Did Princess do away with the Elite discount on internet?

butternut1

29 minutes ago, NVanHiker said:

This question probably shows my general ignorance, but I'm taking a laptop - my 'one device'. Am I still entitled to use a terminal in the Internet cafe occasionally (I'll bet the connection is better!), or would that count as another device?

Contrary to the logic of "it should be better in the Internet Cafe"...it is NOT! Those computers are served via the same wireless service as all passenger devices. This comes straight from a direct question to the staff.

• Like 1

Interesting. My thinking was that, as in your house, reception varies - e.g. reception in my inside cabin might not be as good as in a room dedicated to computers. I sure like the 'one device at a time' option, though! I can see swapping among phone, laptop, and maybe enjoying the big monitor in the cafe for paging through email or banking.

3 minutes ago, NVanHiker said:

Interesting. My thinking was that, as in your house, reception varies - e.g. reception in my inside cabin might not be as good as in a room dedicated to computers. I sure like the 'one device at a time' option, though! I can see swapping among phone, laptop, and maybe enjoying the big monitor in the cafe for paging through email or banking.

I've had the problem with less than good service in an inside cabin.  If i have a lot to read or lookup, I will use the internet cafe computers.  You can also use the printers in the internet cafe. So far since the return to cruising, I haven't been charged for using the printer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

2 questions: per day price / is elite discount still applicable when buying by the day? I might just need 6 days on a 21 day cruise (5 + 16 b2b)

Yes I could Google it but that returned a per day cost of $9.99 & that's wrong

It's correct. When buying by the day, not for the entire cruise, the price is $20. Your elite discount is half off. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

2 questions: per day price / is elite discount still applicable when buying by the day? I might just need 6 days on a 21 day cruise (5 + 16 b2b)

It's correct. When buying by the day, not for the entire cruise, the price is $20. Your elite discount is half off. 

So it's $10 a day. I misstated. Google says $9.99 a day THEN take 50% off if elite. Great that it works out to $10 pd. Just buying for the days i need. I like unplugging but there aren't enough port days to completely log off

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

All MedallionNet orders are subject to 50% discount if guest qualifies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

So it's $10 a day. I misstated. Google says $9.99 a day THEN take 50% off if elite. Great that it works out to $10 pd. Just buying for the days i need. I like unplugging but there aren't enough port days to completely log off

Google might have returned you some old info and it could also be the old per-day quote when booking for the entire voyage as the old price was $10/day.  I don't play their stupid 99-cent game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

I've had the problem with less than good service in an inside cabin.

I have found that propping the cabin door to the hallway open an inch or two greatly increases the Internet signal level inside the cabin.

The old Princess coupon book used to be very good for that, but now that it is digital you need to use something else.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

Google is probably outdated.  We just disembarked this past Sunday, and this is current info.

• Thanks 1

Using the Medallion App, it shows that I can purchase the internet for my upcoming 20 day cruise at an "elite" price of $150.00 or $7.50 per day.  So it would appear that they are charging a higher daily rate if you purchase a day at a time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Using the Medallion App, it shows that I can purchase the internet for my upcoming 20 day cruise at an "elite" price of $150.00 or $7.50 per day.  So it would appear that they are charging a higher daily rate if you purchase a day at a time.

They do. If you purchase for the duration, $7.50 a day for elite/platinum.  Choose your days, and it's $10 per day.

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

And I'm fine with paying a higher rate. On the b2b I only need it maybe 6 days instead of 21

In order to get decent news coverage I really need Wi-Fi every day. The TV does not have any real news just opinion

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:44 PM, remydiva said:

Do you need to sign up at Internet cafe ie when it’s staffed? This is our first cruise without free Elite wifi so I plan only to buy a day here or there.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:07 PM, Ombud said:

The price onboard to buy a day here or there is 10.00, if you get the discount. I was surprised and expected to pay 7.50. So many people posted it was the same price and it is, if you buy it for the whole cruise. I just got off the Crown yesterday, so this is current information. If I bought a few days in, until the end of the cruise, it would have been at the discounted price. Something to think about, if you only need it a few days at the end. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...