Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

21 hours ago, Sstan said:

I disagree.  Those terms were not given to me by my TA during booking.  I’m no attorney but have studied contract law and think this has merit. 

TA don't convey all the small print however it is sent to you. It's down to you to read the t&gs. I'm sure you won't get far but worth a try if you can. Afford it

12 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Are you sure you want to cancel based on what you read here. 

15 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

My last cruise earlier this year was so-so, and I’m likely going to cancel my Japan cruise based on everything I’ve ready here (assuming I don’t get canceled first). I just don’t trust this company any more.

Reading comprehension.

• Like 1

I have been reading this and wondering what is going on.  I just booked a cruise on Millennium for May 2nd, 2024 with no problem at all.  Had originally booked for May 27th but then realized that would impact out granddaughters high school graduation so had them rebook us to the May 2nd 13-day cruise. 

So I am still now clear what 2024 sailing are being cancelled and who is saying Millennium will not be in Japan in 2024.

IMG_9184.thumb.jpeg.8e9d07d071680b95ae200c8296b40b1f.jpeg

Edited by DaKahuna

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have been reading this and wondering what is going on.  I just booked a cruise on Millennium for May 2nd, 2024 with no problem at all.  Had originally booked for May 27th but then realized that would impact out granddaughters high school graduation so had them rebook us to the May 2nd 13-day cruise. 

So I am still now clear what 2024 sailing are being cancelled and who is saying Millennium will not be in Japan in 2024.

Depends which cabin you’re looking for. Veranda’s are all sold out (and the issue with the overbooking). All other cabins are still available (on May 2/24 anyway). 

11 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

There are 9 sailings of Millennium from September 2023 to April 2024 that have been affected by an overbooking issue. Unfortunately the op of this topic thought that the whole 2024 season on Millennium was cancelled, this is not true.

• Like 2

Just now, XLVIII said:

Depends which cabin you’re looking for. Veranda’s are all sold out (and the issue with the overbooking). All other cabins are still available (on May 2/24 anyway). 

Okay — we had to change stateroom categories as what we had booked for 5/27 was not available on the 5/2 sailing. 

We are booked on the 16th March 2024 sailing. I am still totally confused whether this is going ahead. I contacted X and they stated it was cancelled. I contacted my TA and they said they hadn't been informed of that. Who do I believe? 

1 minute ago, susan450 said:

We are booked on the 16th March 2024 sailing. I am still totally confused whether this is going ahead. I contacted X and they stated it was cancelled. I contacted my TA and they said they hadn't been informed of that. Who do I believe? 

I would believe my TA, but I would trust and verify by having them verify with Celebrity vs just not having been told.  

We were booked on the 16th of March also. Had a balcony cabin selected, my reservation was from a big box travel agent. I received no notice of overbooking. My friend had a reservation from Celebrity with a confirmed balcony cabin next to ours. My friend received an email and phone call from Celebrity that their cabin was overbooked. I never received anything from my big box travel agent. So I called today to my big box travel agency, she did not see any cancellation on my reservation, so I had her call Celebrity.  Celebrity said indeed my reservation was affected. What I don't understand is why Celebrity did not send anything to our big box travel agency. So I think more people will be cancelled and they do not know it as of yet. I cancelled and will be doing a land vacation in Japan instead. So sad Celebrity doesn't care what's happening to their customer loyalty. 😕

I have contacted my TA to ask celebrity regarding this. Still waiting and waiting for a reply back. However I have come to learn they are not the best TA's. I have also messaged X and they haven't replied either.

Ours is a balcony cabin. It's very frustrating

49 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

@pukekolive posted this screenshot of the 9 affected sailings:img_1_1681783961816.thumb.jpg.b0686c9c69

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, susan450 said:

I have contacted my TA to ask celebrity regarding this. Still waiting and waiting for a reply back. However I have come to learn they are not the best TA's. I have also messaged X and they haven't replied either.

Ours is a balcony cabin. It's very frustrating

I'm also on tenterhooks as we booked April 2022 for 24 October 2023 and I have a tour guide waiting for confirmation of tours in Tokyo precruise and Kamakura post cruise. The tours are refundable but require payment in full not just a deposit.

