How many chairs fit on a regular balcony on Emerald Princess?

2011mom

I'll be cruising next year on the Emerald Princess, and my daughter decided to join my husband and me. We are in an Aloha deck balcony. I know it comes with 2 chairs and a small table, will we be able to squeeze a 3rd chair out there, maybe if we bring the table inside? It would be nice to all be on the balcony! It would cost me about $600 to upgrade to a Caribe balcony.

I'd love to get people's opinions on Caribe vs aloha and how you like those balconies, and if it's worth the extra $$. Also, we'll be transiting the Panama canal, I was thinking it might be better to be on a lower deck to be able to better see the locks, does anyone have input into that?

Any photos of these balconies would also be appreciated - including photos of what it looks like looking up and down from the balconies!

Thanks!

"Three chairs would be tight, but my question to you is where would you get the third chair?  Caribe balconies are awesome and worth every penny. "

That was my thought as well!  3 chairs should fit, IF only  you had 3 chairs! 

Aloha deck balcony is 9ft x 5ft and covered. Like you mentioned it has two chairs and a table. You would have to bring a small folding chair to fit and it would be tight. Caribe deck balconies are 9ft x 9ft and half covered.

You mention that a caribe Deck balcony is $600 additional. There are category BE (fwd) and BD (aft) on deck 10 with the larger balconies which should be the same fares as the BE and BD categories on deck 12, and actually less that cat BA and BB on deck 12. We have stayed in the BD cabins on deck 10 many times. They are nice and in a good location.

We have been through the P.C. 5 times. The best views are from the upper decks, and deck 7/8, where you can walk around get 360 degree views of the locks and canal. If you remain on your balcony you barely get a 180 degree view of one side of the canal, and you have to turn your TV to the proper channel with the volume up to hear the narration. You will not be able to see the lock gates open and shut from a side balcony. The Emerald Princess transits the new locks. It fits easily into the lock with space forward, aft and on the sides. Tugs accompany the ship to keep it centered in the lock. 

Looking up from a deck 12 balcony you will see the steel structure of the balcony on deck 14 above you. Looking down while standing at the railing you will see a little of decks 9 and 10 balconies, some portion and the water. From deck 10 looking up you see the structure of the deck 11 balcony. If standing in the uncovered part you see the ship and sky. Standing at the rail looking down you see the deck 9 balconies, a portion of the life boats and the water.

Balcony views which we always enjoy are those out to sea.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

On every Grand Class ship we have sailed on we have been in Dolphin Deck Mini-Suites with 3 people. Upon being greeted by Stewart 😉 with our glass of Champswill we always asked if it would be possible to get a third balcony chair and on every occasion one appeared. Fit nicely on those balconies which would be the same as Caribe. Aloha might be a little tight. 

We have in the past carried the desk chair onto the balcony and used that. It may be that we also carried the inside table out and a lighter weight person sat on that......It was pretty cosy for 4, but we managed.  🙄

However, I would pick the Caribe deck if given the choice.

We have also been refused an extra balcony chair in the past...but it was likely a balcony and not a mini-suite.

(Our experience was on the Ruby....but same layout...)

Just got off Emerald and had a Caribe deck balcony ( we did the bidding from window to balcony and got lucky). The balcony was large enough for a recliner and chairs with a table ( also larger than those small square ones). Loved the fact that it's half covered also.  

20 hours ago, skynight said:

You mention that a caribe Deck balcony is $600 additional. There are category BE (fwd) and BD (aft) on deck 10 with the larger balconies which should be the same fares as the BE and BD categories on deck 12, and actually less that cat BA and BB on deck 12. We have stayed in the BD cabins on deck 10 many times. They are nice and in a good location.

This cruise is the one that includes a total solar eclipse, so it is already getting pretty booked up, even though it's a year away. The lowest available balcony category on Caribe deck was B2, so that's what I picked. I got the last non-connecting port stateroom in that category! Thanks for your input - it was very helpful!

Edited by 2011mom
word