Passport

Misty9388

49 minutes ago, Misty9388 said:

My passport has my previous last name on it, Will this cause me any issues? 

The name on your passport has to match the name on your reservation. If you're changing your name due to a recent marriage then typically an individual would make their reservation in their prior name even though it doesn't match their spouse's last name on the reservation. Then they'd get a passport in their new name after the cruise when there's adequate time to do so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The name on your passport has to match the name on your reservation. If you're changing your name due to a recent marriage then typically an individual would make their reservation in their prior name even though it doesn't match their spouse's last name on the reservation. Then they'd get a passport in their new name after the cruise when there's adequate time to do so.

And many women will keep their maiden names for cultural or professional reasons. 

1 hour ago, Philob said:

And many women will keep their maiden names for cultural or professional reasons. 

Yes, but if that were the case for the OP there wouldn't be the issue of the passport name not matching the name on the cruise reservation since they wouldn't be changing their name due to marriage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, but if that were the case for the OP there wouldn't be the issue of the passport name not matching the name on the cruise reservation since they wouldn't be changing their name due to marriage.

OP doesn’t say the name change was due to marriage.

Maybe they entered the witness protection program 😳

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Nor did I say the name change was due to marriage. In both of my posts, the first in direct reply to the OP, and the second in reply to @Philob, I used the word "if".

Hopefully this cruise is a closed loop sailing, and that your current driver's license matches the name you booked the cruise under.  If this is the case, I would bring along your gov't issued birth certificate (city, county or state issued).

As long as it is a closed loop cruise, and your first and middle name, along with your date of birth on your DL, matches up with your birth certificate, you should be fine.  Check-in agents handle travel ID documents all the time where women have changed their last name due to a marriage.  As long as we can see the same first, middle name and date of birth is the same with the photo ID, it's all good.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hopefully this cruise is a closed loop sailing, and that your current driver's license matches the name you booked the cruise under.  If this is the case, I would bring along your gov't issued birth certificate (city, county or state issued).

As long as it is a closed loop cruise, and your first and middle name, along with your date of birth on your DL, matches up with your birth certificate, you should be fine.  Check-in agents handle travel ID documents all the time where women have changed their last name due to a marriage.  As long as we can see the same first, middle name and date of birth is the same with the photo ID, it's all good.

Did you read an earlier post that said what if it was due to entering a witness protection program? I bet you do not get tp deal with that issue very often. 😒 

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Did you read an earlier post that said what if it was due to entering a witness protection program? I bet you do not get tp deal with that issue very often. 😒 

16 hours ago, klfrodo said:

@ontheweb, oh my friend, you did give me a good laugh!

Last season I did have a passenger who had recently changed their name, and had their court approval documents to explain the difference between the booking name and their passport (which hadn't been updated yet).  It was one of those name changes from say, John Q Smith to World Peace.  Since you usually ask, I did have my supervisor look at it and say that it was fine.

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@ontheweb, oh my friend, you did give me a good laugh!

Last season I did have a passenger who had recently changed their name, and had their court approval documents to explain the difference between the booking name and their passport (which hadn't been updated yet).  It was one of those name changes from say, John Q Smith to World Peace.  Since you usually ask, I did have my supervisor look at it and say that it was fine.

I knew you were going to say, time to call my supervisor. 🤣

Lucky that this is not like calling a cruise line and getting the response when asking for a supervisor that either they are all busy or none of them are there now. 

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Maybe that's what the recent article about a family choosing to live on a cruise ship is really about!😁 You probably have to be a pretty high-level witness to get the cruise ship relocation program.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I knew you were going to say, time to call my supervisor. 🤣

Lucky for me I don't have any ego in this job.  I know enough to know when to have another set of eyes look at something.  When it comes to travel ID documents I don't mess around.  Luckily, I usually only have to ask about 1-2% of the time, and I can answer most questions from my co-workers.  It's just those really rare situations that I turn for help. 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:01 PM, Misty9388 said:

My passport has my previous last name on it, Will this cause me any issues? 

Only if you booked a cruise using your current last name; or if you are going on a closed loop cruise and do not have other ID and birth certificate.  The chances are pretty good  that (as a CC poster) you do not really need to show your passport.

This is highly likely if you are sailing Carnival Sunshine.

Edited by navybankerteacher

• 1 month later...

More innocent reasons for name changes:  Divorce, Adoption, Gender Transition, Career enhancement.

If going on a cruise reveals your witness protection status better stay home (and alive) but check with your supervisor on that. LOL