Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Probably NL bank debit cards only. I noticed in Europe there were many ATMs that were actually banking machines that you had to have a certain bank's debit card.

Stores are worse, I came off a cruise a few weeks back and my credit card was hacked so all I had left was cash which majority of places weren't taking or my bank card which stores again wouldn't take.

I ended up buying a sandwich for dinner at a pharmacy as that's the only place I found that took cash 😅

I think I need a second credit card for traveling, I was trying to limit the cards for debt reasons but that's was not a good scenario to be in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Agreed. I think for us we will take the tram embarkation day since our Rotterdam hotel is a couple of blocks from Central Station in the direction of the pier, so it makes more sense to take the street tram. At disembarkation looks like the Metro is a better option, especially if you need to go to Central station.

Edit: There's a Metro stop right at our Rotterdam hotel (Holiday Inn Express) so we might just take the Metro both ways to/from the pier!

2nd Edit: Looks like streetcar is closer to hotel,lol

Ahhh.... I can understand.    I was just heading for Rotterdam CS and it was fastest via the Subway. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

What types of dishes are they serving that's not appealing to you?

So far all we have discovered are Indonesian, Indian, Turkish and Hamburger places.   We will be checking more out tomorrow.

We were so in the mood for just a good home cooked hamburger which was the reason for our grocery shopping,   Cereal, Milk, Bread, Butter, Hagen Dazs and a beautiful Hamburger -   best translation was Ground Tartar -   I think it was ground steak... very yummy and virtually no fat.  

After eating out for 5 weeks it was just nice to eat in front of the TV.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Stores are worse, I came off a cruise a few weeks back and my credit card was hacked so all I had left was cash which majority of places weren't taking or my bank card which stores again wouldn't take.

I ended up buying a sandwich for dinner at a pharmacy as that's the only place I found that took cash 😅

I think I need a second credit card for traveling, I was trying to limit the cards for debt reasons but that's was not a good scenario to be in

Jeannette

I've been using Apple Pay so routinely all over the world so was surprised.   I asked our host and should be back to me tomorrow.   He is away in France on Business.  

We are going to check out a different store tomorrow.  We have plenty of Euros so not a problem.

• Like 1

Have loved your adventures so far.  But this is the leg that I'm looking forward to.  We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in September as a starting point for a small group tour from Amsterdam to Paris.  Looking forward to any recommendations for dinner, tours, etc.   Will be going to both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum as part of the tour.  Would like to visit the Ann Frank House also.  Anything else you can recommend would be fantastic.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Apple Product on Apex -   I mentioned earlier that Apex had a full supply of new Apple Product.   Just before I disembarked I noticed they now also have AirPods.    As I was just walking off the ship couldn't find out which model or models.     Will check in a week.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jeannette

I've been using Apple Pay so routinely all over the world so was surprised.   I asked our host and should be back to me tomorrow.   He is away in France on Business.  

We are going to check out a different store tomorrow.  We have plenty of Euros so not a problem.

Probably good to ask, I feel like it was a communication issue. American Express is harder to take but never seen issues in Europe with Visa and Apple pay is widely accepted.

Heck Apple was easier to take than the cash when I out running low on payment options.

1 minute ago, mduffy1834 said:

Have loved your adventures so far.  But this is the leg that I'm looking forward to.  We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in September as a starting point for a small group tour from Amsterdam to Paris.  Looking forward to any recommendations for dinner, tours, etc.   Will be going to both the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum as part of the tour.  Would like to visit the Ann Frank House also.  Anything else you can recommend would be fantastic.  Enjoy!

We have been to Ann Frank's home a number of times.   Long before they required reservations.   You use to be able to just walk up and go in.   It is definitely worth a visit. 

On Friday we are going Vienna Philharmonic at Condertgebouw,   Iain had studied music at the Royal Academy and use to play with the BBC Orchestra so is always into Classics.   I don't know the schedule and just show up.    My task is to find a nice place for dinner.   

We will of course take Alex and Evelyn on a Canal Trip - no need to book one in advance just walk up to any instead you want a dinner or drinks experience. 

Not sure of the day but also already have tickets for Keukenhof Tulip Fields -  They should be at their peek as the tulips in Amsterdam are beautiful. 

We may send them to the Museums.    I love them but after awhile get burnt out with museums and churches.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

So far all we have discovered are Indonesian, Indian, Turkish and Hamburger places.   We will be checking more out tomorrow.

We were so in the mood for just a good home cooked hamburger which was the reason for our grocery shopping,   Cereal, Milk, Bread, Butter, Hagen Dazs and a beautiful Hamburger -   best translation was Ground Tartar -   I think it was ground steak... very yummy and virtually no fat.  

After eating out for 5 weeks it was just nice to eat in front of the TV.

