Internet and Cell Phone questions

Turk1

Wait, if you buy surf and stream you need to put your phone on airplane mode all week??  I just want to text and surf the internet with my iPhone.  Do I really want to be in airplane mode?  I though airplane mode meant you CAN'T connect to any internet.  What am I not understanding?  I don't care about actually CALLING anyone, just texting people (both people on the cruise with me and people back home) with other iPhones and surfing.

6 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Wait, if you buy surf and stream you need to put your phone on airplane mode all week??  I just want to text and surf the internet with my iPhone.  Do I really want to be in airplane mode?  I though airplane mode meant you CAN'T connect to any internet.  What am I not understanding?  I don't care about actually CALLING anyone, just texting people (both people on the cruise with me and people back home) with other iPhones and surfing.

Turn wifi calling on with airplane mode.  This allows you to call and TEXT via the wifi when airplane mode.  

12 hours ago, Katems75 said:

I though airplane mode meant you CAN'T connect to any internet

Yes, on Android phones airplane mode will turn off the Internet.  You need the extra step to turn WiFi and WiFi calling back on.  I'm pretty sure Apple is the same.

You cannot connect to cellular service. You still can use WiFi or LAN.

Even if you do not use your phone, but it is on and not in Airplane Mode your apps can and will most likely try to connect to internet.

... Do I really want to be in airplane mode?  I though airplane mode meant you CAN'T connect to any internet.  What am I not understanding?...

Not sure about iPhone, but on Android airplane mode is a convenient way to turn off data, WiFi, and Bluetooth (other connections?).  Then, you can turn WiFi back on to connect to the Internet.