.  Even taxis.  But, taxi companies, private-hire companies, etc. CAN do whatever paperwork they need to do (and probably pay for) to permit them to drop off and pick up passengers at the cruise ships.  I suspect not all taxi companies (or individual drivers) pay to be able to do this.  Your hotel should be able to arrange a driver that CAN get you into the and drop you right at your ship.  However, if they will not/can not do this, then you need to get to the place where the port shuttle busses pick people up and transport them to the ship.  That location is called Largo della Pace.  From there, you follow signs to one of multiple busses that would drive you right to your ship, for free.

About 4 years ago a on budget cruiser mentioned they stayed at Hotel Smart Cruise (small and very reasonably priced hotel) and only walked about 5 minutes to the meet point.  Maybe this will be of interest to @VitaminSea53

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

• 3 weeks later...

Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal Map We walked from our AirBnb (which was pretty centrally located) to the place with the star.  There was a shuttle bus there that then took us to the other shuttle (where the picture of the bus is) which took us to the ship.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, MeHeartCruising said:

But, taxi companies, private-hire companies, etc. CAN do whatever paperwork they need to do (and probably pay for) to permit them to drop off and pick up passengers at the cruise ships.  I suspect not all taxi companies (or individual drivers) pay to be able to do this.

Not quite correct. A regular official taxi can enter the port as long as they have a fare (passenger) that is going to one of the ships. Usually the person at the checkpoint will be fine as long as the passenger affirms it but sometimes you have to show your paperwork (e.g., a boarding pass). 

Same with end of cruise pick-ups. If you have reserved a ride with a van or car, they just have to show that they legitimately have a pre-arranged fare to pick up.

What is not allowed is for taxis to enter the port on the hope of finding a fare at the terminal.

I believe this is the case for any licensed vehicle, such as a van registered to a transportation company. If it is a private (unlicensed) vehicle, that may be a different story....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiGal117 said:

Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal Map We walked from our AirBnb (which was pretty centrally located) to the place with the star.  There was a shuttle bus there that then took us to the other shuttle (where the picture of the bus is) which took us to the ship.

Walked?  Is the Taxi Rank outside the Station no longer in existence?

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Walked?  Is the Taxi Rank outside the Station no longer in existence?

We walked from our AirBnb which was closer to the first shuttle than the train station. I assume there is still a taxi rank there, but don't know this personally for this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am facing the same predicament.

We are staying in a hotel that is approx 2km from the port.
The cheapest online taxi/cab/private transfer etc I could find (and I tried alot) was €89 for 4 people (which was booking.com) I was quoted as much as €294 by some companies (and yes they were the exact trip as the km distance matched my request) .
Which in my opinion is taking the piss completely!

We will walk it no problem, and wait for the shuttle busses etc.

However I would like the option of paying around €20 and an oul tip on top (considering the location),  to get us to the pier more efficiently.

Edited by WexIrl
pier!

27 minutes ago, WexIrl said:

I am facing the same predicament.

We are staying in a hotel that is approx 2km from the port.
The cheapest online taxi/cab/private transfer etc I could find (and I tried alot) was €89 for 4 people (which was booking.com) I was quoted as much as €294 by some companies (and yes they were the exact trip as the km distance matched my request) .
Which in my opinion is taking the piss completely!

We will walk it no problem, and wait for the shuttle busses etc.

However I would like the option of paying around €20 and an oul tip on top (considering the location),  to get us to the pier more efficiently.

Take the €89, it appears to be a very good deal.  
5/6 years ago, a Taxi from the station for 4 pax with tons of luggage was €50

Look at €89 as being only €22 each to start one’s cruise with no angst, walking and dragging.

Just pay and go with the flow…..  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Take the €89, it appears to be a very good deal.  
5/6 years ago, a Taxi from the station for 4 pax with tons of luggage was €50

Look at €89 as being only €22 each to start one’s cruise with no angst, walking and dragging.

Just pay and go with the flow…..  

Thanks for the insight.

I have just mailed the hotel and see if they come back with anything. If not, I do agree with with you, for the sake of €89 bottle tops to get the ball rolling on the holiday.