How does towel check out work?

BigB67

Taking our first Royal Caribbean Cruise in May on Harmony. I was just wondering how the towel checkout process works on RCI ships? Haven't run into this before on other lines that I have sailed on, so any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Just now, BigB67 said:

Taking our first Royal Caribbean Cruise in May on Harmony. I was just wondering how the towel checkout process works on RCI ships? Haven't run into this before on other lines that I have sailed on, so any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

You go to the towel station on the pool deck, tell them how many towels you want, and they scan your sea pass card (room key). You can exchange them at the towel station any time (just say "exchanging X towels and they will give you fresh ones), and when you have no more use for them at the end of the cruise, you tell them how many you are returning and they scan your card again.

If you lose them or forget to return them, they will bill you for the towels at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

I know I am going to get blasted for this but unless you left a towel at the port, just throw the towels on the pile and tell them out many you checked out.  You didn't lose them on the ship.  Someone misplaced theirs so someone more than likely took yours so they are not charged.  The towel missing will make its way back to the pile at some point.  

I prefer Celebrity's way.....you get two beach towels in your room and if they are still in your room at cruise end, no problem.  You ask your steward if you require more.  No having to waste time and energy running up to the pool deck!

They occasionally have a bin full of towels at a station on deck 2.  Some RCCL ships I've sailed have had them.

• Like 1

Reiterating what someone else said:  I never return towels (until the end of the cruise, obviously); rather, I exchange them.  That is, I get my towels on Day 1 and exchange them, exchange them, exchange them.  

Benefits of this system:  

- My room number isn't going in /out of the computer multiple times per day, so less chance of human error. 

- I have towels in my room as early (or late) as I want -- even if the towel station is closed. 

Negatives of this system: 

- I always have a shelf full of towels in my cabin closet. I don't care, but a cabin housing 3-4 people might need that shelf for clothing.  

- I have to remember to bring them up to the pool deck.  

One more thing:  If you don't return a towel, the cost is $25.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I prefer Celebrity's way.....you get two beach towels in your room and if they are still in your room at cruise end, no problem.  You ask your steward if you require more.  No having to waste time and energy running up to the pool deck!

They occasionally have a bin full of towels at a station on deck 2.  Some RCCL ships I've sailed have had them.

I think on one of Jewel cruises towels were in the cabin when we arrived.   The reason for checkout/checkin or pay $25 is the number of towels passengers leave on the beach and don't return after going ashore. 

28 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Reiterating what someone else said:  I never return towels (until the end of the cruise, obviously); rather, I exchange them.  That is, I get my towels on Day 1 and exchange them, exchange them, exchange them.  

Benefits of this system:  

- My room number isn't going in /out of the computer multiple times per day, so less chance of human error. 

- I have towels in my room as early (or late) as I want -- even if the towel station is closed. 

- I always have a shelf full of towels in my cabin closet. I don't care, but a cabin housing 3-4 people might need that shelf for clothing.  

I do the same. Usually check out four and stick the extras on the back of the couch (there are just two of us so no one's sleeping there). Then I have extras for sink laundry, if we run out of bath towels, etc. Just make sure I keep four on hand to turn in on the last night. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Benefits of this system:  

Thanks for the idea!

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

We have been on Celebrity twice in the last 3 months and that isn’t what has happened with us.  They leave towels on all of the lounge chairs every morning.  You can also grab one and return them into the bin as much as you want.

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We have been on Celebrity twice in the last 3 months and that isn’t what has happened with us.  They leave towels on all of the lounge chairs every morning.  You can also grab one and return them into the bin as much as you want.

I just read about what I posted recently on the Celebrity board, but yes, I know they leave them on the loungers, but the person who posted said this was a new policy.  We've been on several Celebrity cruises and have one on Asent coming up and was excited about this report.  Wouldn't want to have to run up to a lounger either before going ashore.

• Like 1

And be sure to check your account BEFORE leaving the ship as sometimes you may not get credit for towels you have returned and they have charged your account $25 per towel!!

Much easier to get this taken care of while onboard!!

Just off Anthem 3/5-3/12

at the pools we showed our room key and they could tell we were booked in a suite..they just said take as many as you need and I said what time do we need to return them and the deck attendant working the towel station said suite guests don’t need to return them or worry about anything… by the 3 rd day they recognized me and never asked anything   for the rest of the cruise

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I just read about what I posted recently on the Celebrity board, but yes, I know they leave them on the loungers, but the person who posted said this was a new policy.  We've been on several Celebrity cruises and have one on Asent coming up and was excited about this report.  Wouldn't want to have to run up to a lounger either before going ashore.

That sounds great.  We just disembarked 2 weeks ago, but they always change things.😀

9 hours ago, twangster said:

It's simple.  If you see a towel on a chair left there by a chair hog feel free to grab that towel.  You can swing by the towel station and swap it for a fresh one as a added measure of safety. 

Even more easy - put 3 towels in the bin and tell them you just put in 5 - repeat as needed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:18 PM, twangster said:

It's simple.  If you see a towel on a chair left there by a chair hog feel free to grab that towel.  You can swing by the towel station and swap it for a fresh one as a added measure of safety. 

I have no problem with that.  

I saw a $25 towel charge on my portfolio and went to GS to have it corrected. I also proceeded to ask the lady if I bring back extra towels, will my account be credited $25 for each on. The lady just laughed and said "next". The pendulum swings both ways.