Hi Jim, long time follower but don’t post a lot. Last time we were in Amsterdam, stayed in the museum district and walked to The Pantry-“home cooking” traditional Dutch food. It was excellent!

We have been to Ann Frank's home a number of times.   Long before they required reservations.   You use to be able to just walk up and go in.   It is definitely worth a visit. 

On Friday we are going Vienna Philharmonic at Condertgebouw,   Iain had studied music at the Royal Academy and use to play with the BBC Orchestra so is always into Classics.   I don't know the schedule and just show up.    My task is to find a nice place for dinner.   

We will of course take Alex and Evelyn on a Canal Trip - no need to book one in advance just walk up to any instead you want a dinner or drinks experience. 

Not sure of the day but also already have tickets for Keukenhof Tulip Fields -  They should be at their peek as the tulips in Amsterdam are beautiful. 

We may send them to the Museums.    I love them but after awhile get burnt out with museums and churches.  

Sounds like great plans! What  instrument did Iain play.? Very exciting...

For me the tulips will be the show stoppers!

• Like 1

Jim you indicated that you got a pass for the Amsterdam GVB bus/tram/subway. Can you tell me if you purchased the actual card pass or using the phone app pass? I have read that there were issues with the phone app not working great but I think that was when it was first rolled out.

8 hours ago, Bfb832cc said:

Hi Jim, long time follower but don’t post a lot. Last time we were in Amsterdam, stayed in the museum district and walked to The Pantry-“home cooking” traditional Dutch food. It was excellent!

Thanks ever so much and the Menu looks fantastic.   Unfortunately I can tell we are going to have a hard time as it is already fully booked for Thursday and Friday.     We may try to get in for lunch.

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Sounds like great plans! What  instrument did Iain play.? Very exciting...

For me the tulips will be the show stoppers!

He majored in Percussion and plays, Piano, Xylophone, Symbols and Kettle Drum.   When with BBC he played Kettle Drums and Symbols with occasional Bells and Xylophone.    Thank God he gave up the Kettle Drums.  

He also plays Violin and Piano.    We use to have a Concert Grand that took up some major real estate in our Living Room so we sold it.  He still has a Electronic Yamaha Piano down in the office that he plays daily (with blue tooth headphones)   I do ask him to unplug and let me enjoy the music.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

https://dekloscafe.wordpress.com/  Cafe de Klos

And the Keukenhof gardens are a feast to the eyes and soul.

Thanks much...  Will check it out on our walks...  They are reviewed as a carnivore's paradise.    The pictures and reviews I pulled up look incredible.  Will have to check out as their website doesn't seem to have a reservation on line ability.

6 hours ago, haynesra said:

Jim you indicated that you got a pass for the Amsterdam GVB bus/tram/subway. Can you tell me if you purchased the actual card pass or using the phone app pass? I have read that there were issues with the phone app not working great but I think that was when it was first rolled out.

We used the phone app for the trains we took but had to get the card pass for the multiday as they only sell a 5 day via the app.    It worked perfect on the phone when we used it.    Only slight effort is I booked both on one reservation so had to swipe to get the second QR Code.   We probably could have gotten the 7 day as we didn't use at all yesterday and will be getting a Uber SUV to the port.

The agent said the app works really good and suggested it for the 3-4 day pass we will need for Iain's sister and BIL.   

• Thanks 1

He majored in Percussion and plays, Piano, Xylophone, Symbols and Kettle Drum.   When with BBC he played Kettle Drums and Symbols with occasional Bells and Xylophone.    Thank God he gave up the Kettle Drums.  

He also plays Violin and Piano.    We use to have a Concert Grand that took up some major real estate in our Living Room so we sold it.  He still has a Electronic Yamaha Piano down in the office that he plays daily (with blue tooth headphones)   I do ask him to unplug and let me enjoy the music.

Quite versatile.. I gave up playing violin in college but I love the strings..  Always had an upright piano for anyone who cared to play but dtr  switched to the cello.  DH was a drummer ..just the typical high school / college bands.  ..Can't wait to see what the grandsons will choose.  

Hope you enjoy the concert  and the tulips

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Obviously people reserve, but don’t turn up.🙈

Definitely a way to make sure you are serious.  They also have a waitlist.   Obviously a very popular place.   Small and quaint place. 

If the option that @WrittenOnYourHeart described doesn’t exist I will show a great free Google App.   I’m using the hotspot in our flat while Iain is using my hotspot with VPN to have our YouTube believe we are in SF. He automatically show English due to auto location control. 

Ok.  Jim stop chatting. 

Google Translate. Just point at anything you want translate - even signs or had written or will translate spoken words. 

IMG_4193.thumb.jpeg.e901e6f51fe6d44bab816fea9b59ddfa.jpeg

IMG_4192.thumb.png.074f086c7c89e3a51ddcdf69be8d17a3.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1