Royal Ups, sold out and TA rooms

I have been told that even though a cruise may show as sold out on Royals site, that may or may not be true because TAs purchase/hold blocks of rooms. If this is true, how long do TAs hold the rooms before releasing them? I could be making all kinds of wrong assumptions but I would assume those are used for Royals Ups? 

Travel agents generally release cabins after final payment.  Royal Up is for last minute cancellations and empty cabins never sold.

Cruising this weekend.  Only a couple of cabins available on out TA on Enchantment.  Wouldn't be surprised if we sail full as the QM2 just cancelled it's TA for same day.

15 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

I have been told that even though a cruise may show as sold out on Royals site, that may or may not be true because TAs purchase/hold blocks of rooms. If this is true, how long do TAs hold the rooms before releasing them? I could be making all kinds of wrong assumptions but I would assume those are used for Royals Ups? 

Agree, any blocks of cabins TAs were holding are long released since before final payment released as the other poster said.

If the cruise is showing sold out there still may be some no shows which could be used for royal ups. That's about the only way cabins are released last minute. That's why they say the royal up could happen after you board. Little to no chance unless you bid a lot if sold out imo.

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree, any blocks of cabins TAs were holding are long released since before final payment released as the other poster said.

If the cruise is showing sold out there still may be some no shows which could be used for royal ups. That's about the only way cabins are released last minute. That's why they say the royal up could happen after you board. Little to no chance unless you bid a lot if sold out imo.

I just checked my June Oasis sailing. A TA is showing 6 one bedroom grand suites and the Royal page is showing them as sold out. 

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

Royal take back all space that TA's are holding...and it is space only not actual rooms 120 days prior to sailing.  This in now way affects the inventory for Royal Up

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal take back all space that TA's are holding...and it is space only not actual rooms 120 days prior to sailing.  This in now way affects the inventory for Royal Up

Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hancock said:

Travel agents generally release cabins after final payment.  Royal Up is for last minute cancellations and empty cabins never sold.

Cruising this weekend.  Only a couple of cabins available on out TA on Enchantment.  Wouldn't be surprised if we sail full as the QM2 just cancelled it's TA for same day.

Nope.  All group space is recalled either at the 180 day review or at the latest 120 days to sailing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RosieRoo said:

I don’t think anyone can figure out Royal Up. I just won an upgrade bid on a cruise that was showing sold out and I was notified thirty days prior to the sailing. 

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. Lol. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hancock said:

Although the Cunard cancellation was westbound, unlike Enchantment. (I had the same thought for my May 1 Anthem sailing to the UK).
I feel very sorry for the QM2 passengers left abandoned in SOUTHAMPTON.

Susan

10 minutes ago, MaisonRose said:

Although the Cunard cancellation was westbound, unlike Enchantment. (I had the same thought for my May 1 Anthem sailing to the UK).
I feel very sorry for the QM2 passengers left abandoned in SOUTHAMPTON.

Susan

The eastbound return sailing on QM2 was also canceled.