Why Cruise?

Yorkypete

A question which has to be asked. Recently, more or less since the middle of covid there have been many many posts on here complaining about various aspects of cruising with P&O. We have had cruises cancelled, people not being allowed to board with no refunds, food,entertainment, ports being missed, ports banning large cruise ships, itineries being changed, cabins being changed and many other complaints. A good number of people think that P&O customer services attitude is diabolical and no-one listens. We have people defending them and even a person that would appear to work for them on the forum. Prices are going up and service is coming down. With all these negatives why do people still cruise on P&O? Iona still continues to go weekly up to Norway, visiting the same ports week in week out and Med. itineries being the same weekly or fortnightly. Surely it gets boring. Cruising used to be about travelling in comfort to various countries , enjoying the life at sea whilst being able to visit other countries to see the culture and life in other ports. Now, it seems to be more about people who enjoy a floating Disneyworld or Butlins. The stress attatched to booking is getting more and more and the anxious wait to see what will change between paying and travelling is unbelievable. We pay months in advance so instead of us getting interest on our thousands the cruise line is getting millions of interest per year extra...out of our pockets. The cruiseline is above the law of the country and has its own rules and regulations which in some areas appear to be illegal, yet they have them.They are a law unto themselves basically. People on here defend them and say how wonderful they are and yet the forum is called Cruise CRITIC. Anyone who dares to criticise them is often  ridiculed  and put in their place. Some comments about cruising makes one wonder how many cruises some people have actually been on!. Anyway, why do YOU still love cruising?

• Like 3

Best value holiday by far we can book

Far cheaper than flying abroad and then staying in hotels and adding food

Different destinations when you wake up

Huge range of entertainment every night

Free cinema with upto date movies

Huge range of food all day - more than you can ever eat

Multiple cocktail bars to choose from

State of the art gymnasium and fitness classes

Special interest talks

Hi tech theatre

Staff who will go the extra mile for you

Lots of chances to walk places and get the steps in

Days at sea allow you to relax and read in amongst the activities

I've just paid 1305 pounds for two people for 3 nights dinner, bed and breakfast in the Scottish Highlands. (No balcony).

Plus I've got to drive 8 hrs both ways to get there. 

Could have had 14 nights on Arvia for 100 pounds less for 2 cruising the Mediterranean with 3 hrs drive both ways to Southampton

I must be mad!!

But will make sure we love it

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

A question which has to be asked. Recently, more or less since the middle of covid there have been many many posts on here complaining about various aspects of cruising with P&O. We have had cruises cancelled, people not being allowed to board with no refunds, food,entertainment, ports being missed, ports banning large cruise ships, itineries being changed, cabins being changed and many other complaints. A good number of people think that P&O customer services attitude is diabolical and no-one listens. We have people defending them and even a person that would appear to work for them on the forum. Prices are going up and service is coming down. With all these negatives why do people still cruise on P&O? Iona still continues to go weekly up to Norway, visiting the same ports week in week out and Med. itineries being the same weekly or fortnightly. Surely it gets boring. Cruising used to be about travelling in comfort to various countries , enjoying the life at sea whilst being able to visit other countries to see the culture and life in other ports. Now, it seems to be more about people who enjoy a floating Disneyworld or Butlins. The stress attatched to booking is getting more and more and the anxious wait to see what will change between paying and travelling is unbelievable. We pay months in advance so instead of us getting interest on our thousands the cruise line is getting millions of interest per year extra...out of our pockets. The cruiseline is above the law of the country and has its own rules and regulations which in some areas appear to be illegal, yet they have them.They are a law unto themselves basically. People on here defend them and say how wonderful they are and yet the forum is called Cruise CRITIC. Anyone who dares to criticise them is often  ridiculed  and put in their place. Some comments about cruising makes one wonder how many cruises some people have actually been on!. Anyway, why do YOU still love cruising?

Where will you go if you stop cruising?

To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure I do love cruising any more. I haven’t missed it like I thought I might have done. It’s now about 3 and a half years since I last went on a cruise, and in normal times things would have changed a lot on P&O, but the situation we have been through has accelerated the rate of change. My perception is that there’s a lot more effort involved, and I’m also not sure that P&O is right for us anymore.

we’ve now got two Saga cruises booked, and it’s very much an experiment to see what we think.

