Ship time

Monica887

Does NCL ship time always remain the time of your embarkation port, or does it adjust for time zone?

I'm booking an excursion not through the ship. NCL says we dock at 8am. Is that 8 am ship time or local time (local time is an hour behind - Miami to Costa Maya). Trying to figure out what time to request the pick up. 

it adheres to the local time. whenever there is a time change, you will get a card in your cabin advising you of the change and to adjust your clocks/watches accordingly.

if youre unsure of the correct time when you wake up, turn on your tv to the channel  that gives you the ship information (i think it's either 12 or 13)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, that's what I thought! 

The tour operator said something about ship time and it made me second guess. I also am pretty sure that on my last cruise, which was Carnival, there was a difference between local and ship.

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Carnival stays on home port time, unless changing makes sense (Alaska, Bermuda). Most excursion providers know when the ship arrives and will be waiting.

Ah thank you. So I HAVEN'T lost my mind! 

• Haha 1

On my cruise on the Joy last year I recall time changes, to match the time zone of the port.  On my cruise on the Bliss in October 2019 we might have had 3 time changes - two for time zone and once for DST to standard.  I'd have to go back to check the dailies I've saved to confirm.

33 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Carnival stays on home port time, unless changing makes sense (Alaska, Bermuda). Most excursion providers know when the ship arrives and will be waiting.

Fascinating, if this was a Carnival forum.

NCL is local time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Fascinating, if this was a Carnival forum.

NCL is local time. 

I'm the OP and it was a helpful response. I had previously mentioned that my last cruise was on Carnival and I thought it didn't change times. Previous poster was confirming what I suspected and why I had gotten confused. 

Most of my cruising has been on NCL, but not since the before-times. 

• Like 7

It actually depends.  Most of the time, ship time is local time.  But on rare occasions the ship will not adjust.  For example, if it's a one-day visit to a different time zone or zig-zaging back and forth between time zones.  I've been told it's up to the captain.

Ship will let you know if you need to change your clocks.

And, just as a reminder, do NOT rely on phones/tablets for the correct time - they may not update correctly while at sea.

The fun time change was last Nov - we were sailing from Canada to NYC. First night after leaving Canada it changed back one hour to  East Coast time and then the next night was the end of Daylight savings time, so it it went back another hour. Two nights in a row we got reminders in our cabins the time was going back an hour. It was a sea day, so we didn't stop at a port.

That was really confusing and crazy

Edited by genealogyfan

42 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

The fun time change was last Nov - we were sailing from Canada to NYC. First night after leaving Canada it changed back one hour to  East Coast time and then the next night was the end of Daylight savings time, so it it went back another hour. Two nights in a row we got reminders in our cabins the time was going back an hour. It was a sea day, so we didn't stop at a port.

That was really confusing and crazy

Yes, I've done a couple of cruises where DST changed - hence the caution about using phones/tablets!  Was on a cruise where some people's clocks changed, problem was that where we were going did not change.  Lots of complaints about not changing ship time yadda yadda.... totally ignoring the fact that ship time was exactly the same as local time.

• Like 1

I always used the NCL app to tell me what time ship time was on my last cruise. On a seven day cruise, the time changed four times! It changed during a sea day, at Roatan, at Belize, then on another sea day. It did not change when we went to Cozumel, even though Cozumel was a different time than ship time. 

Goooooood luck! 

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Sorry, the OP mentioned cruising on Carnival and not having time changes, so was clarifying.

It sounded better in my head when I typed my snarky response, please accept my apologies. 

I just disembarked a 7 night western Caribbean cruise on the Joy, seems we changed time 3-4 times.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

Just off the Bliss and we did not change times for the one-day time change in Puerto Vallarta.  First time on NCL that I haven't - but the answer of "it depends" is correct.  I kept my watch on ship time and tried to ignore the local time - but it did mix us up a bit when our private excursion was meeting on local time. Too much thinking with the drink package and I like it much better when the ship changes time.