I feel cheated by cruising opportunities in Australia

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Or that it's more cost effective to cruise it. Plus much, much less hassle - unpack once, no worries about where to find breakfast/lunch/dinner, where to do your laundry, etc. But on the other hand you see a lot less from a ship.

I loved flying around staying a week at each place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I loved flying around staying a week at each place.

I'd love to do a full road trip around Australia, staying a few days at each stop, but Rolf isn't keen on the idea. He doesn't really like long distance driving whereas I love it.

If the Sydney winter ends up as bad as it was last year I might drag him off on a long Queensland road trip. Either that or a Carnival cruise. I'm not sure which he'd go for. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'd love to do a full road trip around Australia, staying a few days at each stop, but Rolf isn't keen on the idea. He doesn't really like long distance driving whereas I love it.

If the Sydney winter ends up as bad as it was last year I might drag him off on a long Queensland road trip. Either that or a Carnival cruise. I'm not sure which he'd go for. 🤣

It is long, long way to drive right around Australia. We have done it a couple of times, plus other long trips like the East coast and the Stuart Highway down the Centre. We enjoyed those trips, but wouldn't do it again. There is a long way between attractions on many of Australia's highways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The multiple languages would drive me nuts! One extra language is bearable but any more is tedious.

When we cruised to Antarctica we were on Ponant (long story - very late booking so not much availability). Main language was French, then announcements in English. Lectures really showed the limitations many of the staff/crew had as there were 2 streams and the English ones were dreadful. It was quite a wake up call to be on a ship where English was not the main language.

1 minute ago, Aussieflyer said:

When we cruised to Antarctica we were on Ponant (long story - very late booking so not much availability). Main language was French, then announcements in English. Lectures really showed the limitations many of the staff/crew had as there were 2 streams and the English ones were dreadful. It was quite a wake up call to be on a ship where English was not the main language.

On Hurtigruten, they had separate lectures for English and German speakers.  On MSC, In addition to all the dfferent languages, it was difficult to understand the English speakers for things like trivia.  When there was a mini mutiny on board with passengers not following directions, I knew I'd never want to be on a ship with many different languages in a real emergency.  I haven't cruised with them since (2010). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My younger daughter is currently driving around Australia in a van.  She fell in love with SA, the Nullarbor and SW WA.  She

said there was so much to see and do along her route, she could have spent twice as long.
Australia is a big beautiful country best savoured at a slower pace.   I flew around Australia once on an air pass but always dreamt about driving around.  We have driven the bottom half.  

We took a year off work and a year off school for the kids and drove around this beautiful country. Special times.  Still much to see though.

31 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

We're doing a couple of cruises in Japan in November. One is Princess which I think will have quite a few locals so announcements in two languages, the other is Regent Seven Seas which may not have many locals, probably mostly Americans and a mad bunch of Aussies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tripmode33 said:

We took a year off work and a year off school for the kids and drove around this beautiful country. Special times.  Still much to see though.

What age were your children?  What a wonderful experience for your family,  We did the same with our girls but we went overseas.  It was the best thing we ever did as a family.  We have only driven to Kalbarri WA and back along the south from Queensland.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I disagree that cruises were heavily discounted this season. Certainly the Princess restart cruises, from June until early October, were priced below normal, presumably to entice passengers back on to the ships after the bad publicity at the beginning of the pandemic and concerns over whether Covid would spread out of control on cruises. But the peak season fares were similar to pre-Covid fares as far as I could see. 

Perhaps they were referring to the Queensland offerings on Luminosa. To fill the ship we took up a few amazing offers - balcony and suite - at about $30 per day with generous obc. I don't think we'll see those offers next season.

Just now, Tripmode33 said:

Perhaps they were referring to the Queensland offerings on Luminosa. To fill the ship we took up a few amazing offers - balcony and suite - at about $30 per day with generous obc. I don't think we'll see those offers next season.

I got a great deal on Luminosa with no single supplement on a balcony cabin.  They had to offer special reduced prices because they didn't advertise in advance and locals weren't familiar with Luminosa. 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

What age were your children?  What a wonderful experience for your family,  We did the same with our girls but we went overseas.  It was the best thing we ever did as a family.  We have only driven to Kalbarri WA and back along the south from Queensland.  

Our children were still in primary school. Amazing experience. A year off tv and technology did wonders for bonding as a family, and set them up to value the natural wonders of this land.

Your overseas experience would have been wonderful too.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I got a great deal on Luminosa with no single supplement on a balcony cabin.  They had to offer special reduced prices because they didn't advertise in advance and locals weren't familiar with Luminosa. 

Yes, the lack of single supplements were a very welcome surprise for many.

3 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

That could have been it. Carnival sometimes have some amazing offers. We scored an aft Vista Suite once at about the same price as a balcony cabin. It was the first time we'd had a suite and we couldn't believe how big the balcony was - we could have held a party for fifty people on it!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That could have been it. Carnival sometimes have some amazing offers. We scored an aft Vista Suite once at about the same price as a balcony cabin. It was the first time we'd had a suite and we couldn't believe how big the balcony was - we could have held a party for fifty people on it!

Yes, we had a corner aft suite with wrap around balcony. I could do my morning walking exercise without leaving our own balcony. Huge!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Yes, we had a corner aft suite with wrap around balcony. I could do my morning walking exercise without leaving our own balcony. Huge!

Huge is almost an understatement! That was the type of suite we had too. 

Now if only we'd had the equivalent of the Princess medallion app to order drinks on. We would have only left the suite for meals then. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was really looking forward to Virgin Voyages making Melbourne their home port for a season in Australia from December this year.

