Arvia 2023 Palma Port

bee-ess

Does anyone know if the planned port stops in Palma for Arvia this summer are going to happen or not. We are due there in June but have not yet been notified of any port changes but I thought that Arvia will not be allowed to berth there due to passenger numbers ?

If anyone has had any notification of Palma being cancelled could you tell me which port has replaced it.

One ship with 5000 passengers allowed in port each day , two other smaller cruise ships. Arvia and MSC Seaview both in port the same day and MSC are embarking passengers there , Some cruises changed for Alicante , the others will be changed for that or Valencia possibly Malaga or overnight in Barcelona 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dallas16 said:

One ship with 5000 passengers allowed in port each day , two other smaller cruise ships. Arvia and MSC Seaview both in port the same day and MSC are embarking passengers there , Some cruises changed for Alicante , the others will be changed for that or Valencia possibly Malaga or overnight in Barcelona 

That was my assumption but we ve not been notified of a change yet.

1 hour ago, dallas16 said:

Not sure when they’ll change it but there are no exceptions to the rules for this year 

If you are referring to the passenger quotas then I doubt they will change it and even more ports are joining in including Barcelona and most Norwegian ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

If you are referring to the passenger quotas then I doubt they will change it and even more ports are joining in including Barcelona and most Norwegian ports.

I mean the itinerary changing as it will certainly have to change with the rules as they are now. Hopefully P&O confirm the itinerary change soon. MSC certainly won't be cancelled as Palma is a home port for Seaview 

7 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

If one is the MSC Seaview then P&O will have to alter the itinery

One of the other ships when we are due to call is Seaview, but P&O have recently added more shore excursions to 'My P&O' 😕

9 minutes ago, purplesea said:

One of the other ships when we are due to call is Seaview, but P&O have recently added more shore excursions to 'My P&O' 😕

As ships that have booked a turn around day for the season must get priority P&O seem to have a problem

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

As Palma is Seaviews home port they always have preference. Arvia and Iona will not be allowed to berth at the same time no matter what P&O say or do.If P&O are still selling shore excursions then they have the money in their account getting interest....naughty naughty!

Edited by Yorkypete
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

As Palma is Seaviews home port they always have preference. Arvia and Iona will not be allowed to berth at the same time no matter what P&O say or do.If P&O are still selling shore excursions then they have the money in their account getting interest....naughty naughty!

As far as I can see the only cruise to be affected is 30 April departure which has been changed to Alicante. All the others so far calling at Palma are still going. I do find it strange though, we are going later in the year and besides Arvia we have Seaview and Celebrity Apex in port, can't see it happening.

7 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

As far as I can see the only cruise to be affected is 30 April departure which has been changed to Alicante. All the others so far calling at Palma are still going. I do find it strange though, we are going later in the year and besides Arvia we have Seaview and Celebrity Apex in port, can't see it happening.

Arvia can't dock with Seaview in Palma, Celebrity Apex is smaller than 5000 passengers so is unaffected. P&O have to wait for the port to cancel the call 

11 minutes ago, dallas16 said:

Arvia can't dock with Seaview in Palma, Celebrity Apex is smaller than 5000 passengers so is unaffected. P&O have to wait for the port to cancel the call 

Like I said, can't see it happening along with the rest of the summer programme. Arvia is with Seaview most of the time.

38 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I agree, we need confirmation from P&O  On our cruise due to call in Palma on Arvia on June 16th there a few of the excursions Sold Out.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

I agree, we need confirmation from P&O  On our cruise due to call in Palma on Arvia on June 16th there a few of the excursions Sold Out.

As has been intimated, P&O could be waiting for confirmation of any cancellation by the port authorities before they confirm any alternative arrangements.

16 minutes ago, happy v said:

Just a thought. If one of the ships is doing changeover. The passengers won't be in the town. They will be coming or going.

But very few will be local so may stay a night or two before/after their cruise...

P&O will be waiting for the port to confirm that they cannot fulfil the contract which they entered into, otherwise it’s P&O cancelling and that costs them.

It doesn’t mean that P&O won’t already have backup plans in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, happy v said:

Just a thought. If one of the ships is doing changeover. The passengers won't be in the town. They will be coming or going

Unfortunately the rules are quite clear and state one ship with capacity of 5000 or over , no exceptions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

P&O will be waiting for the port to confirm that they cannot fulfil the contract which they entered into, otherwise it’s P&O cancelling and that costs them.

It doesn’t mean that P&O won’t already have backup plans in place.

No doubt P&O would have booked the berth a couple of more years ago, but rules only changed in last couple of years and the Balearic Government has made it clear there will be no exceptions from this year onwards. I would suggest it’s not just P&O that will be affected.

OK - been talking to a few people.

Seaview is standard capacity 4,132 and max capacity 5,110.

Arvia is standard capacity 5,200 and max capacity 6,242.

Rules state max of three ships but only one over 5,000 pax. Seaview will not sail with more than 5,000 each cruise as ships don’t sail at 120%+ capacity cruise after cruise. However when she does, she has priority over Arvia given her home port status.

P&O can either restrict sales or change port. That largely will depend on how many berths are already sold.

So yes, they can both be in port together, under the right circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4