Internet question as diamond

17 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

New to Diamond and sorry to hitchhike, but how to you access a free day of Internet on a device?  Is it done through the app?

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

When you are onboard, go to onboardicafe.com and it will show you your options and your discount. 

I've had to type it in a few times. It's the same place that should come up asking do you want to log in or use the app for free.

If you have trouble getting it set up, there is a help desk (I think it's called RC On-Line) on the ship. They will be glad to help you set it up

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you have trouble getting it set up, there is a help desk (I think it's called RC On-Line) on the ship. They will be glad to help you set it up

There is a Voom desk onboard that can assist with any internet questions/ issues. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Not sure why you are quoting me. Lol. I just type in the site if it doesnt go there automatically when I'm ready to switch to my 2 free days. .. I posted the site trying to help. 

It's faster to type in the site than to wait for the particular hours the help desk is open.

As above I wait until the last 2 or 3 days to get on. Maybe pay for part of a day, with my 2 free days discount. Sometimes when you have it set for free use for app, and then want to sign in and switch to log in ... it doesnt go to the log in site. Just type it in. 

... though on radiance wifi was pretty bad. Sure hope starlink helps whenever they get it. 

On 4/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, colesc15 said:

Next month we have our first ever 3 day cruise. My plan is to use my diamond internet day when we set sail, then use my wife's the next 24 hours, leaving us only missing one day of internet. Dumb question, but I've always bought the internet ahead of time, for that one day, basically the last day of the cruise, how do I purchase the one day of internet and use my diamond/prime status discount for the $20 or whatever it is per day?

We use cellular until the ship is ready to leave port. We take the night off from internet and then start our first free day the next morning around 10am. Your service will go until 10am the next day. Then you can skip a few hours (or more) and sign up again to use your second free voucher to get another 24 hours. This way you will not have 24/7 internet but you will have internet at least a few hours each day until you are back in port and can switch to cell service when you are docked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure why you are quoting me. Lol. I just type in the site if it doesnt go there automatically when I'm ready to switch to my 2 free days. .. I posted the site trying to help. 

It's faster to type in the site than to wait for the particular hours the help desk is open.

As above I wait until the last 2 or 3 days to get on. Maybe pay for part of a day, with my 2 free days discount. Sometimes when you have it set for free use for app, and then want to sign in and switch to log in ... it doesnt go to the log in site. Just type it in. 

... though on radiance wifi was pretty bad. Sure hope starlink helps whenever they get it. 

I quoted you because you offered a (very good) suggestion on how to solve the problem. Some people will still have an issue getting it set up so I offered another option. 

• Like 1

On any cruise the "day two" strategy can help to reduce the cost of a Voom on board full voyage plan purchase using a CAS discount.  This approach involves not doing anything on day one but using the CAS perk on day 2 or 3 (or later).  Since most cruises depart at 4pm or so, most people will have cell coverage in port on day one.  Then you go to dinner, go to a show, etc.  Do you really need to be connected using Voom on night one?  By waiting to exercise the CAS discount on day 2 or later can provide some internet for more of the cruise.

The CAS discount for D and D+ is not a percentage, rather it's a fixed amount.  You have a choice of getting a 24 hour pass OR the equivalent discount that equals the cost of a 24 hour pass that can be applied towards a full voyage plan purchased on board.

Key concepts - 24 hour pass OR a discount, not both, plus on board purchase.  The discount does not apply in advance.  

The full voyage plans drop in price based on the number of nights remaining in the cruise.  On boarding day you have the full cruise length ahead of you so the on board plans are based on the full length of the cruise.  On day two the full voyage plan drops in price since there is one less night in the remainder of the cruise.  On day 3 the full voyage plans purchased on board drop in price again since there is another day gone.   In other words the full voyage plans are prorated based on the number of nights remaining.  

The longer you wait to apply a D or D+ discount towards a full voyage plan the cheaper the full voyage plans becomes since there are fewer nights remaining.

If you just want to use the D or D+ 24 hour passes that's fine.  You are not required to purchase a full voyage plan.  Waiting until day two or later still has merit.  If you are smart using your free 24 hour passes you can start a free 24 hour pass mid-day.  That starts the clock on your 24 hours.  If you start the clock on day 2 at noon it works until day 3 at noon.  This way you get some coverage on day 2 and some coverage for day 3.  

A cruising couple each gets CAS Voom discounts.  A Diamond couple has one 24 hour pass each.  If you share the 24 hour passes you effectively get two 24 hours passes.  A D+ couple each get two 24 hours passes.  That's four 24 hour passes if shared between both of you.  Take turns logging in and logging out and share your passes, one user connected at a time.  

Edited by twangster

4 minutes ago, soremekun said:

@twangster Hmmm.  Question for you.  My wife is going to be a no show for my next Royal Cruise.  We are diamond.  Will I be able to use her free day and then buy the package the next day?

In my experience - no.  She will be taken off the manifest so she is not on the cruise.  This effectively stops her on board CAS perks.  

• Thanks 1