How difficult is the walk from the tour bus parking to the Parthenon?

mikebsxm

We're two, mid-70's, reasonably healthy seniors who want to see the Parthenon on a cruise ship port call in Athens in mid June 2023.  We are capable of walking a mile or so with no problems.  Do most tours from the ship drop you at the bus parking lot and you have a specific free time period to walk up and back down on your own ?  Or does the guide stay with you ?  We, obviously, will need to stop and take a break a few times while walking up.  We wouldn't want a tour guide hassling us to "keep up" with the group.  

What kind of walk is it ?  I've seen YT videos showing long paths with occasional steps.  We wouldn't want to spend money on the tour, only to find that half way up, we couldn't make it all the way.  Any one in our age bracket who has done this walk recently, and can comment on it ?

We weren't on a tour, just DIY from the cruise ship.  My mother was 82 at the time, so I was almost 60.  We walked 20 minutes to the subway, then up to the Parthenon.  We didn't have any problems. You can't help but stop frequently to look at the views. If anything it was more difficult at the top; lots of uneven surfaces and some were slippery due to being so well worn.  Afterwards, we walked down to watch the changing of the guard and wandered around the shops for a bit. 

If you're concerned about it, skip the tour,  take a cab from the ship to the ticket gate and use an audio guide like Rick Steves.  

• Like 1

I did it 3 years ago,I was 67 & able to walk distances, with brief breaks. The issues I had, wasn't the distance, it was the steep uphill walking. Remember, it's on top of a "high" hill. We had a private tour, so we were at our own schedule. Make sure you wear a hat. It was extremely hot, with not much shade. There's no handrails .Wide steps, but mainly curvy walkways. No problem going downhill, LOL. Do it again? No. Regret doing it? No, Glad I did. They need golf carts .At least part way up, but not gong to happen.  Not Florida. You have to go up, as you can't see anything from the bottom. Only from a distance. Hope this helps.

We haven't been for about seven years (and the pictures I attached are even older so might not be accurate).  But the long paths and occasional steps the OP describes make me think of the area before the ticket booths to just after the ticket gates.  I think these areas would be fine for the OP.

The steep uphill walking that touringbee references makes me think of the steps/area near the top where the OP may need to take their time.   

+1 to some uneven surfaces at the top that mapleleaves describes where you just have to be careful. 

DSC_0964a.jpg

DSC_0965a.jpg

DSC_0062a.jpg

DSC_0083a.jpg

• Like 2

I believe the one time I went up with a guide, they led us as a group all the way up the steps and on to the top flat area.  They then gave us an intro to the various buildings and walked us around.  Then they set us free to explore on our own for a while, with a meet up time somewhere.  I don’t recall where.  I think if you are falling behind, just ask the guide where to meet them at the end of the visit.  

As the above posters say, the steep walkway from the ticket booth to the top is where you will slow down.  Some of the steps are taller than what we use today.  So it will take a bit of work to get up them. But it can be done!  Give it a try.  

Those big rocks that serve as steps at the Parthenon can be tricky, especially since there are no handrails. They are very worn and therefore a little slippery. If you are there on a rainy day, be prepared for very slippery steps! If you have good waterproof footwear, that will be a huge help. If you can get there, go! It was amazing!!

Most of the walk is gradual until you get to the steep bit. I’m only five feet tall and not in good shape, some of those steps are high for my short legs but definitely doable.

I’ve been three times in the past 15 years and am going again this year. To walk in the steps of history is amazing. I went with the cruise tour and none of the guides scooted us along. I hope your experience is wonderful!

Milhouse, your photos are great!

I went with my mom, aged 73 at the time, who did not have any mobility issues but also not particularly fit. She did not have problems completing the walk.

Most cruise excursions called a “tour” will include a guide as there is a lot to see and understand at the top. As mentioned, there is usually a place near the top where groups stop and guides do a bit of scene setting. It also provided an opportunity for slower walkers to catch up,

• 11 months later...

Hey all, this may be a silly question but was wondering if there was any restrooms at the Acropolis/parthenon? I just want to be ready, or know in advance if there was no restrooms or not.

3 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Hey all, this may be a silly question but was wondering if there was any restrooms at the Acropolis/parthenon? I just want to be ready, or know in advance if there was no restrooms or not.

Yes there are restrooms at the base by the ticket booths.  There are also restrooms up on Acropolis Hill but there are no signs and hard to find.  If you are walking towards the lookout over Athens with your back to the Parthenon, they are down to your right.  There was no charge in March 2024.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes there are restrooms at the base by the ticket booths.  There are also restrooms up on Acropolis Hill but there are no signs and hard to find.  If you are walking towards the lookout over Athens with your back to the Parthenon, they are down to your right.  There was no charge in March 2024.

