"Do not drink the water"...in the Pinnacle Suite

Torquer

We just got off a cruise and stayed in the Pinnacle Suite.  On the third day of the cruise, I finally noticed a sign at a sink in the bathroom that said "Do not drink the water."  That had been after I had been brushing my teeth with the water and occasionally drinking it.  Wow, that really surprised me considering there was a glass next to the sink.  Staying in the PS is hardly like staying at a hotel in a third-world country so I never even thought it might be a problem.  We have cruised many times on HAL, and stayed in the PS on almost every HAL ship, and never noticed a sign like this on prior cruises.

For those who might not know, there are a total of 5 sinks in the PS:  2 in the master bathroom, 1 in the toilet/bidet room off the master bathroom, 1 in the guest bathroom off the foyer, and 1 in the butlers pantry.  It was the sink in the toilet/bidet room and the guest bathroom that had the signs.  The other 3 sinks did not have it.  We asked our attendant about the sign, and he gave a hazy answer about "maybe they are flushing the water lines".  Obviously that makes no sense.  I am an engineer and know a lot about building construction, and in almost all cases sinks that are close together would have a shared water supply line.  I cannot imagine why a ship would be constructed to bring non-potable water to 2 sinks while the other 3 sinks in a suite have a different water supply with potable water.  So I really don't understand what was going on here.  Any ideas?  Has anyone else seen this at any other sink in a HAL ship?

image.thumb.png.470679771ff744584320111c1913f968.png

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Could it be because of the gold or brass faucet? What ship?

It was the Noordam.  All Pinnacle Suites in the non-Pinnacle-class ships have gold-plated fixtures in the bathrooms.  Plus the other two gold-plated sinks in our suite did not have the sign.  So that is not the answer.

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

It was the sink in the toilet/bidet room and the guest bathroom that had the signs.

It is quite obvious that the faucet in the toilet/bidet room is connected to the toilet 😉 and in the guest bathroom HAL don't want guests drinking the water unless they have a Beverage Package or pay for it. 😁

• Haha 11

28 minutes ago, Torquer said:

It was the Noordam.  All Pinnacle Suites in the non-Pinnacle-class ships have gold-plated fixtures in the bathrooms.  Plus the other two gold-plated sinks in our suite did not have the sign.  So that is not the answer.

Go ask the Concierge in Neptune or use Navigator App to ask and request an answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

Any ideas?

A couple?

There was a point in time in the past where there was a water issue.  They put these small notices on all the sinks, but when it was done, they forgot to remove those three.

Someone in the last cruise who had that room was playing a joke for the next passengers and the room steward didn't catch them.

-gregma

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, gregma60 said:

Still really curious why the OP didn't ask their room steward after noticing it on the third day what was going on..??!?

I am the OP.  Read my original post again...I did ask our steward and got an answer that didn't make sense.

7 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I am the OP.  Read my original post again...I did ask our steward and got an answer that didn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense if there were labels on all the sinks from a pipe flushing (though for the most part when ships have to flush the pipes, it is still okay to drink, it just doesn't look right), and the previous occupants removed them from the sinks they used., and didn't remove them from the sinks they didn't use.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

It makes perfect sense if there were labels on all the sinks from a pipe flushing (though for the most part when ships have to flush the pipes, it is still okay to drink, it just doesn't look right), and the previous occupants removed them from the sinks they used., and didn't remove them from the sinks they didn't use.

If this were true, wouldn't the stateroom attendants then removed the sign themselves after I brought it to their attention?  Also, these looked like permanent signs with a plastic covering.  They weren't just a piece of paper taped onto the wall, which is what I might have expected if it were temporary and  needed for just one day.  I did not try to remove them.

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

You sure did!  I sincerely apologize, totally missed that part!  I'm now completely flabbergasted that 1.  The room steward didn't know, and especially 2. That the room steward didn't immediately find out and fix it!

-gregma

Edited by gregma60