Are formal nights returning?

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Just make sure you do not walk across any subway ventilation shafts and get a "Marilyn Monroe" photograph!

🤢

Now THAT would be deeply disturbing to some, many, oh hell, all!

35 minutes ago, Longhorn Cruiser said:

A button-down is any shirt with regular buttons on the front and two more buttons on each side of the collar. The buttons on the collar are meant to hold the collars down. You can wear them on both formal and less formal occasions.

That sounds like a regular shirt to me 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

That sounds like a regular shirt to me 🤷‍♂️

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/button-down

button-down

1 of 2

adjective

but·ton-down ˈbə-tᵊn-ˌdau̇n 

a
of a collar : having the ends fastened to the garment with buttons
b of a shirt
(1)
: having a button-down collar
(2)
: having buttons from the collar to the waist

or buttoned-down   : conservatively traditional or conventional
especially : adhering to conventional norms in dress and behavior
button-down businessmen

button-down

2 of 2

noun

: a shirt with a button-down collar
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ClaireA1978 said:

Please can I ask where you can see the cruise compass? I too sail 30/04 but on IOS

I have the Royal App on my iPhone (I have Iphone 11, pretty old version). I have my cruise added to the app. From the App Home page, click on Daily Planner and the activities are listed day by day. For our April 30 cruise, day 1 and day 2 seem pretty complete. It may vary by cruise.

10 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

I have the Royal App on my iPhone (I have Iphone 11, pretty old version). I have my cruise added to the app. From the App Home page, click on Daily Planner and the activities are listed day by day. For our April 30 cruise, day 1 and day 2 seem pretty complete. It may vary by cruise.

yes don't think they have planned ours yet as it doesnt mention anything about the evenings yet. I will keep checking though thanks for the heads up

11 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Tuxedos required for men?

Not in the 50 years we have been cruising - but you used to see quite a few on formal nights. I stopped packing my tux 7-8 years ago when the number of men in tuxes really dwindled to a hand full. Still see a few on recent cruises, but most of them are on older men.

• Like 1

We sailed on Enchantment five times in the last 14 months. On all of those cruises there were two Formal nights, with an additional Dress to Impress on one or two of the longer ones. A fair amount of participation.

Edited by shipgeeks
add

had the good fortune some time ago  to meet douglas cramer the producer of the great series "LOVE BOAT". I thanked him for the fun show that my wife and I still enjoy watching the reruns....We, like so many cruisers quit doing the tux/formal gown thing years ago, but we still take a sport coat for me and a dressy top or dress for my beautiful wife....Living in florida, we don't get too many opps to get a little dressed up and to be honest it makes us feel good.....with all that is going on in this country today, feeling good on a cruise is a blessing.

• Like 4

Regarding formal nights, we don't go "all out" DH wears a sports jacket and I'm in a summer dress. But this'll be our first cruise out of Southampton, I'm wondering if the UK folk take formal nights more seriously than we do in American ports?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ret MP said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/button-down

button-down

1 of 2

adjective

but·ton-down ˈbə-tᵊn-ˌdau̇n 

a
of a collar : having the ends fastened to the garment with buttons
b of a shirt
(1)
: having a button-down collar
(2)
: having buttons from the collar to the waist

or buttoned-down   : conservatively traditional or conventional
especially : adhering to conventional norms in dress and behavior
button-down businessmen

button-down

2 of 2

noun

: a shirt with a button-down collar

@Billy Baltic, thank you for taking my dictionary cut and paste as intended, humor! 

• Like 1

I've only worn a tux 3 times in my life.  When I got married and when my 2 kids did likewise.  In my early days of sailing on the Oceanic and the Italian lines, I wore a black business suit and a bow tie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I've only worn a tux 3 times in my life.  When I got married and when my 2 kids did likewise.  In my early days of sailing on the Oceanic and the Italian lines, I wore a black business suit and a bow tie.

Me, never have.  However, in the Army, if we attended a super formal event, if we didn't want to purchase the Eisenhower uniform, tails, Blues, or whatever, we would replace the Four Hand Tie with a Bow Tie and a white button-down shirt.  That's old school, however.  Wish I could still fit into my old uniform, I'd consider wearing it to formal night(s).  I always felt proud in uniform.  Other than that, formal doesn't exist in my life anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Reading this thread made me look at some of our old cruise pics.. Hubby and son looked great in their formals 🙂DSCF0007.thumb.JPG.d291543fa43c918c1d2ecb99e1755782.JPG 

Looking Good  !

I hear the James Bond theme running through my head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Me, never have.  However, in the Army, if we attended a super formal event, if we didn't want to purchase the Eisenhower uniform, tails, Blues, or whatever, we would replace the Four Hand Tie with a Bow Tie and a white button-down shirt.  That's old school, however.  Wish I could still fit into my old uniform, I'd consider wearing it to formal night(s).  I always felt proud in uniform.  Other than that, formal doesn't exist in my life anymore. 

Many on formal night wear Kilts.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, bucfan2 said:

🍕 ,  🍦 and 🍿 this time.

I just have to say...I totally agree.  One time I expressed what "WE" like to do on these nights and I thought people were going to assainate me.  I learned my lesson.  Expect to be attacked on CC.  Not going to stop me from posting what I want to.

15 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Reading this thread made me look at some of our old cruise pics.. Hubby and son looked great in their formals 🙂DSCF0007.thumb.JPG.d291543fa43c918c1d2ecb99e1755782.JPG 

Yeah and I bet they hated every minute they were in those penguin suits.   
im sure you made them wear them lol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

Yeah and I bet they hated every minute they were in those penguin suits.   
im sure you made them wear them lol.  

Haha, my son thought it was the best thing ever looking so grown up and just like Dad..

• Like 5