1 hour ago, southwestie said:

TA don't convey all the small print however it is sent to you. It's down to you to read the t&gs. I'm sure you won't get far but worth a try if you can. Afford it

I said early on that I do not have dog in the fight.  To date my reservation has not been canceled (knock wood).  My point in posting was for those that have incurred significant financial loss may have options.  There have clearly been hundreds from reading the 29 pages of posts here who will not be compensated for their losses.

One post accurately described the class action process.  It is not funded out of pocket but on a contingency basis.  In my case the big box TA did not send me X’s T’s&C’s - I just rechecked. I was sent my cancellation rights not theirs.  Nevertheless I’m questioning whether X’s ‘contract’ would protect them from damages. Especially when the way they ‘exhausted all options’ was disclosed.

Edited by Sstan

55 minutes ago, Sstan said:

I said early on that I do not have dog in the fight.  To date my reservation has not been canceled (knock wood).  My point in posting was for those that have incurred significant financial loss may have options.  There have clearly been hundreds from reading the 29 pages of posts here who will not be compensated for their losses.

One post accurately described the class action process.  It is not funded out of pocket but on a contingency basis.  In my case the big box TA did not send me X’s T’s&C’s - I just rechecked. I was sent my cancellation rights not theirs.  Nevertheless I’m questioning whether X’s ‘contract’ would protect them from damages. Especially when the way they ‘exhausted all options’ was disclosed.

Hope it works.

1 hour ago, hellokittyluver said:

We were booked on the 16th of March also. Had a balcony cabin selected, my reservation was from a big box travel agent. I received no notice of overbooking. My friend had a reservation from Celebrity with a confirmed balcony cabin next to ours. My friend received an email and phone call from Celebrity that their cabin was overbooked. I never received anything from my big box travel agent. So I called today to my big box travel agency, she did not see any cancellation on my reservation, so I had her call Celebrity.  Celebrity said indeed my reservation was affected. What I don't understand is why Celebrity did not send anything to our big box travel agency. So I think more people will be cancelled and they do not know it as of yet. I cancelled and will be doing a land vacation in Japan instead. So sad Celebrity doesn't care what's happening to their customer loyalty. 😕

oh boy 😞

Did you book directly with the TA from the start, or move the reservation to the TA after booking initially with Celebrity?

I Ran across a YouTube 7 min video on this issue from “Zach The Traveling Man”  posted 11 days ago  with 20,000 views so far.  He posts a lot of Celebrity cruise videos with mostly favorable  reviews but in this video he was very critical of Celebrity when his September 2023 Japan cruise was cancelled just months before the cruise. A lot of people use YouTube for reviews and info on travel. There’s no new info in the video but at least the word is spreading. Hopefully at some point Celebrity will take some action to restore customer confidence if their reputation takes enough of a hit. 

• Like 1

@Sstan You think you are giving people options but you are wrong.

Do you think a contract you entered into (by paying a deposit) and plan to take advantage of (by cruising) is not enforceable against you because you didn't read it?  

Leave legal opining to lawyers, please. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To the OP, I was wondering if it might be time to change the name of this thread. I thought about starting another one to let those not going to Japan know what might happen to them in similar circumstances but maybe changing the title to something like "Oversold Cabins: How Celebrity Deals with this (or mishandles this -- take your choice).  Would love for the rest of Celebrity cruisers to know what's going on since it could be any of us on any cruise that this happens to and many people see the title of "Japan Cancelled" and just thing it doesn't apply to them. 

• Like 3

On 4/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, mahdnc said:

Let me restate my question: when's the last time we received a report from someone having just been notified that their booking has been cancelled?

I just got my email from my TA this morning, Saturday, April 29 at around 9:52am that Celebrity has cancelled my Japan cruise for March 16-28, 2024. I asked him why & he told me that apparently they overbooked the cruise & they are offering to move it to 2025 on 3 select sailings or offer a refund on the money I have paid. It will be cancelled automatically on Monday, May 1, 2023 and I will be refunded. My husband & I are devastated because I booked that Japan cruise last June 22, 2022 & we will meet our friend & hubby from UK in that same cruise (I even asked her if they were cancelled too but her TA is not available until Monday). We are from Calgary, AB, Canada.

• Thanks 1

I have spoken with our UK travel agent directly twice about this and both times they have said they had heard nothing.  We booked relatively recently for a guarantee balcony cabin for the April 9th 2024 sailing so I would have thought we’d be obvious candidates for cancellation - I hope they aren’t delaying telling us to keep hold of our significant deposit. 

• Like 1