I’m probably never going to go back to the avid cruiser that I used to be, too much water under the bridge now. 

• Like 8

Same here.  Haven't cruised since October 2019, so our cruise on Aurora in October is one that has been moved 3 times.  We have also booked Fred Olsen for April 2024.  So we are going with an open mind.  I'm sure Aurora will be much as we remember.  We don't cruise on the bigger ones.  they just don't appeal.

Why do we cruise?  Don't want to fly.  Fairly easy run for us to Southampton and then the  holiday starts once you're unpacked.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure I do love cruising any more. I haven’t missed it like I thought I might have done. It’s now about 3 and a half years since I last went on a cruise, and in normal times things would have changed a lot on P&O, but the situation we have been through has accelerated the rate of change. My perception is that there’s a lot more effort involved, and I’m also not sure that P&O is right for us anymore.

we’ve now got two Saga cruises booked, and it’s very much an experiment to see what we think.

I’m probably never going to go back to the avid cruiser that I used to be, too much water under the bridge now. 

We felt the same way during covid then had our first ever self catering holiday in Feb last year which we really enjoyed, we then took a river cruise in May, again we really enjoyed. We then had our first sea cruise in July post covid and soon fell back in love with cruising so we booked again in Oct followed by a 40 night Caribbean cruise in Nov on Arcadia. We snuck in a 21 night cruise in Feb and now looking forward to our 37 night cruise in five weeks. Some things are not quite the same but no real change, certainly nothing that puts us off cruising. 

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I'll never stop cruising but possibly will sadly have to leave P&O due to the repetitive itineraries you mention. There's only so many times I want to visit Barcelona or Cadiz.  I'll still cruise the Caribbean, possibly on Britannia who I have a personal love of.  The jury is out on Iona/Arvia until I've actually tried them. If, however, more varied itineraries with new Italian ports, Croatia, Greece etc come back I'll be very happy to return. 

I have reignited my love affair with Cunard booking the 35 night Queen Mary 2 January 2025 Caribbean cruise. It will be a first as my husband is accompanying me on a cruise of more than 15 nights for the first time.  We sail the same date as Iona leaves on her first Caribbean transatlantic but interestingly the Queen was slightly cheaper.  Why did I choose her? Well the daytime offerings are more in keeping with the type of things we like, the dining is superior and our fellow passengers will hopefully be multi national and offer good company.

No land based holiday can ever replace my love of hearing the gentle hush of the waves and watching the wildlife out mid ocean.  I love the excitement I feel every time I see a ship - I have countless photographs of ships I'll never sail on - and the actual thrill of walking onboard. Nothing makes me smile more than being welcomed home every time I sail on Queen Mary 2 because that's what she is, my home away from home.  Britannia instils the same feeling, like visiting old friends who wrap you in comfort and remove the worries and horrors of the modern world.

• Like 16

Cheaper and get more than a self catering holiday.
less hassle with cases unless you are on a fly Cruise even then it’s only getting them checked in and having to wheel to the coach/truck. 
Entertainment. 
Places to visit. 
If a flight is delayed don’t have to worry about leaving the ship early. Compared to just a fly holiday you maybe stranded at the airport for how ever long. 

pretty much the same has what Interestedcruisefan said.

Have to agree with Megabear love hearing the waves. 

Family want to give Britannia a go at some point but we have ruled out trying Iona/Arvia for the time being at least.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Anyway, why do YOU still love cruising?

So damn easy! 

If the kids can't drop us off, 2 quid on the bus (🤣) gets us to Southampton. 

Can't wait for my bus pass! 

On a good day can be eating lunch onboard within an hour of leaving home.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

So damn easy! 

If the kids can't drop us off, 2 quid on the bus (🤣) gets us to Southampton. 

Can't wait for my bus pass! 

On a good day can be eating lunch onboard within an hour of leaving home.

Not having the stress of getting to airports, paying for airport parking and getting through airports both sides, flight delays and long flights  is a real advantage of cruising from Southampton that's for sure 

Huge advantage 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not having the stress of getting to airports, paying for airport parking and getting through airports both sides, flight delays and long flights  is a real advantage of cruising from Southampton that's for sure 

Huge advantage 

No weight restrictions on luggage when doing a round trip from Southampton

• Like 10

For me the title of thread should be Why cruise with P&O. We are more and more moving towards Cunard as a far better cruise experience than with P&O. Especially don't understand those that book balcony prices on Aurora/Arcadia and use the excuse of wanting a small shop experience for similar price they could cruise with Cunard and have a far better overall cruise experience.

