Jamaica and Grand Cayman, what to do?

angip0822

So, we have never been to either Jamaica or the Grand Caymans.  We are heading that way on the Carnival Glory in November, and don't see any excursions that look appealing.  What is recommended for a married couple to do while at port that is something we can do on our own?  Anyone have any suggestions?

In Grand Cayman there are group taxis to Public Beach where you can rent chairs and umbrellas. There are restrooms and food vendors there. In Jamaica, if your port is Ocho Rios there is a public beach at the marina (take a left just outside of the port) that has a small admission fee (I think $3.00) and chair/umbrella rentals - a five minute walk max. While the water is not that great the beach is fairly quiet. There are also restrooms and food and drinks are close by outside the gates. The beach attendants will also bring food and drinks at a mark up. We have also done day passes at all-inclusive resorts - we liked the Riu in Ocho Rios.

• Like 1

We visited Hell and mailed out the proverbial postcards from there to relatives and friends but other than that we were not impressed with GC.  In Jamaica we rented jet skis and went out with a tour group, it was a blast!  The need for speed was the name of the game that day and did not disappoint, some people went on jet ski single and others had a rider on back if that was a better idea for them.  I am sure you can do that on your own (not CCL excursion), either way it really was fun and the water that day was so calm.  

Edited by Drazil65

1 hour ago, angip0822 said:

So, we have never been to either Jamaica or the Grand Caymans.  We are heading that way on the Carnival Glory in November, and don't see any excursions that look appealing.  What is recommended for a married couple to do while at port that is something we can do on our own?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.  Recommend you check out the port of call section for lots of good info on things to do and places to see.

Jamaica:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/67-jamaica/

Cayman Islands:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/89-cayman-islands/

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Welcome to the forum.  Recommend you check out the port of call section for lots of good info on things to do and places to see.

Jamaica:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/67-jamaica/

Cayman Islands:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/89-cayman-islands/

Enjoy your cruise.

This is great information! Thank you!

The Stingray Bar is a cool stop and Rum Point is good for a bite and cold one or several.  I could live at Rum Point.  There are several places along 7 Mile Beach where you can veg.  We went to Smith Cove once and Cemetary Beach once.  Snorkeling wasn't great but we did see some fish and even kissed a ray.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

which port in Jam'? Very different recommendations depending on the place ......

In Cayman my fav' this to do is snorkel AWAY from where the crowds go and for me this means heading down to Sunset House. Just a mile from the tender landings but that's far enuf that few cruise folks venture so far. My Bar is a large open air thatch roof place with good drinks good food and good people - a great place to chill and a great place to shore snorkel for free - rental equipment available.image.thumb.png.320d2ffbd64464812edfbcc2c3ac4b4d.png

https://www.sunsethouse.com/

image.thumb.png.c9537d262504bf9f41f74d86802a3542.png

me and daughter visiting My Bar soon after she was certified to dive - building dive experience before an internship at CocoView resort in Roatan thru Univ of 'Bama .....  

image.png.e072401569f8bc1a2e0f89d17bc42438.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, angip0822 said:

What date are you sailing on the Glory in November? I'll be on the November 12-19 sailing.

For GCM we highly recommend Fat Fish Adventures. Small group on jet skis, you hit Stingray City with fewer boats there than with the options mentioned, plus the reef and possibly Rum Point or another beach stop. Great crew and fun day, can’t recommend them highly enough! If you can take the last excursion of the day you get an extra hour…

https://fatfishadventures.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147365-d1006098-Reviews-Fat_Fish_Adventures-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

On 4/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, ontheweb said:

And it's not worth it; Hell in Grand Cayman is just a tourist trap!

The turtle farm there is worthwhile visiting.

We wouldn’t waste our time with either, but if you’ve done everything else here or are not interested in the water excursions they are something to do…

34 minutes ago, blue_water said:

We wouldn’t waste our time with either, but if you’ve done everything else here or are not interested in the water excursions they are something to do…

People enjoy different things. I enjoyed the turtle farm. I guess someone might enjoy "going to hell", but I saw it as just a tourist trap.

And I am not a beach person.

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

People enjoy different things. I enjoyed the turtle farm. I guess someone might enjoy "going to hell", but I saw it as just a tourist trap.

And I am not a beach person.

Yes everyone is different for sure! 
we visited the farm and hell while staying on the island to kill some time. I do think it is a good choice for young kids if just seeing the island sights. But so many are disappointed in both of these that it helps if you research them beforehand…

Edited by blue_water