Unfortunately their itineraries are pretty much the same as all the others and while the ship Resilient Lady may be wonderful with great dining, an uninspiring itinerary is a waste of a good ship

5 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I was really looking forward to Virgin Voyages making Melbourne their home port for a season in Australia from December this year.

Unfortunately their itineraries are pretty much the same as all the others and while the ship Resilient Lady may be wonderful with great dining, an uninspiring itinerary is a waste of a good ship

Where else did you expect them to go? As has been stated earlier there are actually a limited number of viable ports in our region so of course their itineraries aren't going to differ from other cruise lines. They can't just create new ports out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

You should see the crap itineraires that have out of Melbourne for the summer season. Boring as hell. There hardly any runs to pacific islands.  I'm waiting for the pricing to drop a little bit on Virgin cruises.

Edited by icat2000

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Have a look at the number of ports on this cruise on ms Zaandam for 25 nights NEW ENGLAND, CANADA,AND ICELAND.  $US $3499 Ocean View.  

Yes, I'm green with envy.  This is the real reason people aren't cruising more in Australia.  Whoever is in charge of cruise itineraries from Australia needs a wake up call and they are getting it!! 

Do the cruise. If that cruise jumps out at you, why not do that one instead of wishing other cruises were like it? The Aussie site version is showing as $AU 7349pp, but that will include taxes. 😉

Where else are we to go. Some of the Pacific stops haven't reopened after the pandemic, others like some of the Tahiti stops are not letting large ships call any longer, and we still have a hangover that long cruises here still return to port with a shipload of covid. This time last year there was nothing here and I also recall winter cruising here with one ship based in Brisbane and one in Sydney, and it was just how it was. Once you got hooked into cruising, it was time to fly overseas to experience new ships, new ports and new cultures.

There is every opportunity for NCL or Royal to come here during the winter and ruffle Carnival Australia's nest. They won't though, because it will be a financial flop. If you want to do a real cruise in winter, fly to the Northern hemisphere which is where more than 95% of the worlds cruise options lie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Do the cruise. If that cruise jumps out at you, why not do that one instead of wishing other cruises were like it? The Aussie site version is showing as $AU 7349pp, but that will include taxes. 😉

Where else are we to go. Some of the Pacific stops haven't reopened after the pandemic, others like some of the Tahiti stops are not letting large ships call any longer, and we still have a hangover that long cruises here still return to port with a shipload of covid. This time last year there was nothing here and I also recall winter cruising here with one ship based in Brisbane and one in Sydney, and it was just how it was. Once you got hooked into cruising, it was time to fly overseas to experience new ships, new ports and new cultures.

There is every opportunity for NCL or Royal to come here during the winter and ruffle Carnival Australia's nest. They won't though, because it will be a financial flop. If you want to do a real cruise in winter, fly to the Northern hemisphere which is where more than 95% of the worlds cruise options lie.

It was just wishful dreaming.  I do recognise that not all South Pacific islands are open for cruise ships.  However, they are not suitable for big ships.  

(I remember touring Alaska by ferry when up to five big ships would arrive in the port.  Many passengers would queue to get back on board for lunch.  These ports became different places when the big ships left each afternoon,)  

I enjoyed my cruise north on Luminosa to Port Douglas and t would love to repeat the same cruise in winter.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 6:42 AM, MMDown Under said:

Have a look at the number of ports on this cruise on ms Zaandam for 25 nights NEW ENGLAND, CANADA,AND ICELAND.  $US $3499 Ocean View.  

Yes, I'm green with envy.  This is the real reason people aren't cruising more in Australia.  Whoever is in charge of cruise itineraries from Australia needs a wake up call and they are getting it!! 

We're doing that one - its out of Boston and includes Greenland too X349 25-DAY CANADA, NEW ENGLAND & ICELAND (hollandamerica.com) - I suspect that the price you are quoting doesn't include port charges (US based pricing neverf does - and there are a lot of port charges).  

I'm not sure how much of Australia you've driven (I've circumnavigated it on land - and i can  asure you its not the cruise companies fault that there are aren't a town  every few hours along the coast! I believe that Portland Main - our fitst stop from Boston is about a 2 hour drive depending o traffic.  There are 5 ports in Iceland - again they are a few hours drive apart. 

Australia is a BIG country.  

You'll also find - that just like here - no one cruises out of Boston in the middle of winter - in fact I think the ship is repositioning there now via the Caribbean 

7 minutes ago, lissie said:

We're doing that one - its out of Boston and includes Greenland too X349 25-DAY CANADA, NEW ENGLAND & ICELAND (hollandamerica.com) - I suspect that the price you are quoting doesn't include port charges (US based pricing neverf does - and there are a lot of port charges).  

I'm not sure how much of Australia you've driven (I've circumnavigated it on land - and i can  asure you its not the cruise companies fault that there are aren't a town  every few hours along the coast! I believe that Portland Main - our fitst stop from Boston is about a 2 hour drive depending o traffic.  There are 5 ports in Iceland - again they are a few hours drive apart. 

You'll also find - that just like here - no one cruises out of Boston in the middle of winter - in fact I think the ship is repositioning there now via the Caribbean 

Congratulations  Bon Voyage  That will be a wonderful interesting port intensive cruise.  

Surely there are more ports in Queensland, cruise ships could arrange to stop at.  A member of the crew on a ship overseas told me of wonderful place their ship stopped at north of Cooktown.  I was ashamed I'd never heard of it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

This looks great itinerary. I've spied a couple on HAL that have perked my interest. I'm okay for time off work, but Pete work  they a bit tighter of what times you can go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

This looks great itinerary. I've spied a couple on HAL that have perked my interest. I'm okay for time off work, but Pete work  they a bit tighter of what times you can go. 

I used to be a HAL fan, as they had such great itineraries in South Pacific also, but they had old ships which weren’t well maintained.