Wow what a relief, thank goodness they have washrooms lol. I appreciate the reply, it was very helpful. 

For those still following this thread, we were at the Acropolis in March 2024.  There are now stainless steel railings in many of the more difficult stair areas.  In older photos there were ropes between poles on the stairs.  There is still some of that but basically to keep folks from climbing where they aren't supposed to go.

I was so questioning my ability to do this hike.  We decided to do it on our own having thoroughly read the history and familiarizing ourselves with the different structures and gods.  Plus we wanted to enter at the Southern Slopes which Viking tours don't do, they just focus on the Hill.  I was surprised how easy it was.  Most of it up the Southern Slopes way and back down to the main entrance was walking along wide gradual paths with a short step up to the next path.  When we got to the stairs there were railings in most areas.  The stairs seemed to have been improved as i noticed most of them had sharp squared edges which worn over the centuries marble would not have.  Once on top there were wide flat areas where folks could walk to see everything.  You did not have to walk on the rocky grassy area unless you chose to.  The hardest part for me were the young school groups when walking down.  They stop for no one and exit en masse.  I just hung on to my railing and let them pass.

DSC03246_1.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jayhoaps said:

Wow what a relief, thank goodness they have washrooms lol. I appreciate the reply, it was very helpful. 

I know.  A tour guide we had out in the countryside of Croatia told our bus group that she never had folks whose main focus was on restroom locations.  We laughed and said you must not have guided a group of seniors before.

• Haha 1

Just a note of caution ................

The Piraeus to Athens ho-ho bus goes via the Acropolis entrance.

But unless it's been changed in the last few years, the "Athens on your own" transfer bus (Royal Caribbean, perhaps others) drops everyone at Syntagma Square, by the Parliament building - a 15 min walk to the Acropolis entrance.

Somewhere there's an elevator. It's only for those unable to walk up, and I don't know its location.

Worth researching if its important to you.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jb12 said:

Are there a lot of  scaffolds and missing columns at Parthenon?

Yes one end is all scaffolding. It does not take away the awe factor though.  These ancient monuments will continuously be under repair.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

Somewhere there's an elevator. It's only for those unable to walk up, and I don't know its location.

Worth researching if its important to you.

JB 🙂

Here is the elevator info.

• Like 1

I was in Athens more than 20 years ago and some missing columns were getting ready for Olympics.  The other ones were still somewhere in England.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jb12 said:

I was in Athens more than 20 years ago and some missing columns were getting ready for Olympics.  The other ones were still somewhere in England.

Most of the metopes (known as the Elgin Marbles) and are in the British Museum in England. The originals of the remaining metopes are in the Acropolis Museum. Copies have been placed in the Parthenon. 

What remains of the columns are in place in the Acropolis and are being restored in a process that has been ongoing for many years.

The originals of the Caryatids are in the Acropolis Museum and copies have been placed in the Erectheion.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, TayanaLorna said:

For those still following this thread, we were at the Acropolis in March 2024.  There are now stainless steel railings in many of the more difficult stair areas.  In older photos there were ropes between poles on the stairs.  There is still some of that but basically to keep folks from climbing where they aren't supposed to go.

I was so questioning my ability to do this hike.  We decided to do it on our own having thoroughly read the history and familiarizing ourselves with the different structures and gods.  Plus we wanted to enter at the Southern Slopes which Viking tours don't do, they just focus on the Hill.  I was surprised how easy it was.  Most of it up the Southern Slopes way and back down to the main entrance was walking along wide gradual paths with a short step up to the next path.  When we got to the stairs there were railings in most areas.  The stairs seemed to have been improved as i noticed most of them had sharp squared edges which worn over the centuries marble would not have.  Once on top there were wide flat areas where folks could walk to see everything.  You did not have to walk on the rocky grassy area unless you chose to.  The hardest part for me were the young school groups when walking down.  They stop for no one and exit en masse.  I just hung on to my railing and let them pass.

DSC03246_1.JPG

Do you have recommendations on the best  source material on the history of the site?

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

Do you have recommendations on the best  source material on the history of the site?

Yes.  There is an excellent U-Tube video and other sources I used.  When are you going?  I need to search my bookmarks for the trip.  Will do but I am traveling tomorrow to visit friends and family in the states so give me some time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes.  There is an excellent U-Tube video and other sources I used.  When are you going?  I need to search my bookmarks for the trip.  Will do but I am traveling tomorrow to visit friends and family in the states so give me some time.

We will be there pre-cruise 8/30-9/1 and post cruise 9/10-9/11. So, not a lot of time. But, we’re staying at Athens/Gate, which I understand is within walking distance of a lot of sites! 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh351.jsp?obj_id=2384

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-greece/acropolis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acropolis_of_Athens

https://www.ancient-greece.org/history/acropolis.html

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1