• Like 1

I have certainly enjoyed the two post-Covid cruises I've done but don't have quite the same enthusiasm that I used to have. I think I certainly still like cruising but not sure I actually love it any more.

As most on here know, I'll only sail on the two smallest P&O ships and as far as Aurora is concerned, the experience last summer wasn't a million miles away from what it used to be. No, food isn't as good and many things have disappeared but overall, it still felt like P&O.

I guess one of the main reasons I cruise is that it is an easy & relaxed way to travel/holiday solo.

As each year passes however, I am less likely to book P&O because of the frequently-mentioned repetitive itineraries. I'm not booked for next year and probably the only thing that might appeal for 2025 is the shorter Canada round-trip, depending upon the solo fare...

• Like 5

I can relate to most of the positives mentioned above, but the biggest plus for us these days is that cruise ships are great holidays for wheelchair users. Adapted cabins are good, things like assisted embarkation are appreciated and we find that the vast majority of staff on the ship are extremely accommodating. My wife feels comfortable and safe on a cruise ship which, given all that she has to endure with her disability is a godsend. As her carer, it’s also a break for me. It’s just a shame that there’s no ability for wheelchair users to use tenders. 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

For me the title of thread should be Why cruise with P&O. We are more and more moving towards Cunard as a far better cruise experience than with P&O. Especially don't understand those that book balcony prices on Aurora/Arcadia and use the excuse of wanting a small shop experience for similar price they could cruise with Cunard and have a far better overall cruise experience.

I've been looking at Cunard recently too but the ex-Southampton itineraries are as dull as P&O's...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I can relate to most of the positives mentioned above, but the biggest plus for us these days is that cruise ships are great holidays for wheelchair users. Adapted cabins are good, things like assisted embarkation are appreciated and we find that the vast majority of staff on the ship are extremely accommodating. My wife feels comfortable and safe on a cruise ship which, given all that she has to endure with her disability is a godsend. As her carer, it’s also a break for me. It’s just a shame that there’s no ability for wheelchair users to use tenders. 

I know you're moving on to newer pastures, perhaps you could consider the Edge class Celebrity ships as they offer the special drive on/off tenders.  Apex is going to be sailing from Southampton next year, might be worth a punt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No disrespect but I've been to many many Spanish hotels in my time and seen the hotel entertainment

Pub singers, flamenco, tribute acts. Maybe a magician. The budget for entertainment will be no more than 300 pounds per night

Incomparable to what you get on a cruise

No doubt you will have an ok buffet involved. Won't be a great breakfast. 

Any speciality restaurants won't compare in terms of choice

It's Malta - you will run out of things to see and do pretty early on. No disrespect to Malta

Not the remotest chance it's better than any cruise

Sorry!!

But I'm sure you will enjoy it as you've already decided you will. So that's good

Are you confusing Malta with Malaga 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

You are mad....or very rich. We have paid just under £2000 for two weeks in a 4* Malta hotel including air fare, food and drink. A sea view room with a large balcony and guaranteed good weather.. Better than any cruise as there is entertainment included plus various trips at very cheap prices.

Re my Scottish Hotel. It was featured on amazing hotels of the world. The one with Monica Galetti. It's been on my bucket list for a while. 

And we are working 4 hrs drive from it which makes it closer than normal so we are taking the plunge. Special hotel and special location. 

So will give it a go

Don't forget I'm on inside savers when I cruise. I'm on of those strange cruisers who don't want to sit on balconies. 

I'm hyperactive on holiday!

Can't sit still for long!

Malta would bore me to bits after the first week max

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I know you're moving on to newer pastures, perhaps you could consider the Edge class Celebrity ships as they offer the special drive on/off tenders.  Apex is going to be sailing from Southampton next year, might be worth a punt.

Thanks. We haven’t ditched P&O. We are concerned about all the things that have changed since the resumption of cruising post Covid, but want to experience it for ourselves to see how it impacts on our cruise experience. We have cruises on Iona and Ventura booked for this year and will still book with P&O, but at a lower price ceiling than we have paid previously. We are booked on our first Cunard cruise next year and will book a Saga cruise when an interesting itinerary at a sensible price comes up.